X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2007:s 10-Best Moments for American Distance Runners Lists

http://www.runningusa.org/media/wire200 ... tml#story1

What is your top-10 list for 2007?

They have more non-track events and have priorities off. They think that Tegenkamp missing WC medal by 0.03 is not as good as his 2-mile record. However, having seen him go through 2200m under 5:30 is already on-par with the two mile, which is an obscure record worth about 7:31. That is pretty good, especially for early season. However, he beat (the lesser) Bekele and several others for the almost medaling. I would have that near #4 or #5.

To have a WC 3rd better than a double Gold is to display the notion that Lagat is not an American; however, if he is not then he should not be #3. Hard to put anything ahead of Lagat's double, even Hall's Trials race (the HM was #5 and London #4).

They have Rupp's 27:33 at #10 but do not even have Solinsky's 13:12 in the Honorable mention but the 13:12 ~27:24 and Solinsky was not so long out of college. His 7:36 was also noteworthy but not by the listing.

Top five at NCAAs XC being Americans sits pretty high, and Lopez Lomong is a pretty good college find and can't say that Rupp did better than he did over the course of the year. Note that on the track Rupp LOST the important college race - the 10,000 where he was a heavy favorite and could not win as the reigning American collegiate record holder.

Comment

Lagat's double has to be #1, no doubt about it. I'd put Goucher's bronze #2, then I have a hard time deciding which is next, Teg's 4th in the 5K or Hall's London debut, which I think trumps his Trials race.

1. Lagat's double
      2. Goucher's 10K bronze
      3. Teg's 4th place
      4. Hall's London debut
      5. Hall's OT race
      6. Webb's mile AR
      7. Hall's half-marathon
      8. Goucher's half-marathon win over Radcliffe
      9. Flanagan's 5K AR
      10. Flanagan's indoor 3K record
      11. Rupp's 10K US collegiate record
      12. Solinsky's 5K

Comment

Dr Jay

I really like your list, but would rate Flanagan's 5K a little higher - about 5th. Well done!

Comment

Correction - I meant to say 7th! I really should preview my entries!

Comment

Yes, Dr. Jay, I too like your list...made me realize it was a pretty good year for USA distance running! But I would put Webb's 3:30.54 Paris Grand Prix win in there somewhere.

Comment

Re: 2007:s 10-Best Moments for American Distance Runners Lis

Originally posted by EPelle
              http://www.runningusa.org/media/wire2007/Wire2007-102.html#story1

What is your top-10 list for 2007?
              The guy that wrote this article is also part of the problem with US distance running. If our press can't even get the best US accomplishments right then what is the point. Ryan Hall winning the trials is not a world beating event, but Webb running a 3:46 certainly is. This is one of the most flawed top ten yearly lists I have ever seen.

Comment

Runner X winning the OT Marathon is not news in itself, as an American is going to win the race. However, the manner of that victory was STUNNING; in my opinion better than the win the next day by Lel, who will be the marathoner of the year but would not be if Hall had run the next day because Hall would have won that race.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                  Runner X winning the OT Marathon is not news in itself, as an American is going to win the race. However, the manner of that victory was STUNNING; in my opinion better than the win the next day by Lel, who will be the marathoner of the year but would not be if Hall had run the next day because Hall would have won that race.
                  I find it strange Teg's 2 mile record is on the list, but not Webb's mile record. Neither the two or one mile is an official Olympic event. I think the author may have an axe to grind with Webb. Anyone really could come up with a better list than that one. Just who do we have covering track and field in this country?

Comment

Looks like they are a "distance running" group and consider the two mile a distance event , but not the mile:

" Although technically not a distance event, Alan Webb's U.S. mile record deserves recognition. On Saturday, July 21 in Brasschaat, Belgium at the low-key Flanders Cup, Webb, who has a 27:34.72 debut 10,000m to his credit, broke Steve Scott's 25-year-old U.S. mile record (3:47.69) with his stunning 3:46.91 (#8 all-time individual)."

Comment

Originally posted by BYU grad
                      Yes, Dr. Jay, I too like your list...made me realize it was a pretty good year for USA distance running! But I would put Webb's 3:30.54 Paris Grand Prix win in there somewhere.
                      I thought about that one, too, just didn't add it. Maybe after Flanagan's 3K and before Rupp's 10K?

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
                        I thought about that one, too, just didn't add it. Maybe after Flanagan's 3K and before Rupp's 10K?
                        Rupp's race was a race of promise, not a race of great achievement; it does not hold a candle to winning a major GP event in the year's fastest time in the home stadium of the WC favorite and running that favorite down in the finishing stretch.

As far as promise goes, Hasay's 4:16.9 and 4:17.1/Silver are probably as noteworthy as Rupp's mark, especially since Rupp's promise was a little diminished by not even winning that event when it counted at NCAA's (although he did qualify for WC's which makes that race more important than his AmCR race). Even the top-5 finish by Americans, led by Rupp at NCAA XC might be more prominent in my mind than is 10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                          Originally posted by DrJay
                          Rupp's race was a race of promise, not a race of great achievement; it does not hold a candle to winning a major GP event in the year's fastest time in the home stadium of the WC favorite and running that favorite down in the finishing stretch.

As far as promise goes, Hasay's 4:16.9 and 4:17.1/Silver are probably as noteworthy as Rupp's mark, especially since Rupp's promise was a little diminished by not even winning that event when it counted at NCAA's (although he did qualify for WC's which makes that race more important than his AmCR race). Even the top-5 finish by Americans, led by Rupp at NCAA XC might be more prominent in my mind than is 10,000.
                          This list is further proof there is still an anti-mile/1500 prejudice in US track and field. It may even be on the subconscious level and the author may not be aware of it himself. If an American record where set in the 5k it would be the top story. Lagat’s gold medal would be in most countries the top distance story of the year and Webb's 3:46 mile would be a close second. Rupp, Ritz, and even Hall are just not at the international standard of Lagat and Webb. If you don't believe me look at the world rankings. Webb ran the 8th fastest mile time in recorded history. Was Hall's marathon time even in the all-time top 100?
                          The problem with prejudice is that it has no allegiance to logic.

Comment

Notice at the bottom of the original link, where Webb gets honorable mention it says, "technically not a distance event." With that caveat, its non-placement in the top 10 makes sense.

Comment

"Webb ran the 8th fastest mile time in recorded history. Was Hall's marathon time even in the all-time top 100?"

This is misleading; where is he on the combined list of the 1500/mile; his top of each are about equal (mile slightly better) but most of the world has better 1500 marks, including the WR-holder. Of course, gh's observation applies.

Comment

Working...
                              X