Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Politics Out of the Olympics- Should U.S. Even Send a Team?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Politics Out of the Olympics- Should U.S. Even Send a Team?

The president has stated he's staying out of the Beijing protest maelstrom. Guess Cuba's "different". Anyway, given the tainted toys and food imported here from China, the police treatment of Tibetan monks, government support of the regime in Darfur, jailing of political prisoners, military nuclear escalation, and other human rights shortcomings, revelations of espionage inside the U.S, should the U.S. even send an Olympic team?

BCB

You really want to crack open that egg? What about the next time the US HOSTS an Olympics?

Every government has it's warts.
    https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

Re: Politics Out of the Olympics- Should U.S. Even Send a Te

Originally posted by bijanc
      The president has stated he's staying out of the Beijing protest maelstrom. Guess Cuba's "different". Anyway, given the tainted toys and food imported here from China, the police treatment of Tibetan monks, government support of the regime in Darfur, jailing of political prisoners, military nuclear escalation, and other human rights shortcomings, revelations of espionage inside the U.S, should the U.S. even send an Olympic team?
      I think we've learned by now that boycotting the Olympics accomplishes nothing except extinguishing the dreams a lot of innocent athletes.

Comment

Beijing

I don't favor a boycott, just asking, given how U.S. doesn't trade w/ Cuba. e.g.

Comment

Re: Politics Out of the Olympics- Should U.S. Even Send a Te

Originally posted by tandfman
          Originally posted by bijanc
          I think we've learned by now that boycotting the Olympics accomplishes nothing except extinguishing the dreams a lot of innocent athletes.
          And (part II) what we learned in 1980 was that the US public really doesn't give a hoot about "the dreams of a lot of innocent athletes." As a few here have noted, US Olympians are "disposable heroes": easily cheered, quickly forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by guru
            You really want to crack open that egg? What about the next time the US HOSTS an Olympics?

Every government has it's warts.
            WARtS?
            Take good care of yourself.

Comment

What ever happened to the tradition of a 'truce' for the Olympics? In this case, govts need to stay out of it, but individuals should continue to enjoy their Freedom of Speech rights (such as they do or don't exist for them). I don't expect much out of the Chinese athletes, but I will be disappointed if other individuals don't say something. Consciences exist, just not on the governmental level!!

Comment

I am naive and hopeful enough to think the Olympics are sacred and above politics....or at least they should be.
                phsstt!

Comment

Does anyone else think it's ironic that we boycotted in 1980 because the USSR was in Afghanistan?

Comment

Originally posted by trig
                    Does anyone else think it's ironic that we boycotted in 1980 because the USSR was in Afghanistan?
                    No.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of those Afghans flew planes into the Kremlin.
                    https://twitter.com/walnuthillstrak

Comment

Originally posted by guru
                      No.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe any of those Afghans flew planes into the Kremlin.

guru is correct, a complete non-sec-quitar. :P
                      phsstt!

Comment

What is ironic about that? What I find ironic is that Saddam was useful and then not useful - a butcher is a butcher is a butcher.

George Butch might beg to differ...[and for those who don't get the pun, butch means manly]
                        Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                          I am naive and hopeful enough to think the Olympics are sacred and above politics....or at least they should be.
                          Unfortunately the Olympics are not above politics. They were not above politics in Berlin '36 and they are certainly not above politics in China. The Olympics are a major political tool for the Chinese government.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                            The Olympics are a major political tool for the Chinese government.
                            Not in my eyes unless they show me something real.
                            phsstt!

Comment

Yes, we should send a team, because it will help to expose the Chinese communist government for what it is. They can't hide when the USA is competing in China. Too many media people who will tell it like it is.

I have a feeling this will be a disaster for the Chinese government, but a victory for their people.

Comment

Working...
                              X