Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: should the 300 meter event be ratified as an IAAF even

So, we solve the problem (or "problem") of fans expecting (and not seeing) records in every meet by...reducing the potential number of events in order to have every meet be EXACTLY the same? Hmmmm. In truth, of course, American audiences have basically given up hope of seeing world records on US soil--I really don't see that as a problem here...or (the light goes ON), perhaps that IS part of the problem?

Comment

<Marion vs Ana in a wr attempt would rate well....>

>I don't think Ana would have a chance.

Then who else? Mutola, Felix, White?? Would it really be a Marion Jones show? We don't even know how fit she will be when she gets back. But I doubt she will ever be to shabby....

Comment

'They should do the same with the 1000 and 2000 now.'

GH, I've been thinking about this and can't figure why. It certainly isn't because the marks are too weak. In the 1000 most of the best runners, including Snell and Coe held this record. And I still think Wohlhuter's 2:13.9 is one of the great middle distance races ever. As for the 2000, even more so, with record holders: Hagg, Reiff, Jazy, Walker, Aouita, Cram, Morcelli and El G. I will admit any record that Harald Norpoth once held is perhaps worthy to get rid of, but let's not throw the baby out with the bath water!

Comment

No.

Comment

At the risk of repeating myself, there's not the slightest reason to dump these records. In fact, in a metric world, it would be ridiculous to NOT have the kilometer as an officially recognized distance. I still think it and the 2000 (and the 300 and 600) should be run in meets more often.

Comment

keep the 300m and 600m as world bests, keep the 1000m and 2000m as WRs. This is a metric sport, isn't it?

600m's a great indoor event. great for races between 400m runners and 800m runners.

300m's great for 200m and 400m runners. Run it every now and then, when you want a WB to liven up the crowd and add to your star's resume.

you need to keep the 1000m if only for punishment, the 2k for el guerrouj's list of honours.

Comment

The 300m is one of the funnest events there is out there. They should ratify it.

Comment

I think the 300m should be ratified as an IAAF event for the World Indoor Championships. The IAAF has decided to eliminate the 200m event at these championships (effective 2006) after finding that lane draw, rather than ability, determined the medal placements. That leaves a huge gap between 60m and 400m that really should be filled. Since 300m and 400m are so close in distance, I would also suggest moving to a 60m, 300m, 600m, 1000m, 1500m and 3000m format. There are some good reasons why - great match-ups, new records and a chance for athletes to work on their transition to another distance. Are there good reasons why not? And don't say "Tradition".

Comment

I'm for any scheme that gets the 300, 600, and 1000 into the program...

Comment

Working...
                    X