Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No indoor in ABQ?

I noticed UNM is not hosting any indoor meets (I was planning on them hosting their conference indoors this year). After all the rave reviews of their new mondo track.

Anyone know what is going on?

The American Bowling Congress is taking over the ABQ Convention Center for the first few months of '08, making space for the track unavailable this year.

Comment

That may be the poorest administrative decision in the history of New Mexico.

To be outdone by bowling is as about as low as it gets.

Comment

Read it and weep.... decision doesn't look so bad now, does it?
        (from http://www.bowl.com/articleView.aspx?i=13832&f=1)

Albuquerque welcomes 2008 USBC Open Championships

12/20/2007

By Matt Cannizzaro
        USBC Communications

USBC Open Championships Tournament Director Brian Lewis speaks during Thursday's press conference at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

Between Feb. 16 and July 7, 2008, more than 60,000 bowlers will compete at the USBC Open Championships with their sights set on one of the eagle trophies given to tournament champions.

USBC Open Championships homepage

Local coverage on KRQE Channel 13 in Albuquerque

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - Albuquerque Convention and Visitors Bureau President/CEO Dale Lockett and Albuquerque Convention Center General Manager Tom Morton officially welcomed USBC and the 2008 USBC Open Championships at a kickoff press conference Thursday at the Albuquerque Convention Center.

The event gave the local media, tournament sponsors and supporters, local bowling association members and other dignitaries the chance to get a final look at the empty convention floor before construction crews turn the space into a state-of-the-art 60-lane bowling stadium.

Since Sunday, nearly 30 truckloads of materials and supplies have been delivered to the Albuquerque Convention Center. Office and vendor walls already are going up, and parts the foundation for the lanes and pinsetters has been place on the convention center floor. Construction is expected to be completed during the first week in February.

In just 58 days, the first of more than 60,000 bowlers will make the traditional march down Center Aisle at the 2008 Open Championships. So far, 12,293 teams are registered to compete during the tournament's 143-day run from Feb. 16 until July 7. The last day for team competition will be July 6.

The largest tournament held outside of Reno, Nev., was in Baton Rouge, La., in 2005 and featured 13,222 teams, which was followed by Corpus Christi, Texas, in 2006 (12,606).

Comment

Blame the whole thing on UNM's athletic dept! They told coach Henry and staff that they were getting a facility for the new indoor track and they didnt deliver. Instead, they built a new indoor facility for football. Go figure!

Comment

Between Feb. 16 and July 7, 2008, more than 60,000 bowlers will compete at the USBC Open Championships with their sights set on one of the eagle trophies given to tournament champions.

The city of Albuquerque will probably reap "one million" times the income from this event than all of the indoor track meets that would be held in a whole year.
            Tough decision!

Comment

I definitely dont blame the convention center management! I just feel that UNM should have kept their word and built a new facility for the T&F program!

Comment

I don't know anything about a promise to build an indoor facility (which was reniged on), but the track was bought and paid for by the city of Albuquerque, is stored by them in the off season, and UNM pays "rent" to the city for the use of both the Convention Center and the track.

Comment

I understand the city's point of view. But, for track--it sucks

Comment

Working...
                  X