Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asafa Powell

This Jamaican sprinter is going to one to watch next season. I'm just sorry he didn't get the chance to finish the world championships because i know he would have had a medal

Re: Asafa Powell

I don't know about getting a medal but he would finish in the top 5 though

Comment

Well Asafa showed every one that he would stand a good chance of getting a medal be beaten a strong field in his last meet including Gatlin.

Comment

I am waiting for someone at T&FN to tell me why he was not world ranked. How many 100m did he lose in 2003?

Comment

It's not so much how many he lost, it's the fact that he was basically absent from most major races. Aside from his screwup at the Worlds, he was in three major races and finished 8th and last in two of them. He's almost a ranker, but not quite. Here's his complete seasonal record, with those he lost to.

ASAFA POWELL (Jam) 5-mark Avg. = 10.072
          10.13w 1)Jam Ch 6/20
          10.13 1)Lucerne 6/25
          10.10 1B) " "
          10.93 8)Oslo GP 6/27 1. Lewis-Francis; 2. Chambers; 3. Shirvington; 4. Zakari; 5. Miller; 6. Boldon; 7. Henry
          10.32 2)Padua 7/06 1. Gatlin
          10.10 2B)Rome GP 7/11 1. Gatlin
          10.09 1)Malmö 8/12
          fs qf)World Ch 8/24 1. Boldon; 2. Emedolu; 3. Macrozonaris; 4. Pognon & Thomas.
          (10.05h)
          10.02 1)Brussels GP 9/05
          10.12 1)Rieti GP 9/07
          10.33 1)Rovereto 9/10
          10.23 8)GP Final 9/13 1. Williams; 2. Capel; 3. Emedolu; 4. Chambers; 5. Gatlin; 6. Collins; 7. Aliu

Comment

Thanks a lot EGH, your explanation is insightful

Comment

you are all haters i think this young has done enough to be rank

Comment

Gary failed to mention that in both his 8th place finishes Powell turned up injured. In fact Powell was leading the Grand Prix Final when his hamstring failed him.

The poor chap who was virtually unknown at the beginning of the season probably couldn't secure a lane at the major events Gary mentioned and to add insult to injury the ranking system penalizes him for not competing enough at those events.

The 100m is just one of a number of events in my opinion in which the rankings have not done justice to the real talent in the event this year.

Comment

>Gary failed to mention that in both his 8th place finishes Powell turned up
                  >injured. In fact Powell was leading the Grand Prix Final when his hamstring
                  >failed him.

That's hardly an excuse for not being ranked, one big part in making the ranks is to stay fit. In most cases just as hard as producing good res.

Comment

>Gary failed to mention that in both his 8th place finishes Powell turned up
                    >injured. In fact Powell was leading the Grand Prix Final when his hamstring
                    >failed him.

The poor chap who was virtually unknown at the beginning of the
                    >season probably couldn't secure a lane at the major events Gary mentioned and
                    >to add insult to injury the ranking system penalizes him for not competing
                    >enough at those events.

The 100m is just one of a number of events in my
                    >opinion in which the rankings have not done justice to the real talent in the
                    >event this year.>

When T&FN ranks the top 10 70m sprinters they'll make sure that Powell is no. 1.

Comment

I feel for young Mr. Powell, who looks like a real comer, but you can't take injuries into account. If people knew they got a free pass for being injured, every time they got left in the blocks the operative thing would be just to pull up "injured."

Yes, it is a nasty two-edged sword that Powell got penalized for not being in the big races because he didn't yet have the credentials, but you have to pay your dues in the beginning. And he basically shot himself in the foot with the false start in the preliminaries at the world championships; nobody to blame but himself.

Comment

People need to remember that rankings are not a measure of one's talent, but a summation of how they did over the course of the season ...

While Asafa Powell is obviously one of the top young talents around in the 100 he simply didn't get enough done to be ranked in the top 10 for 2003 ... I'm sure this means little to his peers when they line up ... One does not take one's rankings to the starting line but rather one's talents and abilities ... The 3 top ranked sprinters from 2002 ended up 5,9 & 10 in 2003 ... And #5 is facing steroid suspension ... They don't give medals for rankings ... Its just something for the rest of us to talk about ...

Comment

Well every body talking about my boy Asafa should be rank he's going to show you all something about sprinting this summer

Comment

And when he does, I'm sure TFN will reward him with the appropriate ranking.

Comment

In good shape, he should be a 2004 100m and even
                              200m Olympic medalist.
                              A terrific potential...

Comment

Working...
                              X