Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No love for Ohuruogu

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/athletics/s ... rss&feed=7

According to the article Ohuruogu's total votes were the lowest ever for anyone nominated for the BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award.

How they polled:
    • 1. Joe Calzaghe 177,748 (28.19%)
      2. Lewis Hamilton 122,649 (19.45%)
      3. Ricky Hatton 85,280 (13.53%)
      4. James Toseland 84,570 (13.41%)
      5. Jason Robinson 67,061 (10.64%)
      6. Paula Radcliffe 34,895 (5.53%)
      7. J Wilkinson 30,302 (4.81%)
      8. A Murray 13,242 (2.1%)
      9. J Rose 10,227 (1.62%)
      10. C Ohuruogu 4,481 (0.71%)

Is this about lack of exposure or some genuine animosity? I'm more shocked that Lewis Hamilton didn't win...

Comment

Originally posted by AS
      Is this about lack of exposure or some genuine animosity? I'm more shocked that Lewis Hamilton didn't win...
      I thought Hamilton was a lock, although Calzaghe's last fight was fresh in everyones minds.

I would doubt there is animosity but any lingering doubts from the fans might be enough to make them vote for someone else. Also Radcliffe, the average athletics fans sentimental favourite, would pull some of her votes too.

Comment

And in the end Hamilton didn't win a world title did he?

Comment

Originally posted by AS
          And in the end Hamilton didn't win a world title did he?
          True, but he had plenty of opportunity to air his charisma. Besides the British embrace their losers too. Sometimes we have no other option.

Comment

Given the fact that the media have given her such an awful image, it's not particularly surprising. It doesn't help that Christine doesn't have the charisma of somebody like Paula Radcliffe either, who got one of the biggest cheers of the night.

I was actually surprised that Paula even made the shortlist but I think she has to be a lock, if she wins Olympic gold next year. When she won in 2002, she got over 600,000 votes!!

I don't even know why on earth Andy Murray was on the short-list. He has spent most of the season injured, missed two of the Grand Slams and got knocked out at an early stage in the US Open. Jamie Murray would have been a much more suitable candidate.

None of our cyclists were on the list either :?
            http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Originally posted by nevetsllim
              Given the fact that the media have given her such an awful image, it's not particularly surprising. It doesn't help that Christine doesn't have the charisma of somebody like Paula Radcliffe either, who got one of the biggest cheers of the night.

I was actually surprised that Paula even made the shortlist but I think she has to be a lock, if she wins Olympic gold next year. When she won in 2002, she got over 600,000 votes!!

I don't even know why on earth Andy Murray was on the short-list. He has spent most of the season injured, missed two of the Grand Slams and got knocked out at an early stage in the US Open. Jamie Murray would have been a much more suitable candidate.

None of our cyclists were on the list either :?
              Well, it's called Sports Personality of the Year, not Athlete of the Year, so that may explain some of the choices.
              Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

That didn't stop David Beckham winning it...

Comment

Or Steve Davis, Damon Hill and Nigel Mansell.

Comment

I think "personality" is used by the BBC instead of "man or woman".

"Sports man or woman of the year" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :?

Comment

Yes, but if they had made it something like Sports Star of the Year, they would have avoided or at least lessened the consideration of personality issues in the voting.

Comment

Re: No love for Ohuruogu

If it's to do with personality, take these out:

1. Joe Calzaghe 177,748 (28.19%)
                        3. Ricky Hatton 85,280 (13.53%)
                        8. A Murray 13,242 (2.1%)

If it's to do with Sports, take these out:

2. Lewis Hamilton 122,649 (19.45%)
                        4. James Toseland 84,570 (13.41%)
                        9. J Rose 10,227 (1.62%)

These have their own team award:

5. Jason Robinson 67,061 (10.64%)
                        7. J Wilkinson 30,302 (4.81%)

So we're left with:

6. Paula Radcliffe 34,895 (5.53%)
                        10. C Ohuruogu 4,481 (0.71%)

P.S. If a motor car driver can be nominated, why not just give the award to Jeremy Clarkson?

Comment

We Brits are frequently bordering on the crazy where Sport is concerned, and never more so than this year.. Sentiment gone barmy.!

This BBC programme has been on since 1954, the Year of Roger Bannister who did not win because the Beeb thought that the public could not remember further back than October, when TV showed a great race between , Chatawy/Kuts. Roger only smashed the WR in the May, and beat Landy in the Commonwealth and won the Europeans that year.

The whole show gives many, obviously, the comfort of choosing somebody who is a so -called personality ,which is a word that does not have or should not have any place in choosing a best performer or best achiever. My dictionary definition of the word '' personality'' does not seem to connect with the word ''winner'' or ''best' or ''World Champion''

When we have watched the show in byegone years, the public did not have the sole vote ,if any, and the geniuses chose one year as a winner the most boring but talented guy on Planet Earth, but at least a World. Snooker champion.At least six countries played the Game. Brilliant.!

This years field did not include in the top ten a triple winner in the World Cycling Champs, Victoria Pendleton, but in cluded Paula who had a baby in January.Aaaahhhh.!!! If only Pendleton was a TV celeb on Come Dancing or Big Brother or some other crap,

Also voted in 3rd place was Hatton, who won a boxing fight but was thrashed in the one that mattered; described on the Beeb early on Sunday morning as a ''gallant loser''.

What you ask was Murray doing there; well he filled the columns of the middle class papers with not much else but his injured wrist. In the top ten, yeah!!!!

One could go on, but really, posters, is there a more blatantly stupid programme and competition than SPOTY. Wonder they did not push for Fallon, the nasty jockey, ; now there's a Personality for you. Bit dysfunctional though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon
                            I think "personality" is used by the BBC instead of "man or woman".

"Sports man or woman of the year" just doesn't have the same ring to it. :?
                            How about 'Sports Performer of the Year''? Thereby bypassing any sniggering over personality bypass sufferers?

Comment

It didnt help that the intro piece for the athletics slot was about Marion Jones. When we got to Christine, it again focused on her doping ban. The BBC also weren't completely explicit that the ban was due to missed tests either, it was just 'return from doping ban'. I thought when Christine came on stage Sue Barker (the presenter) was quite solemn with her too.

Christine didnt help herself by wearing a dress that made her look like a body builder - cover up those shoulders 'n' arms, luv!
                              "If Gaby worked as hard with the weights as she did with her tongue she'd have a different concept of beauty. To get performances like mine, she'd have to sacrifice some of her good looks. The women of the west dont work as hard as we do" JK

Comment

Working...
                              X