Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Johnson comeback??

Rumors on the Sub10 msg board have MJ making a return to the oval. Any word on the veracity of this?

Re: Michael Johnson comeback??

If he does I hope it is as a 800m runner. Then finally we can resolve the questions about his 800m abilities that have bounced around on several threads this year.

Comment

This will follow the Edwin Moses path. An epiphany one day that he can't possibly rekindle the fire. That remains the baliwick of the other MJ.

Comment

If he makes a comeback, he'll have a terrible time deciding which event to run. I suspect that he could potentially make our '04 team in every distance from the 400 to the marathon. %)

Comment

MAYBE the 400, only because 44.30 will make the team - nothing else. Once he realizes the sheer number of hours he would have to put in just to get sub-45 again, he'll back off.

Comment

I believe Michael was already past his best at 200 when he retired and would have been vulnerable if he had contested that distance at either Sydney or Edmonton. His best bet for sure would be to return to the 400 wars which I think he could still handle fairly comfortably at even 85% of his former best.

Comment

>Rumors on the Sub10 msg board have MJ making a return to the oval. Any word on
              >the veracity of this?

When was it there? Can't see it unless it dropped off the bottom.

Comment

The next hamstring pull will end the comeback.....

Comment

If this is true he will be back as a King! People like Michael don't do something if they are not sure on the end result.

Comment

Does anyone have a link or adress for that board?

Comment

So, in addition to all his other superpowers, he can now see the future?

The path is not as clear as it once was, grasshopper. Do not total your ova until they have broken from their shells.

Comment

http://on.starblvd.net/cgi-bin/bbs?sub10

Comment

I very much doubt it. Unless he needs the money (I'm sure Nike would put up some pretty good $$$ to get him back on the track in the swoosh) there is no reason for it. He knows he won't be able to match his previous form in the 2 or 4 and he won't go into it unless he feels he can be the best in the world. How can he improve on "the best ever"?

What about the 8? I'd love to see it but his chances of the kind of success he's used to here are very remote - and there would be alot of suffering while learning and adapting - and gien his age, not alot of time. I don't think that even the great one has the balls it would take to give the 8 at try at this stage.

Comment

Yeah I plan on returning for 2004: I plan on winning an unprecedented 10 Olympic Gold medals. Check it out:

100m- I can go 9.90 or better. Whatever's needed.

200m- I can cruise a 19.80 without even removing my warm-up sweats.

400m- 44.00 will be a walk in the park..

800m- I'll go out in 47.00 and come home in about 52.00. That's easy WR. Did it hand-timed the other day after eating 2 Big Macs..

4 x 100m- Gatlin and Patton will do all the work and I'll anchor.

4 x 400m- the easiest of my 10 medals. I 'll let the other guys run hard and I'll give a mediocre 45ish split.

Now get this:

110m H- If I just run as fast as I can, and just purposely knock them down, I could probably run about 12.85, easily defeating the "other" Johnson guy..

400m H- these hurdles are low, so this won't be tough at all. That Sanchez fella won't be ready for me.

Long Jump- Looks easy. How hard could it be? I 'll probably only take one jump in Athens to get ready for my hurdles, though.

Also, U.S.A Basketball asked me to run point for the Games, so here's another easy medal.

Yeah. I'm such a bad ass. And in between collecting my medals, I'll be in the press box bashing all the other U.S. athletes and drinking frappuccinos.

Comment

simmer down, young'n

Comment

Working...
                              X