Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"If the male victim from that accident is allowed to keep his gold medal (without question) from the Sydney 200m, why is there SO MUCH debate concerning the possibility of the female motorcycle accident victim being awarded the 100m gold that was once owned by Jones?"

Hmmm... Veddy interesting question! There clearly are NO clear or easy answers in this entire situation. One answer (a modest proposal) is that we simply agree that Olympic gold medals don't really mean very much and, therefore, it may not really matter who has them and who doesn't. Or is that just too drastic?

Comment

Originally posted by trackstar
      Originally posted by TrakFan
      Interestingly, it seems more "venom" is directed towards the women?
      I don't see it that way. I seem to remember some pretty serious hate getting whipped 20 years ago (damn, has it really been that long?) against Ben Johnson.
      Unfortunately, we can't measure the two scenarios w/ the same protocol. No internet in the '80s, so the booboisie couldn't weigh in on Johnson. If I had to reduce it to street language, I'd say that if there was one word to describe the reaction to Jacobs and Jones it would be "bitch," whereas in Johnson's day, it was merely "dumb shit." (same phrase probably applies to Monty 15 years later)

Comment

Originally posted by TrakFan

Even among the Greek "motorcycle accident victims".... If the male victim from that accident is allowed to keep his gold medal (without question) from the Sydney 200m, why is there SO MUCH debate concerning the possibility of the female motorcycle accident victim being awarded the 100m gold that was once owned by Jones?
        I actually have far more issues with KK that ET but at least he's had the good grace to retire.

If there was any possibilty that he could have hios medal taken away I'm sure there would be just as much discussion on the issue. Unfortunately there isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by kuha
          Or is that just too drastic?
          Perception is a lot stronger emotion than reality. Your viewpoint remains different than that of some of us .
          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
            Originally posted by gh
            =Why does she deserve venom more than anyone else?
            The bigger they are, the harder they fall. She, more than almost all of the other drug-busted athletes, was one of the giants of track and field. Everyone wanted her to be clean. Everyone wanted that engaging smile to make others smile when they thought of her and our sport. Because of what she was, her admission really hurt the sport. I can see why many people who are passionate about track feel angry.
            In my opinion the reason that MJ is getting so much vitriol thrown her way is twofold. One is because she, on numerous occasions, so emphatically denied the use of PEDs. Two is because she has a history of being a bitch (apparently turned on and off seemingly at will - maybe PED related??) In any event, my feeling is that the venom is overdone.

Comment

Originally posted by mj
              However, I have a friend who was a local sportscaster who hated dealing with her. He says her attitude towards reporters was horrible. He couldn't stand her.
              Maybe she knew she had something to hide from reporters but not from fans...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                Originally posted by mj
                However, I have a friend who was a local sportscaster who hated dealing with her. He says her attitude towards reporters was horrible. He couldn't stand her.
                Maybe she knew she had something to hide from reporters but not from fans...
                No. The reality is that MJ clearly was/is a complex personality (like most!), and could be both gracious and rude. Not a big surprise, really. I saw her several times when she was absolutely horrible to fans and that shaped my own opinion of her. However, I don't doubt in the slightest the reports of others that she was charming. A few people are wonderful to all; a few are horrible to all; and the great majority are a mixed bag.

Comment

Working...
                X