Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who is Alberto Juantorena?

This year's annual reports that Alberto Juantorena is 23rd on the yearly list in the decathlon with a score of 8042. What's the story?

El Caballo's son.

Comment

I figured that it was probably El Caballo's son and not just someone with the same surname, with a given name being so because they wanted to name him after El Caballo, but do you have any details to share as to age, size, specialties, etc.?

Comment

http://www.iaaf.org/athletes/athlete=20 ... PopUp.html

according to this, he's "only" 6 ft tall.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_q ... _n12758367

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          El Caballo's son.
          El Pony

Comment

Originally posted by trig
            Originally posted by gh
            El Caballo's son.
            El Pony

El Mule, if he were an ultramarathoner (stubborn, keeping at it, etc.).

Or maybe El Jackass if his ACT's leave something to be desired. Or he makes a movie about foolish and dangerous stunts. :]

Actually, I get a real kick out of seeing old-time studs' children doing well in the sport. Chapa, Flanagan, Centrowitz, et al.

Now if those Ovett kids ever learn to follow in Daddy's footsteps...!

Comment

Jeremy Wariner should switch to the decathlon.

Comment

well, i found a pic of El Potro.

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/31082007/ ... etres.html

i didn't realize his father was so much taller (6'6). that's a giant 400 m runner.

Comment

Originally posted by cacique
                  well, i found a pic of El Potro.

http://it.eurosport.yahoo.com/31082007/ ... etres.html

i didn't realize his father was so much taller (6'6). that's a giant 400 m runner.
                  Also tall for an 800 meter runner. Of course, Gray was 6'4" so height can be beneficial.

Juanterena was quite the remarkable athlete. As discussed in another thread, his dominance in the 400 and 800 at the same time, even winning golds in the same olympics, was truely remarkable. It was also quite a competitive era in the sport.

His willingness to go after the longer distance when he was clearly the best in the shorter really speaks to the legandary status of El Caballo.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyril
                    His willingness to go after the longer distance when he was clearly the best in the shorter really speaks to the legandary status of El Caballo.
                    The way I heard it, willingness had nothing to do with his running of the 800m at the olympics.

Comment

Originally posted by Pentathlete
                      Originally posted by Cyril
                      The way I heard it, willingness had nothing to do with his running of the 800m at the olympics.
                      How did you hear it? His hand was forced by Castro? If that is the case, so be it. If so, it was good that he was forced to do it. He had the ability and now he is MUCH more than another a 400 meter WR holder and gold medalist.

Comment

He was (and is) not at all that tall. T&FN listed him at the time as 6'2".

Comment

I for one do not recall Juantor anywhere near 6'6"...
                          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                            He was (and is) not at all that tall. T&FN listed him at the time as 6'2".
                            Looking at some youtube coverage, he does not appear 6'6" - 6'2" seems about right.

Comment

gotta give fred some credit - he made that race

dunno if he if he'd gone out easier if he couda beaten him, but he did set

44.40 USA low-altitude record

iirc, not beaten 'til alonzo 44.27 og win in '84

fred - legend

Comment

Working...
                              X