Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by EPelle
    Kajsa guesstimated to have earned over 90M SEK (+13M USD) over her career in prize money and sponsorship earnings. Her (former) manager, Daniel Wessfeldt, offers that 25% of her earnings were from prize money, the rest from sponsors.
    http://www.e24.se/efterborsen/richfamou ... 179289.e24
    The journalist writing this article (in a website section called "Rich and famous") has obviously no knowledge whatsoever about what kind of money you could earn as a world class (but not superstar) athlete.
    His estimate was 2 million SEK per year then multiplied that by ten to get the total career prize money and then multiplied those 20 million SEK by four to get the astronomical total (where he also out of the blue added another 10 million SEK for some unexplained reason).
    It is an absolutely ridiculous method (make a complete guess and multiply that guess by 50!!!) producing a ridiculous result.
    Probably she never had a 2 million SEK prize money year and it was only for six years (2001-2007 missing one year with the achilles injury) she was "a star" internationally.
    So you should forget those 90 million SEK (13 million USD). It is just a nonsense number made up by a journalist wanting a spectacular twist to his story.

Comment

EPelle did say the number was referred to as a guesstimate.

Comment

well, i hope he's not also that site's financial journalist !

Comment

Bergqvist jumped in 170 competitions (including qualifying rounds) after her final NCAA champs. She cleared 2,00m on 52 occasions in 25 competitions.

Comment

Originally posted by marknhj
            Passion to compete is an intangible that is impossible to for anyone but the athlete in question to comprehend, imo.
            Agree absolutely. She gave herself some time off to see if the passion returned. She waited as long as she could to make a decision. The passion didn't return so she made the decision.

I don't think the timing is odd in the least.

But I'd also guess that it's not the passion to compete (if you're talking strictly about jumping in meets) as much as the passion to train that's the hardest to maintain.

Comment

Part of this decision was precipitated by differences in training/competition philosophies between Tregaro and her mid- to late season 2007.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                Part of this decision was precipitated by differences in training/competition philosophies between Tregaro and her mid- to late season 2007.
                No doubt. But that just adds to what she IS saying. She lost her enthusiasm and maybe felt the whole thing slipping away a bit. She was not going to hang around at a 1.95 - 2m level.

I think she is very happy with her decision. She has a whole new life at age 31, Injury free, getting married and moving back to Stockholm. But I will miss her, that's for sure.

Comment

Working...
                X