Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obscure marathon produces good times 20822

the great lake national marathon in kisimu (whereever that is) produced some good times elius kiptum won in 20822 beating a small but good field of 65 runners, second was 20944, third was 20959, the womens winner ran 237, the article said the 42km race was run in very hot conditions.
    my source is runnersweb.com

Re: obscure marathon produces good times 20822

Originally posted by doug091463
    the great lake national marathon in kisimu (whereever that is)
    It's in Kenya--the lake is Lake Victoria. It's generally spelled Kisumu.

Comment

Kisumu also has an altitude of 1190m; do we buy the course measurement?

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        2:08 at 1000+ ?!! That's just reeeedickalus.

Comment

Well it is a little short if only 42km...

Comment

Originally posted by tafnut
            Originally posted by gh
            2:08 at 1000+ ?!! That's just reeeedickalus.
            No, that's Kenya. You saw the debut at Fukuoka. These guys just keep popping out of the car, like 1000 clowns :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Something sounds wrong, doesn't it. I wonder what the road stat nerds will make of it.

Comment

Originally posted by mike renfro
                No, that's Kenya. You saw the debut at Fukuoka. These guys just keep popping out of the car, like 1000 clowns :shock:
                You haven't been paying much attention if you believe Wanjiru just popped out of nowhere, marathon debut or not.
                Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Kisumu has held short marathons in the past . . . well, at least one.

In 1984, the Kenyan OT marathon was held in Kisumu. The top 3 ran something like 2:10 - 2:11. The winner, Kumurgor arap Ngeny, had won a marathon in Nairobi a few months previously in 2:20+. Now, the Nairobi course was exceptionally difficult - lots of ups and downs, with elevation ranging from 5000' to 6000' - but a ten-minute improvement seemed unlikely. I had measured the Nairobi course, and knew it was accurate.

The Kenya AAA asked me to remeasure the Kisumu course. Work obligations kept me in Nairobi, but Robert Ouko, 1972 4x4 gold medallist, borrowed my Jones counter and found the course to be something like 1500m short.

BTW, Kumurgor ended up DNF in LA.

Comment

nathan kosgei won a half marathon in 10156 according to iaaf .org in nyeri kenya, a general rule in converting half to full marathons is double your half marathon time and add 6 minutes, so maybe some of these runners can do 210 or better at altitude, one things almost certain there will be lots of sub 209 marathoners that nobody has heard about before in the coming years and most will be from kenya. the kumisu race is not listed on either the iaaf site or tilastopaja so i am guessing it was short.

Comment

David Monti's take on this (in his Race Results Weekly):
                      your editor considers the distance doubtful, especially since the report said that the conditions were hot.

Comment

Working...
                      X