Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Memory of Charlie Dumas

I witnessed Charlie Dumas high jump 7-feet to set the world record, on June 29, 1956 at the LA Coliseum. This was my introduction to one of the greatest athletes ever from Compton Jr College, USC and the Melbourne Olympic Games. He captured our hearts with his sportsmanship & gold medals. Above all, Dumas was a tremendous human being & we will surely miss him. God bless him & his family. Charlie, I'll remember you forever.

Re: A Memory of Charlie Dumas

>I witnessed Charlie Dumas high jump 7-feet to set the world record, on June 29,
    >1956 at the LA Coliseum. This was my introduction to one of the greatest
    >athletes ever from Compton Jr College, USC and the Melbourne Olympic Games. He
    >captured our hearts with his sportsmanship & gold medals. Above all, Dumas was
    >a tremendous human being & we will surely miss him. God bless him & his family.
    >Charlie, I'll remember you forever.

Scroll back about 3 pages, and you'll find a nother thread on Charlie with similar comments.

Comment

CDs greatest quote I thought they would flip a coin and I would surely lose

Comment

>CDs greatest quote I thought they would flip a coin and I would surely lose

classic and presumably true quote.... check it out in T&FN 1956 Olympic issue, prefaced by T&FN's good humored comment of " Dumas, whose physical feats apparently far outweigh his mental, said..."

Had to do with Dumas' fear of how a tie would be settled between him and 2nd placer Chilla Porter if Dumas did not clear a higher height... but he did !

Comment

Working...
        X