Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Athens Winners Announced1 (04PP5&6)

>I know this is a US forum, but I wonder if any Americans would ever predict a non-American to win the Olympic 100 or 200 in any Games? >>

Two points:

1. I'm almost certain that in terms of volume of traffic (if not actual number of posters), the number of non-Americans (mainly Canadians and Brits) actually outnumbers Americans.

2. T&FN regularly picks non-Americans (*) to win Olympic medals. Since I've been at the magazine we picked Borzov* to win the 100 in '72, picked Quarrie* to win both in '76. Moscow '80 doesn't count. '84 and '88 we picked Lewis (duh!) to double both times; he did so in '84, another American won in '88 (and we correctly picked Johnson* over Lewis for the '87 WC gold). For '92 we picked two Americans, Christie* upset that applecart in the 100. Our '96 picks were Fredericks* and MJ (who won) and in '00 we had Mo (who won) and Boldon*. I'd say if you combine our foreign picks with Americans who went on to win and any charges of bias are pretty hard to defend.

Comment

>Well said.

I know this is a US forum, but I wonder if any Americans would
      >ever predict a non-American to win the Olympic 100 or 200 in any Games? It
      >would seem not, from my reading of the various threads, but a brief
      >recollection of history will show neither the 100 nor the 200 is a one-country
      >event -ie. the sprints are not 'owned' by the US. They have won 8 out of the
      >13 100m finals they have contested since the war (twice finishing out of the
      >medals altogether). Over 200m they have fared a little better (9/13 wins, once
      >finishing out of the medals).

And for one particular athlete (from any
      >nation) to win both events is incredibly difficult and rare. A 'fast race'
      >here or an 'impressive indoor meet' there does not automatically equate to a
      >double Olympic Sprint Champion - sorry.

Then you must not have read my post ... I am American and I clearly stated that both medals are up for grabs and listed those with the abilitites to garner them ...

Comment

Just to clarify my position on Gatlin. As high as I am on him, I'm well aware of the history of the sprints and wouldn't be more than a nickel at this point that he even makes the team.

But... if there is anybody on the planet with a "reasonable" chance to win a 100/200 double in Athens, I'd say it's him.

Comment

Comment

Comment

>>Incidentally, did you predict no higher than 7th place
              >for the US sprinters in the Sydney 200m final?>>

We predicted 3rd and 7th, but any judgements one way or the other are tough on that one, given that Capel got screwed by the starter.

Comment

Comment

>my comments were rather aimed at the American 'layman' (or laymen) who seems to think that the US and the World are the same entity...<

You mean they're not? :-)

Comment

Working...
                  X