Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Media Bias...or the Brits hate us

I don't know if Henry Romero is a yank or not but he seems to have missed the winner here:

http://www.reuters.com/newsPhotoPresent ... 1000493222

Comment

good point mjd, Macrozonaris the Canadian won the race. This is typical of the way American Reuters agencies covers international events . Unable,un-willing to mention "other" country athletes. Great race for Nic, this is a breathrough for the young sprinter.

Comment

Are we concerned with how fast Montgomery runs/ran, or anyone else for that matter, or are concerned with their public speach training?

Comment

back to typing class. that should be speech.

jd

Comment

i think the british media are like this in general. they trashed blair during the war and the constantly make fun of the royal family. i remember a few years back linford christie was complaining that they would call him "the jamaican native" when he did poorly.

Comment

>good point mjd, Macrozonaris the Canadian won the
              >race. This is typical of the way American Reuters
              >agencies covers international events .
              >Unable,un-willing to mention "other" country
              >athletes. Great race for Nic, this is a
              >breathrough for the young sprinter.

Reuters is a British company. www.reuters.com

Comment

The media love to jump all over anyone who says one thing and then does another. Consequently, it shouldn't be any surprise when they make a story of Montgomery's running almost 3/10 of a second slower than he predicted. Why some sprinters hype themselves so much is beyond me; they just end up losing credibility when they run - even when they run a decent race like Montgomery did.

Comment

I agree that athletes shouldn't hype themselves excessivley, but what you have to remember is that every meet that has an athlete such as Montgomery wants to publicize the fact that has a World Record holder competing.

During pre-meet publicity interviews, I'm sure someone will ask Montgomery before every meet, "Do you think you can break the world record in this meet?"

I'd guess that Tim would say something like, "I feel I'm capable of a world record every time I step on the track. This meet is no different."

This can easily be made to sound as if he's predicting a WR when he isn't necessarily doing so.

Comment

Working...
                  X