Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• notes from the land of wooooo

Mary and I finally made the pilgrimage to the Penn Relays. Got back last Thurs after some sightseeing in Philly. First, not all that much woooo. Most important races were not close enough, but when they were, the woooo birds were in full cry. The most pervasive chants on the Sat were U-S-A Ja-mai-ca. It seemed to me that some folks couldn't make up there minds.

Jack Pfeifer squeezed us into the split crew, which made for good viewing (except in lanes 6-9, which is a reason that we like opposite the finish line) and hell, they even fed us.

The true flavor of the meet is the high school competition. They do bang them relays out. For the lesser boy's 4x400s, we weren't doing splits, so Mary did some bean counting. Upwards of 600 teams, they start with a double waterfall, break for the pole. Falls occur. She started hitting the watch when the last team crossed the finish line and stopping it at the gun for the next race. 27 seconds was the quickest, 30 about average.

I prefer a meet where there is time to reflect upon what I just saw and think about what is to come. But for spectacle and the pure essence of running, this meet is hard to top.

Oh, Mary even got her 15 minutes. In this weeks SI, under Alexis Gray's elbow is a white visor. Under magnification, it is a UCSC Slugs cap, and under that is Mary.

Re: notes from the land of wooooo

Originally posted by mike renfro
    The true flavor of the meet is the high school competition. They do bang them relays out. For the lesser boy's 4x400s, we weren't doing splits, so Mary did some bean counting. Upwards of 600 teams, they start with a double waterfall, break for the pole. Falls occur. She started hitting the watch when the last team crossed the finish line and stopping it at the gun for the next race. 27 seconds was the quickest, 30 about average.

I prefer a meet where there is time to reflect upon what I just saw and think about what is to come. But for spectacle and the pure essence of running, this meet is hard to top.
    Thanks, Mike.

I haven't been to the Penn Relays in many years, so it's sort of hard to imagine. But this strikes me as a meet whose top priorities are the competitors and the competition. And yet, in the process, they present something pretty darn good for the fans too. If so, there might be some meet directors who could learn from this.

Comment

Working...
    X