Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think staying on I-205 is easier, but there is nothing wrong with the I-205/I-84/I-5 route. The places I would be careful are near Salem where the speed limit drops from 65 to 60, just outside of Eugene where it drops from 65 to 55, and near Coburg (which is just north of Eugene). Regarding lunch, withouth straying a ways from the freeway, there isn't a ton of unique lunch stops along the way. If you're really hungry, there are some good places to eat in the airport (Gustav's, Stanfords etc.). On the road, I'd stop in Wilsonville, Woodburn, or Salem if you want to stop. I'd probably just drive to Eugene. My recommendations (and I'm far from a Eugene food expert) would be (Burrito Boy on Franklin Blvd, Track Town or Pegasus Pizza, or the McMenamins over by the track (19th Street Cafe at 19th & Agate).

Comment

I will be arriving in Portland, Thur June 26, 4:55 PM and driving rental car to Eugene. I have to be in Eugene by 7:00 PM so we will not be stopping to eat. If anyone wants to ride with me PM me.

Comment

Originally posted by lonewolf
        I will be arriving in Portland, Thur June 26, 4:55 PM and driving rental car to Eugene. I have to be in Eugene by 7:00 PM so we will not be stopping to eat. If anyone wants to ride with me PM me.
        Good luck; you have to 1) get luggage; 2) get a rental car; and 3) drive through the rush hour traffic to get 120 miles to Eugene (and presumably drive more than 100m in Eugene). I hope you have a little flexibility in the 7pm target.

Comment

Yep, I am well aware of the time squeeze but earlier flight was full. The officials meeting is 7-8:30 pm. This is my 6th OT to officiate, so I could probably wing it anyway.

Comment

Thanks to all for all the responses. I've been to Portland and I have been to Eugene before, but never driven between them or had a car at either. Looking forward to it. :wink:

By the way, how far a drive from Eugene is Coos Bay and is it worth going to?

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
              Originally posted by Aiden
              I have done this Portland- Eugene shuttle two or three times and will be doing it again for the Trials. It is about 120 miles, not a difficult drive , no mountains, about two hours, unless there is a traffic jam getting back into the airport from the interstate.
              That about sums it up really. Pego, you could probably fly for less than the cost of driving these days!
              Probably, but I don't mind driving across the country. Never been to the Northwest.
              Come visit Seattle on the off days! 8)

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
                Thanks to all for all the responses. I've been to Portland and I have been to Eugene before, but never driven between them or had a car at either. Looking forward to it. :wink:

By the way, how far a drive from Eugene is Coos Bay and is it worth going to?
                It is a ways but not as far as Portland and it is prettier (and winds more). If you do that, you might want to travel up or down the coast a bit. If you go north, you can come back US20 through Corvallis. I used to live just off 20, below Mary's Peak when I taught at Oregon State. Mary's Peak is the highest point in the coast range (~4100 feet) and you can drive almost all the way up. I used to ride up -- on good days you can see not only Mt Hood but Mt Rainier as well. Of course you can go south to the dunes area or further north as well!

Try this link for pictures:

Comment

Yep, I am well aware of the time squeeze but earlier flight was full. The officials meeting is 7-8:30 pm. This is my 6th OT to officiate, so I could probably wing it anyway.
                  Do you know yet what events you are officiating?
                  "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                  by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

I have lived along the entire corridor over the past 9 years (Wilsonville, Salem and currently Albany) and can offer the best exits for food and cheaper gas and traffic.

In Portland one way to avoid the worst traffic at rush hour is to take 82nd right out of the airport up to I-84 W and then south on I-5 S which moves fairly well compared to I-205.

The food in the airport is adequate but the Gustav's at Clackamas Town Center exit (where infamous Olympic skater Tonya Harding used to train) is way better than the airport location. Same for Stanfords which is also there. Both have great happy hour full meal food for $3 or less in the bars from 3 pm - 6:30 and also 9 pm to close.

In Wilsonville you can exit at the main Wilsonville exit and head east 2 blocks to Wankers for some good cheap food and spirits with a relaxing patio and a lively night life.

In Salem the exit to take is Market where you will see a Newport Bay on east side(also offers happy hour food deals) while the west side leads to a host of fast food, Outback, Marie Callenders, Applebees and some local fair to very good Mexican fare along Lancaster which runs parallel one block east. Downtown Salem offers some very good bars, food and shops for those not in a hurry just a few blocks west of the unique capitol about 5 minutes off I-5

In Albany the pickings right off the free-way are limited to fast food at either exit but if you exit at the first exit you can't return going south and have to go to next exit. If you take the 2nd exit headed south (Hwy 22) you can venture about a half-mile west to 2nd traffic light and turn left and when the road deadends in, the parking lot in front of you has a great Hungarian restaurant called Novaks run by a former Hungarian track athlete.

For those up for a great trail run there is Washington Park in Portland, Silver Falls about 20 minutes east of Salem off of Highway 22 with a 7-mile loop full of about a dozen waterfalls some quite spectacular especially over the next few weeks with all the snow melting in the mountains.

Cheapest gas can be found in Aurora just south of Wilsonville where you will find 3 cheap stations including a Shell with a Popeyes chicken. In Salem the Market Street exit has cheap gas at the Arco W of I-5 and at Fred Meyer E of I5 as you head south.

Comment

If you're flying from points east, United has a couple of nonstop flights from their Denver hub to Eugene. Don't know if the times or prices are user-friendly, but here's an example for Friday 6/27:

United
                      Flight 6665 operated by UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST 9:22pm
                      Denver, CO (DEN) 11:04pm
                      Eugene, OR (EUG) 2hrs 42min - Nonstop
                      Flight 6663 operated by UNITED EXPRESS/SKYWEST 11:40am
                      Denver, CO (DEN) 1:22pm
                      Eugene, OR (EUG) 2hrs 42min - Nonstop

Comment

There have always been flights to Eugene from Denver and San Francisco on United, and from Salt Lake City on Delta. I suspect, though, that all of those flights are either totally sold out or very, very pricey by now, if you're planning to arrive the day before the Trials and leave the day after.

Comment

Originally posted by Pego
                          Do you know yet what events you are officiating?
                          Horizontal Jumps and on call for other events as needed.
                          With two crews, both will work Qualifying for Men and Women, LJ and TJ , and each crew will work Finals for LJ and TJ for either M or W.

That is only 6 events with small fields/crew, which leaves quite a bit of down time. In many respects, OT and Olympics are the easiest meets you will ever work.

Comment

Working...
                          X