Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bergqvist retires

“Not in any way was this a sudden decision,” said the current World Indoor record holder, “but rather the logical outcome of a process going on for about a year. Through 2007 I could not find the same enthusiasm for training and competing as I have always had before.”

After my last meet of the summer – Weltklasse in Zurich – I therefore decided to take a major break for a month or two with the hope that the passion would be rekindled.

“But it never was, not even the thought about the upcoming Olympics in Beijing helped, and without that indispensible passion it is impossible for me to be competitive on the world scene.”
    http://www.iaaf.org/news/kind=2/newsid=42835.html

Crikey - I am shocked. Good luck to her.

Comment

She will be missed. I always enjoyed watching her compete. Her return after her injury was very inspiring to witness. I wish her lots of happiness.

Comment

ridiculous decision

if vlasic has an off-day, the gold is up for grabs & kajsa wouda been in pole position to take it

Comment

This wasn't hard to predict. She also reportedly was about to can her coach in an effort to help her consistently compete on a high level. That would have been a lot to change this late in the game. Oh well, she was one of the greatest.
          If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
            if vlasic has an off-day, the gold is up for grabs & kajsa wouda been in pole position to take it
            And if Vlasic doesn't have an off-day, what's wrong with the silver?

On the other hand, she cleared 2 meters only three times in 18 meets last year and won only four times. (Compare her World Championship year, 2005, when she cleared 2 meters 7 times in 13 meets and was undefeated.) I imagine she feels she's not progressing and it's time to move on. Too bad--she was a fine athlete who was always enjoyable to watch.

Comment

she also married New Year's Eve and will move back to Sweden (from Monaco) in the near future.

Comment

I always wanted to see her try the LJ seriously before her retirement. Great explosive power in her legs, but without the gangliness and awkwardness of the taller girls like Vlasic. I'm sure she could have done high 6's
                "If Gaby worked as hard with the weights as she did with her tongue she'd have a different concept of beauty. To get performances like mine, she'd have to sacrifice some of her good looks. The women of the west dont work as hard as we do" JK

Comment

Originally posted by Andrea_T
                  I always wanted to see her try the LJ seriously before her retirement. Great explosive power in her legs, but without the gangliness and awkwardness of the taller girls like Vlasic. I'm sure she could have done high 6's
                  She was already doing high 6's! (oh sorry, wrong event, wrong measuring system) :-)

Comment

Career in fotos:
                    http://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/f ... lleryFlash

Comment

Kajsa:s career in numbers:
                      http://www.friidrott.se/ovrigt/statanal ... akarr.aspx

Comment

Champions thrive on passion, when it's gone, that's it. Going through the motions isn't an option to some ...

What a great career and what fantastic resolve she showed in returning from such a bad injury. She's a superb example of dedication, talent, hard work and determination. Thanks Kajsa!

Comment

As a fan I want my fav athletes to be happy. If Kajsa has lost the passion then she is doing the right thing.

It was a joy to watch her compete and I wish her all the best in her new life.

I wonder if we will get the same announcement from Carolina in a year or two? :?:

Comment

:shock: This will no doubt be one of the most shocking stories of the year. Just thinking about not watching her at the Olympics has lessened my enthusiasm for the up coming year.

Best Wishes and thanks for memories, Kajsa. You are one of the bests.

Comment

I'm really shocked :shock: :cry: I thought she would go on for a few more seasons at least. I am a huge fan (she's also my screensaver and wallpaper!) and I'm just glad I got to watch her in Sheffield, last July. It's a shame she didn't compete at the EICh. Despite a mediocre season, she could have easily won silver, because a lot of the big names crashed out. Thanks for the memories, Kajsa!

Hasn't Stefan Holm announced he's going to retire soon?
                              http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

Working...
                              X