Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Should the Women's Hurdles Be Higher?

Definitely - 36", and 33"/400m. You only have to observe to see they're too low. Might cause more hit hurdles and falls, but hey, it's part of the event. Decathlon will eventually replace Heptathlon, but shouldn't(permanently) until someone has broken JJK's record. Which could be a while. The 800 shouldve been changed to 1500 long ago, too (even if most athletes would strongly oppose..)

Comment

I'd be surprised if even a few women could run a 110h race without 4 stepping.

Comment

"Athletics is based on tradition."

Oh really? Let's talk about the javelin, for starters...

Comment

and the recent junior implement changes... and the addition of the women's marathon in 1984, and the switch from 80 to 100m hurdles for women in 1972.

Comment

"I'd be surprised if even a few women could run a 110h race without 4 stepping."

I ran it with 3 steps no problem at 16 and trust me I only WISH I'd had as much speed as Kluft or JJK.

Comment

ps - over 36" barriers

Comment

IMHO:

Women should run the exact same event distances as the men... why should the HH's be the lone exception ? The difference in body size between men and women is not that great that they cannot handle the same distance between hurdles.... they do it in the IH's.

OK to have lower hurdles ( but raise the HH's some) in HH,and IH (plus SC barrier) just as it is ok to have lighter implements.

And the women should "move up" to the Decathlon as well again with their own implements and HH height but otherwise same as the men.

Women do not play basketball on a shorter court or with lower baskets, do they ? ... but they do use a slightly small ball.

Comment

>IMHO:

Women should run the exact same event distances as the men... why
                  >should the HH's be the lone exception ? The difference in body size between
                  >men and women is not that great that they cannot handle the same distance
                  >between hurdles.... they do it in the IH's.

Yes Steve, but men take an average of 21-22 steps to hurdle 1 then 13-15 between the rest (or 12 if your name is Moses). Women take 23-25 and 15-19. I don't think they could handle 110H with the increased distance between hurdles. They should definately raise the height 3" though. Women can get away with rubbish technique which is not the case with men. It's aesthetically displeasing watching some womens races whereas I find the men's HH to be a thing of complete beauty.

Comment

...and I want to make it clear I mean the hurdle technique, not the men!

Comment

Actually, men's 110 hurdles should be placed farther apart. Event is held back by the fact that people of incredibly greater speed are running on incredibly faster surfaces yet the settings are the same as they were when 12-second sprinters were running the race in mud a century ago.

Comment

Yes on the raising the 100H to 36", but the spacing would have to remain the same. For women to negotiate the higher hurdles only the elites could negotiate the men's spacing. A 15.0-16.0 female hurdler would struggle to get three in between, and there's lots more of those than the sub-13 types. I have coached college and HS and the reality is that you would be legislating a lot of 'good' athletes out of the event.

Comment

>Actually, men's 110 hurdles should be placed farther apart. Event is held back
                          >by the fact that people of incredibly greater speed are running on incredibly
                          >faster surfaces yet the settings are the same as they were when 12-second
                          >sprinters were running the race in mud a century ago.

That had never occured to me. I doubt if you could mess around with the distance from the start to hurdle 1, but if you spaced them 6" further apart that would just make hurdle 10 to the finish 41.5 feet instead of 46 feet...not a big deal and I'm sure times would get faster.

Comment

"Actually, men's 110 hurdles should be placed farther apart. Event is held back
                            >by the fact that people of incredibly greater speed are running on incredibly
                            >faster surfaces yet the settings are the same as they were when 12-second
                            >sprinters were running the race in mud a century ago."

Forcing them to be incredibly greater technicians than the original high hurdlers. What an interesting and fascinating insight into the discussion. Thank you.

Comment

Anybody out there with any idea as to whether or not modern hurdlers take one step fewer from the blocks to the first barrier than they did in the early days?

Comment

Did not Rod Milburn at on time experiment with longer spacing between the hurdles and ran under 13.0 when the rec was 13.2?
                                All the best male hurdlers are chopping the strides drastically.
                                I think the leading female hurdlers can all handle the 9.13 spacing between the hurdles and the 36' height. However, why do the spacing have tobe the same as for the men? It could be 9m or 8.90. Juniors can run 110 with the current 8.50m spacing if that is more suitable.

Comment

Working...
                                X