Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Marion Jones

A short indoor season sounds like a very savy Idea for Marion right now. No matter how good of shape she's in, there always seems to be rust to shake off after maternity leave, and this way she can loose a few races (if need be) without hurting her outdoor rankings. The 60 is also a good way for her to improve her starts (a problem in the last couple of seasons). I don't know about the long jump, but if she's really going to contest it this year she'll need to start getting her form down now. We'll see soon enough if Dan Phafft is the Answer in that event. Most of all if will just be good to have her back and competing and maybe clear the stink of the Balco mess out of the air just a bit.

Comment

I don't know why Marion insists on doing the LJ. She would jeopardize her sprint success with an injury in the event.

Comment

The LJ could give Marion longevity at the world stage. Like Carl, Heike.....

Comment

And she was still one of the top 3 in the world. Why give up something when you could be the best in the world.

Comment

"I don't know why Marion insists on doing the LJ."

Neither do I. I'd love to see her tackle the one lap and go head to head with Guevara. In Sydney, Jones' solo leg in the long relay was mere hundredths slower than Cathy Freeman's anchor. With training geared specifically to running 400 meters Marion would make that event the most anticipated race in Athens. Forget the 200, win an unheard of 100/400 double and .....the TJ too? kidding

Comment

Michael, I like your point in the 400. I don't think she should run the rounds. However for a single race she and Guevara would be fun to watch. Plus, with training I think she goes way faster than Cathy Freeman on the anchor leg of a 4x400.

Comment

Marion is so gifted it's hard to pick where you'd would like to see her apply her talents. A 200/400 double in Athens would put her in the company of Betty Cuthbert (not bad) and she could add one or both relays. On the other hand, the long jump (if she can master form) may be her best shot at a world record. Must be nice to have this kind of predicament

Comment

I think that competing in the long jump never really slowed her down, with the
                  exception of her senior year in high school.
                  Maybe she needs the long jumping to get the sprints out of her head sometimes, just to do
                  something different. I mean, look at her times
                  of the 2001 and 2002 season, when she did not
                  jump. She got slower!
                  Maybe she needs to do that all together to be
                  happy or something like that.
                  And someone else already posted it, she was in the top 3 in the long jump.....why should she stop doing it? She is a Olympic Bronze and World Bronze medalist....quite impressive for someone with no technique I think.

Go for it girl.

Comment

"A 200/400 double in Athens would put her in the company of Betty Cuthbert"

As would a 100/400 double, in a more impressive way. I recall during the 1976 Olympics, some speculation about whether Irena Szewinska would go for a 100/400 double. She would have been very competitive over 100 even with her training geared to the 400, where she smashed the WR with a 49.28. Certainly Marion could gear her training to either event and still be competitive in the other - but she could go for the 400 and still be very competitive over 100. THAT double has never been won in any OG or WC by anyone.

Comment

Actually she could go for a 400/LJ double, and if she pulls that off, join Owens, Lewis, and Cuthbert, plus top them all. Wouldn't that be easier than 3 individual events?

Comment

No, she should go for the HT/20k walk double. That would be more impressive.

Comment

"No, she should go for the HT/20k walk double. That would be more impressive."

OK, I'm going to make a video game where you can make athletes do TRULY extraordinary feats - like a 20k walk twirling a hammer all the way, while an opponent walks backwards on his lips.

Comment

Marion won't break the LJ world record, she's ok, but she has no jumping ability, forget form.

Comment

yeah, but with that form, she already jumped 7,3xm. So the lady got the potential to break the world record.

Comment

"Marion won't break the LJ world record, she's ok, but she has no jumping ability, forget form."

Didn't she have an extremely long foul in Eugene in 1998 which was out around the WR mark?

Comment

Working...
                                X