Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Track and Field Network

I believe someone else mentioned this before, but what would it take to broadcast a track and field network, that not only aire dup to date news, but also showec meets as they happen example; Tom Black Classic at the University of Tennesee in late Maythe college conference meets, and most of all had a format that showed classic races, like Bannisters mile and mile rcaes leading up to it. I'm at work or else I would go on. Any comments?

Re: Track and Field Network

sadly, very sadly, it would take 2 things that are not out there, namely:
    1. $$'s
    2.interest widespread enough to justify 1. above.

Comment

Agree with Steve; this would be great, but there is no way it will happen in the current environment.

Comment

It's too bad this couldn't happen. Although with a TV channel that showed all track stuff, I'd probably end up failing out of school because I'd sit around and watch track all day.

Comment

As I've ranted here before, I'd settle for simply having Eurosport available on US cable. The economics of the whole thing simply couldn't be all that significant, and I'd bet that there would be enough interest here to make it profitable. That way, at least we'd have GOOD coverage of the major international X-C races and summer track meets. I know, I'm a dreamer...

Comment

I'd settle for simply having Eurosport available on US cable.

That would definitely make my day.

Comment

I think it would take a super-rich track fan. If Bill and Melinda Gates loved track as much as we do, it'd be done.

Comment

I honestly don't know why it would take lots of money to have Eurosport on US cable. The darn thing already exists--it's just a matter of beaming the signal over here ("I'm not a communications engineer, but I play one on TV"). Eurosport's broad coverage of sports would guarantee a US audience FAR larger than the t&f die-hards alone. Eurosport's track coverage would VASTLY broaden our perspective on the sport. It would be very close to utopia.

Comment

>I think it would take a super-rich track fan. If Bill and Melinda Gates loved
                  >track as much as we do, it'd be done.

No it would not. It has nothing to do with "love". If the Gates could work out a precise buisness plan that would show a profit, then it would be considered. What the marketers don't need in Athletics is too be guided by an nit picker like yourself , it should be left to flourish on its own.

Comment

>>I think it would take a super-rich track fan. If Bill and Melinda Gates
                    >loved

No it would not. It has
                    >nothing to do with "love". If the Gates could work out a precise buisness
                    >plan that would show a profit, then it would be considered. What the marketers
                    >don't need in Athletics is too be guided by an nit picker like yourself , it
                    >should be left to flourish on its own.

Ban All Supplements, I certainly do not want to have a fight with you, but ML's comment under this thread was absolutely non-objectionable. If you want to quibble with him elsewhere that's one thing but you took a cheap shot here. Cool it.

Comment

>sadly, very sadly, it would take 2 things that are not out there, namely:
                      >$$'s
                      2.interest widespread enough to justify 1. above.

Flicking around yesterday I actually found curling on ESPN2...who on earth watches that? And, a week or so ago, I saw them covering a poker tournament. Perhaps there's hope though, Fox Sports World has loads of foreign sport coverage although it's mainly soccer. I have Dish now, I could have Eurosport for all I know as there are so many channels (comes with TiVo...SI had an article rating it as one of the worlds greatest inventions. They figured you can watch a basball game in 17 minutes).

Comment

>>I think it would take a super-rich track fan. If Bill and Melinda Gates
                        >loved

No it would not. It has
                        >nothing to do with "love". If the Gates could work out a precise buisness
                        >plan that would show a profit, then it would be considered. What the marketers
                        >don't need in Athletics is too be guided by an nit picker like yourself , it
                        >should be left to flourish on its own.

BAS, you did it again here... cheap shot at ML for no reason. Cool it. Why do you say he's lying ?!

Comment

One thing you've got to remember is that your average cable provider already has options for more channels than they know what to do with, so a channel has to have very high desirability coefficient before they'll go anywhere near it. I only just got Comedy Central back last month after an absence of two years (but had no shortage of home shopping networks). San Francisco proper, I believe, only just got ESPN2 for the first time. Eurosport would be way down on anybody's priority list I'm afraid.

One other point: Eurosport does a great job on track, to be sure, but have you ever spent a lot of time watching it? I remember being in Sweden a few years back and it seemed like it showed nothing but Monster Truck racing (seriously). They've got a need for junk programming, just as we do. (If "need" is the right word.) I think most Americans get a false impression because they cherry-pick Eurosport for track and are amply rewarded. It's not all that good.

Comment

Lack of content would be a major sticking point.....

Comment

So do what Fox Sports World does with soccer, share a channel between several lower niche sports. They show rugby and other similar sports. The 'Track' channel could combine track with ______ and ______ and _______. [fill in the blanks].

Comment

Working...
                              X