Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

why are they attempting to pay ben johnson anything?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why are they attempting to pay ben johnson anything?

IM SOORY BUT BEN JOHNSON IS GETTING GLOBAL PRES FOR A MATCH RACE,THAT WONT COME OFF IF IT DOES FOR 2 MILLION.I UNDERSTAND HES CHANGED BUT ALOT OF AMERICANS TRAINING FOR US TRIALS ARE LOOKING FOR SPONSORS,,CASH,,TO TRAIN+A LIITLE PRESS ON THERE PURSUITS,WHY SHOULD ANYONE GIVE THIS GUY THE TIME OF DAY.THE SEUOL OLYMPICS ARE OVER.

AM I THE ONE WHO THINKS ANY PRES GIVEN IS BORDER FRAUD,,2 MILLION WOULD BE THE BIGGEST HEIST-RIGHT UP THERE WITH THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY!!!!!

CT

Re: why are they attempting to pay ben johnson anything?

You might want to think about turning your caps lock off. Capitalism has won the day. Whether one likes it or not(and I doubt it will come off), if there is a willing buyer and a willing seller, "they" can do whatever "they" want. And thank whatever higher power you pray to for that.

Comment

More power to him and his agents if they can pull this off (doubt it)! We are quick to say that we'll fight to keep America [ and/or Canada :-) ] free, and capitalism is our way of life. If today's 'reality' (not!) shows can lead the ratings, then this kind of hucksterism is alive and well. Go, Ben, go. Just because I won't pay, doesn't mean others won't. If it's on TV for free (well, cable ain't so free) I WILL watch.

Comment

If it's on TV for free (well,
        >cable ain't so free) I WILL watch.

So will I. You wanna bet CT does too?

Comment

What I can't believe is how he thinks he was so wronged and cheated in his career. He tested positive three times. The rule is you're banned. If anyone else does the same thing, the result will be the same. If you get caught, then you suffer the consequences, that's the chance you have to take when you cheat.

Comment

I thought penalties didn't kick in until your ninth offense.

Comment

This race is the same thing as when George Formean was supposed to fight Larry Holmes, but the financing fell through. Except in boxing watching older fighters who can't pull the trigger is still semi- entertaining. In track watching 8 fat middle aged men trying to break 12 seconds is just absurd.

Comment

why is it that you guys are so hard on track and field athletes? A sport that you profess to be such great fans off, have you read how many times baseball players can test positive before a year suspension or a fine of $100,000. 5 TIMES are base ball players subjected to some other moral or ethical rule. Do you turn a blind eye to baseball because it is a professional sport. Do you care how the home-runs are achieved. If you are against cheating then it should be against all cheaters not just the ones in Track & Field.
                And it is not only Ben Johnson who will benefit whom ever wins will get one million dollars. I think not many of the men in the 88 final can afford to pass up a million bucks especiall in a sport like track where you have to be the absolute best in the world to make any money. In the 80"s BJ and CL made the most in the range of &35,000 per race in Europe and the 3rd guy did not even make $10,000. And it is the same situation today, you only make money if you are the best. If you arn't then you have to struggle to continue training. Probably the richest of that 88 bunch is Carl Lewis and Linford I doubt the rest have even 1/4 of a million dollars in savings from their racing careers . So put your self in their shoes and see if you would turn down the chance to make a million dollars. Every body can give their opinion but it means nothing unless you walk in the shoes of those athletes.Plus they will not run 12 seconds I think Dennis Mitchel (would win) as he Linford, and Ben Johnson are the fittest of the bunch. I hope it happens as one of these guys will make a well needed million bucks and the second and third prize is also no laughing matter.How many of you fans can even run to 10 metres with any of these guys even though they are over 40. most of you fans are wana be athletes. I am an athlete currently competing and even though some of these guys were caught I an still a fan of all of them, they were the 8 fastest men in the world in 88. Linford was the 92 Olympic Champion. who cares that they are older It would be intertesting to see how fast they can run plus its entertainment no worse that all those reality shows in America.

Comment

currently competing athlete: These are good points. Well stated and, for the most part, I agree. My only "yeh but" is regarding Ben Johnson...I'm not sure, even after all this time (but I admire him if he has worked hard to stay in some semblance of shape), that he ought to be rewarded since he repeatedly violated the rules.

Comment

"You might want to think about turning your caps lock off. Capitalism has won the day"

??? npi right?

Comment

I'd imagine "they" are attempting to pay themselves, not Ben Johnson. Is that an inhaler I see you reaching for?

Comment

To Lynn
                        It is not Ben Johnson that people ought to be upset with. The Koreans seem to want this race its their money their country , they can do whatever or reward whomever they want and contary to what other people or athletes think of BJ the Japanese and Asians in general adore him. I am in contact with someone who sees him on a daily basis and he goes to Japan and is payed for his appearances there quite frequently, no other of the 88 athletes are doing this. So it it interesting that he of all the athletes even those now competing and famous the Japanese still prefer to ask him over anyone else. (Most track and field fans do not know this they think evey one hates this guy they have no idea ) . to come and promote whatever it is they need promoting. So what can any of us do? wish he would'nt get those offers ,he certainly will not turn down the offers they make him. would you?

Comment

>What I can't believe is how he thinks he was so wronged and cheated in his
                          >career. He tested positive three times. The rule is you're banned. If anyone
                          >else does the same thing, the result will be the same. If you get caught, then
                          >you suffer the consequences, that's the chance you have to take when you cheat.

That is the Rule in Canada. If your Jarome Young,
                          its no big deal , he still went to the Olympics with a failed "b" sample.

Comment

Just go for it Ben. People in America will watch anything and if you wait long enough they will forgive you. The USA doesn't have any decent middle distance runners, the rest of the throws and crap no one cares about. Dang it , I'll be managing in the Major faster than you can say ,"pass me the THG Marion".

Comment

How old is Ben Johnson now, anyway? And didn't he leave the sport in disgrace 10 years ago? It's a sad statement about our sport that he is still an issue in any way, shape or form.

Comment

Working...
                              X