single competitor state team championships...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhc68
    • Oct 2005

single competitor state team championships...

"Bonnie Richardson of Rochelle High School scored 42 team points to win the Texas 1A track title"

Two questions:
    1) How many events are high school competitors allowed to run in Texas in a single meet?
    2) How many other single person teams have won state meets around the country?
  • 26mi235
    • Oct 2005
    • Madison, WI

Well, this has come up several times since the weekend, so I am not sure we need yet another thread, but then I will contribute a little. After one (slight) 'surprise' decathlete had qualified for the Olympics (probably 2000, but maybe back as far as 1996) he was asked about it being his biggest athletic thrill. His response was that it might be tied for it. At his state HS meet he had won the title all by himself. I think that it was Montana, but it might have been one of the neighboring mountain states.

A decathlete makes some sense, usually we think of sprinters who also jump (usually LJ), and the recent young miss added in non-typical field events.

Comment

• Cooter Brown
      • Oct 2005
      • Austin

Re: single competitor state team championships...

Originally posted by jhc68
      1) How many events are high school competitors allowed to run in Texas in a single meet?
      5 i think.

Comment

• 26mi235
        • Oct 2005
        • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Cooter Brown
        5 i think.
        Plus, you have the logistical constraints that you have to be able to manage all of the events even though there may be conflicts in the time table. You also have to have done the same in the qualifying meet, although in this case, the qualifying is probably not so hard at the 1A level.

Comment

• Alan Sigmon
          • Oct 2005
          • Hickory, NC, USA

The North Carolina High School Athletic Association stipulates that a school must have multiple entries (more than one person) in the state meet to be eligible for the team title. I seem to recall that this provision was added in response to a one-person "team" winning a state team title a number of years ago.

Comment

• 26mi235
            • Oct 2005
            • Madison, WI

Originally posted by Alan Sigmon
            The North Carolina High School Athletic Association stipulates that a school must have multiple entries (more than one person) in the state meet to be eligible for the team title. I seem to recall that this provision was added in response to a one-person "team" winning a state team title a number of years ago.
            That is a bunch of bunk from big programs that can have multiple qualifiers. Would you like to have the second highest score and be the State Champ? Smaller schools have a hard time having a number of athletes that can qualify, especially in states like Texas, California, and Florida.

Marlow, as someone from a 'big' program what is your opinion?

Comment

• Jnathletics
              • Oct 2005
              • In the Mitten

5 i think.
              From the article

... She laughed off a suggestion that she could have won more if UIL rules didn't limit individual participation to five events. ...
              The closest I've seen to this in Michigan was in 1987
              Rory Stace of Galesburg-Augusta won 3 events in Class C, I think he scored in another (110H 3rd?). I believe he placed 3rd in the team scoring by himself. 100 10.81, LJ 23'-0, HJ 6'-7"

Although, Jeff Barnett in 1986 won the team title with a little help. He won the 800, 1600, and 3200. He also anchored his 3200-relay team to a win.
              His team won with a score of 45 (over 2nd's 42) the other 5 points came from two PV's. His 30 points would have been good for 3rd or 4th, while including the relay they would have been 2nd. He also qualified for the HJ, but Michigan only allows participants to compete in 4 events.

Comment

• Cooter Brown
                • Oct 2005
                • Austin

The name escapes me but I think a girl in TX won 20 state medals over her 4 years with 19 of them gold. On the boys side, Toya Jones of Refugio won 17 medals with 13 gold. Either of them should have been near a team title by themselves but I'd suspect Refugio was placing multiple athletes at state during Toya's career.

Comment

• lumar
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 26mi235
                  Originally posted by Alan Sigmon

Marlow, as someone from a 'big' program what is your opinion?
                  he is too busy printing state champion t-shirts for the entire team..

Comment

• gm
                    • Oct 2005

The name escapes me but I think a girl in TX won 20 state medals over her 4 years with 19 of them gold. On the boys side, Toya Jones of Refugio won 17 medals with 13 gold. Either of them should have been near a team title by themselves but I'd suspect Refugio was placing multiple athletes at state during Toya's career.
                    Maybe JimAnne Baker?
                    And Refugio is the most successful overall boys/girls program in Texas high school history, IIRC.

Comment

Didn't Jesse Owens win the state championship or was that the Big 10 meet?

Comment

• guru
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Deadwood, SD

Originally posted by maggot
                        No. Ohioans to do it were:

Boys -

Glenn Davis, Barberton, 1954; Craig Wallace, Dunbar, 1964; Eric Penick, Gilmour Academy, 1971; Lincoln Cobb, Pettisville, 1991; and Ryan Wilson, Westerville North, 1998.

Girls -

LaVonna Martin, Trotwood-Madison, 1983, 1984; and Sarah DeWolfe, Ayersville, 1996.

Comment

• tlb747
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 26mi235
                          Well, this has come up several times since the weekend, so I am not sure we need yet another thread, but...
                          It does happen from time to time.

Comment

• Halfmiler2
                            • Oct 2005

Are there many other states that allow athletes to compete in five events instead of the standard of four events?

I do not recall this ever happening in New Jersey although I do recall two girls winning a county or sectional meet once, probably in the early 1980's. Garfield may have been the school.

Comment

• 26mi235
                              • Oct 2005
                              • Madison, WI

Originally posted by maggot
                              His 'golden' Big Ten meet in 1935 resulted in was a second behind Michigan, if I recall correctly. Ohio State was 'very heavy at the top' with their star jumper as well in the mix.

Comment

Working...
                              X