Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Re: Athens Winners Announced1 (04PP5&6)

>my comments were rather aimed at the American 'layman' (or laymen) who seems to think that the US and the World are the same entity...<

You mean they're not? :-)

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied
    Re: Athens Winners Announced1 (04PP5&amp;6)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>>Incidentally, did you predict no higher than 7th place
    >for the US sprinters in the Sydney 200m final?>>

We predicted 3rd and 7th, but any judgements one way or the other are tough on that one, given that Capel got screwed by the starter.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

Just to clarify my position on Gatlin. As high as I am on him, I'm well aware of the history of the sprints and wouldn't be more than a nickel at this point that he even makes the team.

But... if there is anybody on the planet with a "reasonable" chance to win a 100/200 double in Athens, I'd say it's him.

Leave a comment:

• Conway
    replied

>Well said.

I know this is a US forum, but I wonder if any Americans would
    >ever predict a non-American to win the Olympic 100 or 200 in any Games? It
    >would seem not, from my reading of the various threads, but a brief
    >recollection of history will show neither the 100 nor the 200 is a one-country
    >event -ie. the sprints are not 'owned' by the US. They have won 8 out of the
    >13 100m finals they have contested since the war (twice finishing out of the
    >medals altogether). Over 200m they have fared a little better (9/13 wins, once
    >finishing out of the medals).

And for one particular athlete (from any
    >nation) to win both events is incredibly difficult and rare. A 'fast race'
    >here or an 'impressive indoor meet' there does not automatically equate to a
    >double Olympic Sprint Champion - sorry.

Then you must not have read my post ... I am American and I clearly stated that both medals are up for grabs and listed those with the abilitites to garner them ...

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

>I know this is a US forum, but I wonder if any Americans would ever predict a non-American to win the Olympic 100 or 200 in any Games? >>

Two points:

1. I'm almost certain that in terms of volume of traffic (if not actual number of posters), the number of non-Americans (mainly Canadians and Brits) actually outnumbers Americans.

2. T&FN regularly picks non-Americans (*) to win Olympic medals. Since I've been at the magazine we picked Borzov* to win the 100 in '72, picked Quarrie* to win both in '76. Moscow '80 doesn't count. '84 and '88 we picked Lewis (duh!) to double both times; he did so in '84, another American won in '88 (and we correctly picked Johnson* over Lewis for the '87 WC gold). For '92 we picked two Americans, Christie* upset that applecart in the 100. Our '96 picks were Fredericks* and MJ (who won) and in '00 we had Mo (who won) and Boldon*. I'd say if you combine our foreign picks with Americans who went on to win and any charges of bias are pretty hard to defend.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I agree, except:
    MEN
    100/200 I'm a great fan of Gatlin, but only at his very best he can defeat Brown (100) and Kederis / Bolt (200)
    400 Washington
    10000 Don't count out Sihine (winner today in Newcastle) & Gebre: it 'l be much closer than WC
    I think Bekele will run only 5000
    PV Gibilisco
    SP Godina
    HT Murofushi
    DEC Sebrle
    WOMEN
    5000 Dibaba (winner today in Newcastle)
    100H Felicien
    PV Feofanova
    LJ Barber
    DT Voggoli or Kelisidou

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

How about Gatlin making the team first? Post Birmingham Indoor Champs he was suppose to do this and do that. He did not make the team to Paris and those who hype his Brussels 200m win are fooling themselves as he was rested whereas most of his threats were mentally and physically tired post Paris. Gatlin is like any other US top sprinter, just a contender.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

If you had seen him run 19.86 as a 20-year-old, then stomp the field to win gold in the 60 at the World Indoor last March I think you might sing a slightly different tune. This guy is the real deal. As with all sprinters, of course, the key is staying healthy.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Conway
    replied

Gatlin is more than capable of successfully completing a sprint double .. He did it twice outdoors and twice indoors in college winning each time .. He’s also had the experience of running rounds and winning a World Indoor title … having said that, I don’t think he (or anyone else) will win a sprint double at either the Trials or the Olympics … Simply too much competition …

First off to make the team in both events will take a very strong week … Consider the potential competition in the 100:

Mo Greene (if healthy)
    Tim Montgomery (if mind is right)
    Bernard Williams
    John Capel
    Jon Drummond
    Mickey Grimes
    Darvis Patton
    Coby Miller

Beating all of them (or at the least all but two of them) will be a daunting task within itself … Then we head to Athens and add (among others):

Deji Aliu
    Uchenna Emedulo
    Ato Boldon
    Kim Collins
    Asafa Powell
    Obadele Thompson

Winning the 100 will NOT be a walk in the park this time around … There is NO dominant sprinter out there as I write this … Right now there are a bunch of guys between 9.95 and 10.00 .. One or two bad steps in any round can get you eliminated … And we haven’t discussed the DEUCE yet !!!

Waiting at the Trials will be:

Bernard Williams
    John Capel
    Darvis Patton
    JJ Johnson
    Shawn Crawford
    Ramon Clay
    Coby Miller

And a final which could be as close (or closer) than the 100 final … Then at the games we add:

Kenteris
    Shingo Suetsugo
    Frank Fredericks
    Stephane Buckland
    Francis Obikwelu
    Usain Bolt
    And a slew of 20.10/20.20 guys who on a good run could PR significantly

Not saying an Athens sprint double is impossible … Anything is possible given that EVERYTHING works out right … But I think it is highly improbable given how competitive the sprints are world wide … Gone are the days when if you won at the Trials you were guaranteed medals at the Games … We have a number of guys who are accomplished at both sprints … But beating the competition at the Trials and then turning around and doing it again at the Games is a very daunting task …

Leave a comment:

Working...
X