Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gatlin's appeal - If he wins, can he qualify?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gatlin's appeal - If he wins, can he qualify?

If he wins and is cleared as eligible to compete in Beijing, does anyone think he can actually reach the qualifying standards by June 15 to compete in the Olympic Trials after so much time off.

Size "A" "B" Field
    100m 10.07 10.28 32
    200m 20.30 20.75 30

no need to meet the standard

Special Qualifying Regulations

Automatic Qualification [USATF Rules 10.3(b)i and 10.3(b)ii]

A Track & Field athlete is eligible for automatic qualification into the Olympic Trials in the same event if that athlete has:

Earned an individual medal in an Olympic Games or in an IAAF World Indoor or Outdoor Championships during the year 2008, or during the four previous calendar years (2004, 2005, 2006, 2007)
    Won an individual 2007 USA Outdoor Track & Field Championship event
    For automatic qualification purposes only, the indoor 60m, 60m hurdles, mile, and 3000m distances are interchangeable with the outdoor 100m, 100m/110m hurdles, 1500m and 5000m, respectively
    http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/Olympi ... ndards.asp

Comment

I'm aware of the provision for former champions but would that still apply since Gatlin served a drug suspension? I wasn't sure if there was some loophole that would have nullified those results.

If that is the case and he is eligible to compete at the trials, does anyone think he makes it through the rounds?

Comment

Originally posted by johnclevohio
        I'm aware of the provision for former champions but would that still apply since Gatlin served a drug suspension? I wasn't sure if there was some loophole that would have nullified those results.

If that is the case and he is eligible to compete at the trials, does anyone think he makes it through the rounds?
        It does seem like the rounds will be the biggest problem for him because he will run up against the likes of Gay and Spearmon. However, it is still thin until you are over 10 seconds and Gatlin has a lot championship experience that should help him (including coming up big when it matters most).

Comment

Who knows. 10.22 was good enough to book a flight to Osaka last year.

Comment

I'm going to go way out on a limb and say that 10.22 won't be good enough to make the team!!
            In cycling they always makes sure that the appeals process takes so long that it is longer than the suspension. It must be different in track and field.

Comment

His appeal is so nonsensicle and he's got such a bare faced cheek even attempting it I'm pretty hopeful that we won't have to worry about him having to get any qualifying time.

Comment

Originally posted by Flumpy
                His appeal is so nonsensicle and he's got such a bare faced cheek even attempting it I'm pretty hopeful that we won't have to worry about him having to get any qualifying time.
                His appeal is of the categorization of his early 3-month ban for his longtime prescription meds (had been taking for 10 years?). In a US court I do not think a prosecutor would think twice about bringing 'charges' -- no competitive benefit, no showing of intent (in fact the ruling was that there was NO intent), and for something that would get them in trouble for denying the individual.

Comment

I know very well what his appeal is about thank you very much and as I said it's nonsense,

When deciding to take drugs for the 2nd time he knew that he already had one count against him and what the punishment would be if he was caught, He's very lucky not to have a lifetime ban (Why didn't he get a lifetime ban by the way?) so certainly shouldn't be complaining now.

If he's wanted to appeal his first ban he should have done so before getting caught again not whining after that it wasn't fair.

I hate all these cheats who have absolutely no shame. If you're going to take drugs and cheat others out of medals at least be embarrassed when you get busted. The Regina/Chryste/Justin/Marion route just baffles me. At least Dwain and Kelli were both somewhat contrite

Comment

Point very well made just above. Yes, perhaps his first "offense" was not quite fair, etc., etc., but the fact remains that he KNEW it was on his record, and that he was then "on the bubble." But despite this he then apparently committed a "real" offense. Hasta la vista, baby.

Comment

He maintains that he is responsible for the T+ but that it was not his doing. You can take it or leave it, but there is nothing like a court finding of fact concerning it. Does it really make a lot of sense for him to be using T at that point in time and then running any early relay race? Pieces do not fit together too well given what I have seen.

Comment

Considering who his coach was it all makes perfect sense.

What's more likely, one of Trevor Graham's athletes is a drug cheat or the disgruntles masseuse did it :roll:

I know which one I believe.

Comment

Let's go back to the original question: If he wins his appeal, can he qualify?

First question: Is he back on the books to be tested out-of-competition? Does he have to be subjected to OOC testing to be eligible at the time of the Trials?

Next, let's look at the 10.07. Just because he's been away from competition doesn't mean he hasn't been training well. Who knows if he can drop a 10.07 before the Trials.

But let's say he hasn't run 10.07 before the Trials. He gets to Eugene and then has four rounds in which to get the mark. He could have a couple races in raw rainy weather with headwinds, and another couple which are wind-aided.

Voila! He wins the Trials but doesn't have the A qualifier to go. In other words, he better find a warm weather place to run 10.07 before he heads off to Eugene. If he wins his appeal.

Comment

Although everybody thinks of Eugene as a distance venue, I think you'll find if you look at the record that it has a history of very good sprint times.

But there's one other thing; Eugene also has a history of a lot of wind-aided sprints. It's not remotely implausible to plot a scenario whereby somebody could go through all four rounds at the OT without getting a legal time, so it wouldn't matter how fast it was.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                              Voila! He wins the Trials but doesn't have the A qualifier to go. In other words, he better find a warm weather place to run 10.07 before he heads off to Eugene. If he wins his appeal.
                              There is period after the trials to chase qualifying standards. Perhaps gh knows the final date.

Comment

Working...
                              X