Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrome Dome
    There was a time when I had to go to the library to get meet results from the NY Times, and that was all one living here could do.
    Oh my. I'd rather just forget. But in the late 1950s you could turn to the 3rd or 4th page of the Washington Post Sports section and read somewhat detailed results of local high school T&F meets (I know 'cause I competed). Meets like the Penn Relays or the big indoor meets in Manhattan, although out of town, were covered exhaustively.

Well, we'll never see those days again. But once was nice.

Comment

There was once a time in the ’70s when we read about a fairly significant U.S. mark first in the French daily L’Équipe!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
        There was once a time in the ’70s when we read about a fairly significant U.S. mark first in the French daily L’Équipe!
        Given the Europeans' comparatively greater interest in The Sport, that sort of thing might still be possible.

Comment

Wonder of wonders! Our intrepid postperson has negotiated the treacherous route to Chez P., evading mosquito clouds, sunning rattlesnakes, languishing alligators and the occasional black bear, to deliver my wayward T&FN (carefully marked “TIME SENSITIVE" on the envelope).

I turned immediately to the Letters section at back, and read without flinching (much) the editor’s response that precipitated this thread. What I was truly struck by was the letter itself -- surely one of the most distinguished examples of tongue-in-cheek to appear in the language in ages. (One hopes the excellent Mr. Harte isn’t still attempting to extract his sharp tongue.) If anthologies of such things are compiled, this item should appear on page one.

Comment

And here I didn't think people read Letters to the Editor anymore (since nobody much sends them): I had multiple people ask me in Eugene (including a stranger on the plane) ask me if I'd had a new photo taken yet.

I wandered over to the vault pit during Brad Walker's World Record attempts, and the first thing Jeff Hartwig said to me was, "Got a new picture yet?"

The second thing he asked was, "If Brad clears, who gets the cover, him or Usain Bolt?" Explained to him that Bolt news had slipped into the previoius issue (but didn't make the cover), and that since the next issue would be almost pure NCAA, a pro on the cover might not fly. So Walker's AR not likely, but passing Bubka....

As for who did make the July front page, I have a copy hot off the presses in my sweaty little palms. And the answer is....

Comment

Originally posted by George P.
              Originally posted by gh
              Given the Europeans' comparatively greater interest in The Sport, that sort of thing might still be possible.
              Not if you count as reading what you see here and on the event websites.

Comment

On snail mail vs sea slug mail (1st vs 2nd class) v overseas airmail. Back in the '90s, I subscribe to TFN, TN and AI (UK newsletter put out by Watman etc). When I got the Modesto results in AI (from the midlands, I think) before TL (from mysterious Mountain View), I decided to drop TN. I suspect that UK pubs don't quite get here that fast anymore. And when an AI subscription got up to $US150 (coeinsiding roughly with the appearance of eTN), the drop was judicious. Mostly, I get my 2nd class sent TFN in a roughly timely manner, but it might be tight for the OT predictions up in the next issue.

GH, will the magazine be sold at Hayward during the meet?

Comment

Trying to sell ANYTHING at Hayward is a basic non-starter.

We should have an outlet where you can get a free Preview issue and a beer to boot (not free!).

Comment

If that wasn't toungue in cheek, post the bar name. PS, at a nationals a few years back, some of the women althletes posed for a pinup calendar (procedes for charity) and that was sold at Hayward.

Comment

Originally posted by gh

We should have an outlet where you can get a free Preview issue and a beer to boot (not free!).
                      What's the arguement for no beer in the stands but a 100m away is fine? :cry: I just remembered pounding brews in the stadium in Atlanta!
                      phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
                        Originally posted by gh

What's the arguement for no beer in the stands but a 100m away is fine? :cry: I just remembered pounding brews in the stadium in Atlanta!
                        Which was probably the tipping point here :shock:

Comment

Atlanta not a college (read STATE) facility.

Special-use permit required. (Nike gets one to pour beer in its hospitality suite, for example)

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Atlanta not a college (read STATE) facility.

Special-use permit required. (Nike gets one to pour beer in its hospitality suite, for example)
                            Oh, well that makes sense. I seem to remember New Orleans as a beer garden only also, is that right?
                            phsstt!

Comment

No, New Orleans sold beer in the concourse right behind the stands (thank god, in that weather!). As did LA in '84 and Atlanta in '96 and Sacto both times. No beer in Indy or Eugene.

Comment

so will you be selling the mag..........or?

(I am too young for beer).

Comment

Working...
                                X