• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • proofs in the pudd'in
    • Oct 2005
    • Among the Joshua Trees

300m ?

Seeing that JW will be running a 300m race this season I was wondering how this race is run?

Is there 2 straights / 1 curve or 2 curves / 1 straight ?

Also, I think JWs en route 300 is 31.58 but this is a 2 curves / 1 straight so it might not be a great indication of what he is capable of at this distance.

Can he set a WR at this distance?

I never even seen a 300m race before - any insights?
  • doug091463
    • Oct 2005

every time i see these odd distances i get worried, track will get like boxing where there used to be 8 weight divisions and 1 champion per weight, now boxing has 17 weight divisions and 4 major sanctioning body champions and countless minor organizations, track already has 47 events 24 for men and 23 for women in championship events when people start talking about odd distances 300 meters, 2k, 15k 10 mile etc. if more odd distances are allowed it could open the floodgates for more events to be added, then track could wind up like boxing every one is a champion and nobody cares.

Comment

• Marlow
      • Jan 2008
      • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Re: 300m ?

Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
      Seeing that JW will be running a 300m race this season I was wondering how this race is run?
      Also, I think JWs en route 300 is 31.58 but this is a 2 curves / 1 straight so it might not be a great indication of what he is capable of at this distance.
      It's the same finish-line for every race, so they start at the beginning of the back straight, staggered, in blocks. The 'World Best' is MJ's 30.85a; L Merritt ran 31.31 non-alt.

Comment

• 26mi235
        • Oct 2005
        • Madison, WI

Originally posted by doug091463
        every time i see these odd distances i get worried, track will get like boxing where there used to be 8 weight divisions and 1 champion per weight, now boxing has 17 weight divisions and 4 major sanctioning body champions and countless minor organizations, track already has 47 events 24 for men and 23 for women in championship events when people start talking about odd distances 300 meters, 2k, 15k 10 mile etc. if more odd distances are allowed it could open the floodgates for more events to be added, then track could wind up like boxing every one is a champion and nobody cares.
        There are 'standard' distances (i.e., those in championships) and there are non-standard distances, which best World Bests, essentially and are not on par with the others, with the exceptions of 3000 (which has a fabulous record) and the mile (which is a special case that is becoming less special over time).

No need to worry about events being watered down. It is generally interesting to see the other distances (the 2000 and 3000 do fill what is the biggest gap percentage wise because the 1500 was put there instead of the 2000 for historical reasons that people fight about).

Comment

• Vault-emort
          • Feb 2007
          • In the pits

Originally posted by doug091463
          every time i see these odd distances i get worried <snips>
          'Odd distances' have been run for as long as the sport has been going. It's only in the last 40 years events have really been standardised. The Mile is today an odd-distance event yet possibly the most famous distance in track history.

I think some odd distance events can add interest to an early season meet where the 'stars' aren't going to be in top shape at a standard distance. While nobody's gonna be too interested in nonsense events like a 1m dash or the 123m hurdle records, a 'b list' of non-standard track events such as:

60m, 100y, 150m, 300m, 600m, 1000m, 2000m, 2 Mile, 4x200/800/1500/5000

can still provide valid alternatives to meet promoters and the sport:

They're good workouts for athletes. A challenge for some coaches. A bit of a different buzz for fans and spectators. Chance of a local/national/junior/world best here or there. More headlines for the event and the sport. It's all good isn't it??

Comment

• EPelle
            • Oct 2005

doug, 300m is a perfect race distance for Wariner (and company) to hurt, burn and run extremely fast heading into the USA OT. He won:t run as fast through 300m in a 400m, and he won:t split as fast in a 200m during a 400m as he will in this 300m. A true case of pushing harder than he will ever have before is in order.

Wariner loves attacking that third 100m of a 400m, so here:s his grandest opportunity yet to run it like he:s never done before (in a race).

Comment

• gh
              Administrator
              • Oct 2005
              • west of Westeros

Re: 300m ?

Originally posted by Marlow
              Originally posted by proofs in the pudd'in
              It's the same finish-line for every race, so they start at the beginning of the back straight, staggered, in blocks. The 'World Best' is MJ's 30.85a; L Merritt ran 31.31 non-alt.
              If I were a meet promoter and wanted to run a truly exciting race I'd limit the field to 6, put them in a waterfall start sans blocks (screw the rules) and have the 200 start as the break line. Of course a Wariner might then say to me, "Dude, I didn't sign up for roller derby!"

Comment

• tandfman
                • Oct 2005

If you're going to do that, you might as well start them from a curved line and let them go at it right from the gun. Of course the fastest guy may lose to the one with the sharpest elbows.

Comment

• dukehjsteve
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Fishers, IN

I'll espouse the following for the umpteenth time:

Run all 400's with a 1 turn stagger, then a break line before heading down the back straight. You'll see some great first 200 times, plus a spectacular race for the fans. Watch 'em fan back off that last turn and make final bids for glory. As it is, the 400 is a terrible event for spectators.

Comment

• tandfman
                    • Oct 2005

One problem with that is that very few tracks have the chute that you'd need for the start, and I suspect that many major track stadiums don't have the room you'd need to add one.

Comment

• 26mi235
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Madison, WI

I understand the comment to be: Start at the 200m staggers, and at 110m, when they hit the backstraight, have the break for the next curve (no more running in lanes). Still two turns in the race, with lanes just for the first turn. I actually am not a big fan of that, but ...

Comment

• rasb
                        • Aug 2007
                        • South of the 49th

Wouldn't the 300 m. start, if run in lanes the whole way, be the middle line of the first relay exchange? And if you wanted to run the first 100 m. in lanes, and then go roller derby, you would need to put a new stagger line in each lane, taking into account the cutdown distance to lane 1 at the 200m. mark.
                        Running 2 turns in the 300 m. makes no sense to me.

Comment

• tandfman
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by 26mi235
                          I understand the comment to be: Start at the 200m staggers, and at 110m, when they hit the backstraight, have the break for the next curve (no more running in lanes). Still two turns in the race, with lanes just for the first turn. I actually am not a big fan of that, but ...
                          I've never heard anyone propose that. It would mean that the race would finish at the end of the curve. That makes no sense at all.

(Furthermore, it is technically wrong. The 200 meter staggers can't be used for a race in which they break from the lanes--the measurement of the staggers presumes that they will run the straight in lanes.)

Comment

• gh
                            Administrator
                            • Oct 2005
                            • west of Westeros

At the risk of putting words in steve's mouth, I think he's just espousing something I've championed in the past: the 1-turn 400 starts in blocks at the 800 start; run the first curve in lanes, then break for the pole once you hit the cones. QED

Comment

• tandfman
                              • Oct 2005

OK, looking back at all of the posts, I see that I misunderstood several of them. Steve was talking about running a 400m with a one-turn stagger. I mis-read that to be a 400m around one turn (which they used to run regularly, but which cannot be run on most tracks today).

Then 26mi235 suggested something that I thought referred to a 300m race, but it's clear now that he, too was referring to the 400m.

Never mind. ops:

Comment

Working...
                              X