Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 26mi235
    replied
    Not only is gh's comment relevant, but the OG's are in rounds (below the 10,000) and it is better to pick someone that can advance through the rounds versus someone who might pull off a one-shot race.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    The U.S. had 10 guys at Olympic A-standard in the 5K last year, and that didn't include Lagat or Goucher! Far better event than you might suspect.

Leave a comment:

• Gleason
    replied
    The Rounds at the OT

Originally posted by gh
    Would this be a better meet for the fans if it were cut down to pair of 3-day weekends, instead of 4? (setting aside a whole work week off, meaning burning vacation or taking two trips; meaning just the actual product that would end up on the field of play/on TV)
    I agree. I add these caveats:

ELIMINATE heats in 1500, Steeple. & 5000. The U.S. has so few runners who make the OG "A" standard that it is a waste of elite athlete's energy to race against "no hope" athletes in heats (and semi for men's 1500).

In 2007 the OG "A" standard was met by six men & women (1500), 4 men & 5 women (Steeple.) and 10 men & 5 women, including Kastor, Goucher & Rhines who will run Marathon or 10K @ OG (5000).

Allow the 15 fastest (5000) & 12 fastest in 1500 & Steeple. to enter with no subs for scratches. Keep the 10K final only, but only use the current U.S. "A" standard because 10 -15 runners is plenty for a final. It will save $ and limit the meet to athletes who have a reasonable chance to make the OG team.

ELIMINATE semis in 800 & 400H. In 2007 the OG "A" standard was met by 6 men & women (800) plus 11 men & 6 women (400H). A few more in 2008 would probably make the standard to allow 3 heats for men & 2 heats for women.

The schedule would be good for TV. Men & women could run the same days.
    1st Weekend:
    Friday: 10,000 final
    Saturday: Steeple final
    Sunday: 1500 final

2nd Weekend:
    Friday: 800 & 400H heats
    Saturday: 5000 final
    Sunday: 800 & 400H finals

Leave a comment:

• jney
    replied
    no, not at all.

Leave a comment:

• ed gee
    replied
    absolutely

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Would this be a better meet for the fans if it were cut down to pair of 3-day weekends, instead of 4? (setting aside a whole work week off, meaning burning vacation or taking two trips; meaning just the actual product that would end up on the field of play/on TV)

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Here's how the finals shake out at the two meets:

Olympic Trials Finals

Friday, June 27—no men; w10,000
    Saturday, June 28—mSP; w100, Hept
    Sunday, June 29—m100, 400H, PV, LJ; w400H, TJ, DT
    Monday, June 30—m800, 5000, Dec; w800, JT
    Tuesday, July 1—rest day
    Wednesday, July 2—rest day
    Thursday, July 3—m400; w400, steeple, LJ
    Friday, July 4—m10,000, HT; w5000, HJ
    Saturday, July 5—mSteeple, 20W, HJ; wSP, HT
    Sunday, July 6—m200, 1500, 110H, TJ, DT, JT;
           w200, 1500, 100H, 20W, PV

Olympic Games Finals

Friday, August 15—mSP; w10,000
    Saturday, August 16—m100, 20W; wSP, Hept
    Sunday, August 17—m10,000, HT; w100, St, Mar, TJ
    Monday, August 18—mSt, 400H, LJ; w800, PV, DT
    Tuesday, August 19—m1500, HJ, DT; w400, 100H
    Wednesday, August 20—m200; w400H, HT
    Thursday, August 21—m400, 110H, TJ; w200, 20W, JT
    Friday, August 22—m4 x 100, 50W, PV, Dec;
             w5000, 4 x 100, LJ
    Saturday, August 23—m800, 5000, 4 x 400, JT;
              w1500, 4 x 400, HJ
    Sunday, August 24—mMar

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    OT is also 8 days of competition, OG is 9 (plus a marathon day), so an exact match would require killing one of the two rest days in the middle.

It would also make selling tickets a bit harder, because as noted, the OG not only has 4 relays, it also has a long walk and a pair of marathons, so that's 7 more events to sell to the public. Stretching out the OT to a 9-day schedule would make for some very thin evenings.

As it is, even with the 8-day, the number of finals is
    break
    break

You gotta be hard core to pay big bucks for a day/evening of track that has the minimal number of finals some of the days already have.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by maggot
    Originally posted by tandfman
    I think I've mentioned this elsewhere--one interesting aspect of the medn's 800/1500 double is that at the Trials, the 800 is first. At the Games, however, the 1500 is first.
    So, why isn't the trials' schedule the same as the games'?
    There are no relays at the trials for one thing.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by tandfman
    I think I've mentioned this elsewhere--one interesting aspect of the medn's 800/1500 double is that at the Trials, the 800 is first. At the Games, however, the 1500 is first.
    So, why isn't the trials' schedule the same as the games'?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    I think I'd go nuts if I were in the mHT or wHJ, each of which have a 4-day span between Q and F. That's a long time to sit around with butterflies.

Leave a comment:

• jazzcyclist
    replied
    Originally posted by guru
    TWO rounds of the women's 400 on day 3, then a 4 day gap to the finals? :?
    I believe the women's 400 runs on days 3, 4 and 7. And both the men's and women's 200's run on days 8, 9 (quarterfinals and semifinals) and 10. I really like the fact that there is no overlapping of any of the sprint events.

http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/Olympi ... hedule.asp

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Told you I didn't guarantee the accuracy! Tis same as men.

Leave a comment:

• tlb747
    replied
    Unless, there are not enough women to run the first round of the 400m, then it would be one race on day three and the finals on day seven. It would be a shame for the Men's 200 meters to run on the rest days.

Leave a comment:

• guru
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X