Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 15mph
    This list is further proof there is still an anti-mile/1500 prejudice in US track and field.
    Is this a joke? Even despite the relative lack of domestic success, the 1500/mile is accorded more attention than almost any other event in the US.

Comment

Lagat , Webb simply at higher level.

Originally posted by gh
      Notice at the bottom of the original link, where Webb gets honorable mention it says, "technically not a distance event." With that caveat, its non-placement in the top 10 makes sense.
      How is the mile not technically a distance event and the two mile is. Why even exclude one of track and field's most glamorous events (mile) in the first place. I am sure Roger Bannister would have a lot to say by calling the mile not really a legitimate distance event. We have waited a quarter century for Scott’s American mile record to be broken and it is barely mentioned on this list. All I know is Webb's mile in now in the records books and Halls marathon will be forgotten in a few years. Webb was the fastest in the world this year in both the 1500 and the mile. It is even unlikely that Hall will ever have a year like Webb did in 2007. That is unless you think Hall will be a world leader in two distance event s in the near future.

BTW, I was never asking about combining Webb’s mile and 1500 pr. His mile record is completely separate event. If you want to do that then combine Halls marathon and 10k times into the equation.

I will admit Webb's record was set in strange circumstances. Still he ran the mile faster than Coe, Ovett, Scott, and Walker. Among milers who are not African only Steve Cram is faster.

I think everyone will agree that 2007 was a landmark year for US distance running. It is a shame the mainstream sporting press does not care.

Comment

If you want to keep the mile marks in a separate category then they below in the 'by-the-way' category, not in the here-are-the-events category. Trying to say that it is a different event is just cover for the fact that his top-10 mile time might not be a top-10 Mile/1500 time and the mile marks just do not show up on the aggregated list like they used to.

"BTW, I was never asking about combining Webb’s mile and 1500 pr. His mile record is completely separate event."

Comment

Re: Lagat , Webb simply at higher level.

Originally posted by gh
          Notice at the bottom of the original link, where Webb gets honorable mention it says, "technically not a distance event." With that caveat, its non-placement in the top 10 makes sense.
          How is the mile not technically a distance event and the two mile is. ....

errrr, cuz it's twice as long? As in, the 400 is a sprint, the twice-as-long 800 is not.

Traditionally, the 8/15 (mile) have been "middle distances" and above that is the "distances."

Comment

I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the disciminated-against milers in US T&F.

Comment

Originally posted by KevinM
              I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the disciminated-against milers in US T&F.
              I never said that.

Comment

I never said that.
                This list is further proof there is still an anti-mile/1500 prejudice in US track and field.
                And yes, I realize you said that the event rather than the athletes suffer from discrimination. Even so -- does any event other than (maybe) the 100m get as much attention in the US?

I don't dispute that it's a faulty list -- either you consider the mile, or you don't, but I think that's just poor methodology rather than any prejudice against the mile.

Comment

I never said that.
                  And yes, I realize you said that the event rather than the athletes suffer from discrimination. Even so -- does any event other than (maybe) the 100m get as much attention in the US?

I don't dispute that it's a faulty list -- either you consider the mile, or you don't, but I think that's just poor methodology rather than any prejudice against the mile.
                  Prejudice is the right usage, but it is a little extreme. Maybe I should have used the word bias instead.
                  A bias is a prejudice in a general or specific sense.

Most will agree that list was a little strange. I find it amazing there are still people in track and field that have an axe to grind with Webb. Even the fanboys on letsrun are still on his case.

Comment

Axe to grind with Webb? No, this was a Top-10 distance-ranking. Read the fine print on the article:

* Although technically not a distance event, Alan Webb's U.S. mile record deserves recognition. On Saturday, July 21 in Brasschaat, Belgium at the low-key Flanders Cup, Webb, who has a 27:34.72 debut 10,000m to his credit, broke Steve Scott's 25-year-old U.S. mile record (3:47.69) with his stunning 3:46.91 (#8 all-time individual).

Comment

Working...
                    X