Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nick Vena - Frosh SPer Over 66' Now!

Write that name down. He's the 14-year-old freshman who just broke Kevin Bookout's freshman indoor record and has also eclipsed Arnold Campbell's 14-years-old record. Next up: Kevin Bookout's national freshman outdoor record of 63'.

Nick just threw 61-1.5 and he's 6'3, 265 at age 14!!!!

What a PROSPECT!

article linked on home-page

pictures here:
    http://www.nj.com/hssports/ledger/photo ... ?g_id=9298

He's going for Carter's HS record too.

I thought he'd look bigger.

Comment

Best of all, he's not into football!

Comment

....and with Tony Naclerio as his coach, how could the kid go wrong??

Comment

Oh yeah, looks like most freshman I see at my daughter's high school--NOT!
          "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Re: Nick Vena - Shot Putter

Originally posted by tafnut
            Write that name down. He's the 14-year-old freshman who just broke Kevin Bookout's freshman indoor record and has also eclipsed Arnold Campbell's 14-years-old record. Next up: Kevin Bookout's national freshman outdoor record of 63'.

What a PROSPECT! 8
            81-00 feet . . . . please don't bring that up. A few years back TJ Duckett's (Lions RB) father was talking about beating Carter after TJ threw 63-06 as a sophomore. He finished with 67-00 as a senior (1999).

Sure, he could be great. But I'd like to see him grow a couple more inches. He may be a man-child with little, if any, natural maturation left. If he's done growing those feet are going to be tough to come by.

Plus, if he has a great coach (Tony Naclerio) and therefor great technique, it will be difficult to make a 20 foot increase through improved technique.

Comment

Re: Nick Vena - Shot Putter

Originally posted by bushop
              Originally posted by tafnut

What a PROSPECT! 8
              81-00 feet . . . . please don't bring that up. ....

Sure, he could be great. But I'd like to see him grow a couple more inches. He may be a man-child with little, if any, natural maturation left. If he's done growing those feet are going to be tough to come by.

Plus, if he has a great coach (Tony Naclerio) and therefor great technique, it will be difficult to make a 20 foot increase through improved technique.

Lets hope that they are more far sighted than to think the goal should be 81 feet .... rather for the kids sake the long term goal should be 72 feet with the 16lber.... HS accolades will come in spades and will only hinder the boy... take the slow and steady approach and the fellow will be a real contributer at the elite level. From the pics, assuming that he really is 14 years old: I have never seen that kind of braun at that age in my life.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

He has now thrown 61-10¼ but meet officials declared his shot illegal because it came in a gram light. That's right, 0.035 ounces.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                  He has now thrown 61-10¼ but meet officials declared his shot illegal because it came in a gram light. That's right, 0.035 ounces.
                  is that 12 pounds? His 5446.1 shot should have weighed at least 5447.1 grams, or about 2 hundredths of a percent off.

Comment

The interesting thing is that he apparently goes to a public high school a few miles outside his district. Lately, the NJ public schools have been screaming (unfairly in my view) about parochial school "all-star teams" taking athletes away from them. But I haven't heard a peep from any of them about Nick's situation.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                      Originally posted by gh
                      is that 12 pounds? His 5446.1 shot should have weighed at least 5447.1 grams, or about 2 hundredths of a percent off.
                      So that accounts for at least part of that 1/4 inch at the end of the 61-10.
                      I'm going to take a wild guess and say that their scales are not accurate to that degree.

Comment

Originally posted by 26mi235
                        Originally posted by gh
                        Yes, but you have to draw a line somewhere. If someone set a record in the 100m dash, and on remeasurement they found that the race was 2cm short (which is 2 hundredths of a percent), that record couldn't be ratified either.

Comment

His upper body actually looks surprisingly small to me. I think these young records are fairly ridiculous. Kids mature at such different rates, you reward a 12 year old with a record for being as mature at a 16 year old. Its fun and all, but if you look at the majority of record from kids this age, you say, who?

Comment

Hopefully he was using a different implement when he reached 63-2¾ tonite.

Comment

I thought this would be moot, but not that fast. I wonder how far he'll throw this year?? Especially if he keeps using these light shots.

Comment

Working...
                              X