Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

xiamen marathon chinese trials??

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gh
    replied
    If the hosts petitioned for a waiver, what do you think the outcome would be? I'm guessing it would be a no-brainer acceptance.

    but since she, I believe, has 5 and 10 Q's, perhaps they'll be happy just to leave her on the track)

    Leave a comment:


  • Jon
    replied
    Originally posted by doug091463
    Originally posted by Jon
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i think paula's odds just dropped thru the floor...
    Zhang is a junior and so, according to IAAF/IOC rules, cannot compete in the marathon in Beijing. It's senior athletes only.
    on the beijing marathon entry form last october it said all runners must be at least 18 years of age and at least a couple of the top women (all juniors) were not 18, but were allowed to compete.
    When I said 'marathon in Beijing', I was talking about the Olympic marathon.

    Contrary to the Xiamen marathon report, IAAF rules state that juniors cannot compete in the Olympic marathon.

    Leave a comment:


  • eldrick
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by eldrick
    if you have a talent base which produces 2"22 juniors, it's suffice to say you're likely to have 3 seniors come race time of ~ 2"20 or better & more pertintently, they will be far more used to the conditions then paula & also they can work as a team against her
    If this was the Olympic qualifying race, they won't suddenly come up with new, different athletes, and they already had to peak (at least to some extent) to make the team.
    only 1 place was up for grabs :

    http://www.iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=2/n ... ing+xiamen

    The Chinese federation had promised the third Olympic berth to the Xiamen marathon winner if the time was under 2:24, therefore Zhang will be the third competitor in Beijing should she choose to run the Marathon because she has qualified for both 5000m and 10,000m as well.

    Two Chinese runners, World Championships silver medallist Zhou Chunxiu and Zhu Xiaolin, who finished fourth in Osaka, had been selected for the Olympic team earlier
    zhou & zhu can prepare at their leisure for bejiing

    Leave a comment:


  • doug091463
    replied
    Originally posted by Jon
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i think paula's odds just dropped thru the floor...
    Zhang is a junior and so, according to IAAF/IOC rules, cannot compete in the marathon in Beijing. It's senior athletes only.
    on the beijing marathon entry form last october it said all runners must be at least 18 years of age and at least a couple of the top women (all juniors) were not 18, but were allowed to compete. also like the botson marathon and i believe the fukuoka marathon have minimal standards for marathon qualification, but a proven runner can debut at these races.. and this new world junior record holder might be exemy from the rule.

    Leave a comment:


  • Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    if you have a talent base which produces 2"22 juniors, it's suffice to say you're likely to have 3 seniors come race time of ~ 2"20 or better & more pertintently, they will be far more used to the conditions then paula & also they can work as a team against her
    If this was the Olympic qualifying race, they won't suddenly come up with new, different athletes, and they already had to peak (at least to some extent) to make the team.

    Leave a comment:


  • doug091463
    replied
    the winner also ran a 227 marathon in october then less than 2 weeks later she ran a 5k heat, a 5k final in a pb 1506, then a 3117 pb for 10k, which to me suggest she probably wasnt even tapered shades of 1993-1997.

    Leave a comment:


  • eldrick
    replied
    Originally posted by Powell
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i think paula's odds just dropped thru the floor...
    You reckon she can't run faster than 2:22? :shock:
    if you have a talent base which produces 2"22 juniors, it's suffice to say you're likely to have 3 seniors come race time of ~ 2"20 or better & more pertintently, they will be far more used to the conditions then paula & also they can work as a team against her

    Leave a comment:


  • Powell
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i think paula's odds just dropped thru the floor...
    You reckon she can't run faster than 2:22? :shock:

    Leave a comment:


  • Jon
    replied
    Originally posted by eldrick
    i think paula's odds just dropped thru the floor...
    Zhang is a junior and so, according to IAAF/IOC rules, cannot compete in the marathon in Beijing. It's senior athletes only.

    Leave a comment:


  • eldrick
    replied
    i think paula's odds just dropped thru the floor...

    Leave a comment:


  • Flumpy
    replied
    Here we go :roll:

    Anyone else expecting 'chinese takeaway' come Beijing

    Leave a comment:


  • joeltetreault
    replied
    Originally posted by doug091463
    the womens winner was born on january 4th 1990 so it is a world junior record.
    Thanks for the reports last night Doug. The IAAF just posted its summary of the race, Sun 2:38:

    http://iaaf.org/OLY08/news/kind=2/newsi ... ing+xiamen


    19-year-old Bai Xue (b. 13-Dec-1988, not a junior) finished second with a big personal best of 2:23:27, bettering her old PB of 2:27:46 from 2007 in her fifth career marathon. Wei Yanan was third in 2:25:10 while Sun Yingjie faded to 2:38:21 in her comeback race. Surprisingly she was said she was happy with her result and told the media that she is on course to be in shape to qualify for the Olympic 5000/10,000m later this season.

    Leave a comment:


  • doug091463
    replied
    the womens winner was born on january 4th 1990 so it is a world junior record.

    Leave a comment:


  • doug091463
    replied
    just got the times in the womens race
    1. zhang yingying in 22238
    2.bai xue 22327
    3. wei yanan 22510
    in the mens race
    1. kenel kiprotich 20949
    2. elias kemboi 20951
    3. dang hal yang 21043

    Leave a comment:


  • doug091463
    replied
    in the mens race kenel kiprotich won followed by his kenyan tammate elias kemboi in 3rd was dang halyang, no times were given and no womens results yet.

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X