Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 800m training

I am a freshman in high school with a PR of 2:04 in the 800m. I have decided to run cross country this and really want to break 2 minutes my sophomore year of track (spring '09). I was wondering if you can help me devise a schedule to train for the whole summer until xc starts. I was thinking of doing 30-40 miles since i have never built a base or run xc in the past. I was also going to run strides after my runs 3-4x a week. Besides the traditional running x amount of miles every day and then strides after, what else should i be doing that would help my 800m performances in the spring? Do you think you can help me out?
    Freshman in High School:

PRs:

800m- 2:04.09

You need to visit with your high school coach about what he/she wants you doing in the off-season. There are other things you could be doing, but what you are suggesting certainly isn't "wrong." I strongly urge to call your high school coach for several reasons; it shows your level of interest and dedication and it keeps you on the same page as your coach when the season starts.

Welcome to the sport, and good to see you asking questions. Try to learn all you can. Best of luck in cross country and track.

Comment

I'm not involved in HS T&F but aren't there (stupid)(really stupid)(I'll say it again, REALLY stupid) rules that forbid coaching contact like this in the off-season? Be careful you don't violate such a rule and screw up your eligibility. If you've got a good running store or college or university in town, you could seek out help there. A lot of folks would be thrilled to have a motivated 2:04 frosh come to them for help with his training.

Comment

or get involved with a club team with a quality coach...

price is from easton, but her club running is with a club side 90 minutes away near philly...

Comment

There are also plenty of books about training for different events though I'm not the one to know which to recommend. A 2:04 in 9th grade is excellent.

Comment

Re: 800m training

Originally posted by jpittell7
            I am a freshman in high school with a PR of 2:04 in the 800m. I have decided to run cross country this and really want to break 2 minutes my sophomore year of track (spring '09). I was wondering if you can help me devise a schedule to train for the whole summer until xc starts. I was thinking of doing 30-40 miles since i have never built a base or run xc in the past. I was also going to run strides after my runs 3-4x a week. Besides the traditional running x amount of miles every day and then strides after, what else should i be doing that would help my 800m performances in the spring? Do you think you can help me out?
            You sound like your on the right track. Dont train too hard during the summer. Try to find friends to run with. Try to run new course's. Run hills if you can. Lift weights for your upper body strenght. Do lots of core work, set ups and leg lifts, this will really help you in the last 200 of a 800. Good luck!
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by DrJay
              I'm not involved in HS T&F but aren't there (stupid)(really stupid)(I'll say it again, REALLY stupid) rules that forbid coaching contact like this in the off-season? Be careful you don't violate such a rule and screw up your eligibility. If you've got a good running store or college or university in town, you could seek out help there. A lot of folks would be thrilled to have a motivated 2:04 frosh come to them for help with his training.
              I am aware of no rule in any state so stringent as to prevent a phone call with a question about a general training outline. In fact, most decent high school coaches even give their kids written guidelines for the summer and have a few get-togethers during the summer. What is absolutely verboten is any kind of mandatory practice.

Comment

Originally posted by Zat0pek
                I am aware of no rule in any state so stringent as to prevent a phone call with a question about a general training outline. In fact, most decent high school coaches even give their kids written guidelines for the summer and have a few get-togethers during the summer. What is absolutely verboten is any kind of mandatory practice.
                Florida is stringent about this kind of stuff, but even we do not curtail contact between runner and coach in the summer. The only thing you can't do is what got Newton (??) in trouble - have a 'camp' just for your runners, which is essentially pre-pre-season practice. Coaches here are free to talk to their runners and give them workouts. You just can't meet at the school with the rest of the team and go running together (but you can meet off campus for an 'open' run)

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                  Originally posted by Zat0pek
                  Florida is stringent about this kind of stuff, but even we do not curtail contact between runner and coach in the summer. The only thing you can't do is what got Newton (??) in trouble - have a 'camp' just for your runners, which is essentially pre-pre-season practice. Coaches here are free to talk to their runners and give them workouts. You just can't meet at the school with the rest of the team and go running together (but you can meet off campus for an 'open' run)
                  Good. I learned something today, and the bureaucrarts are not as stupid as I assumed.

Comment

how do you guys find the motivation to run by yourself (i honestly cannot run with anyone nobody else wants to) day in and day out? Also, my mom is worried about my safety so the only runs I have done SO FAR are loops around my .45 mile street. Will doing this almost every day be bad for me physically or mentally? how can i let my parents grant me permission to run on main streets alone?
                    Freshman in High School:

PRs:

Comment

how do you guys find the motivation to run by yourself (i honestly cannot run with anyone nobody else wants to) day in and day out? Also, my mom is worried about my safety so the only runs I have done SO FAR are loops around my .45 mile street. Will doing this almost every day be bad for me physically or mentally? how can i let my parents grant me permission to run on main streets alone?
                      Doing the same 750m loop will make you bored; see the part where you say you cannot run without others. I do not know the nature of where you live, but I have rarely thought much about the safety of where I am running. You are now 15 or so and if the big block is safe, so is the next one. Talk to the coach about places to run and about people to talk to about stuff like this, which is local.

Comment

Are there no public (presumably safe) parks where you can run? There should be people in your town who can give you some good advice in this regard. Every community has its running enclave - you just need to find yours.

Comment

when is the best time to do weights if you are running 5x a week or so? if you lifted 2-3x a week would you do it on the days that you run (before or after?) or maybe on an off day?
                          Freshman in High School:

PRs:

Comment

Answer #1:
                            Track down and read a "Once a Runner", a novel by John Parker, then you will understand (you may have to borrow it, it's out of print. Be forewarned that if you do not return it to its owner, he/she will follow you to the ends of the earth to get it back.) The most important thing you can develop this summer is consistency. Aim for, or rather, do a workout 6 days a week, realizing some days may only be a token 3 or 4 mile easy run. The consistency is key, getting to the point where you wake up knowing you will run that day, not wondering if you will. If it's raining, run in the rain. If it's snowing, you run in the snow. If it's 95F, you run without a shirt on. In 8th grade, I would run in place indoors for 10 or 15 minutes if it was raining. Soon I realized I wouldn't melt like the Wicked Witch of the West if I got wet and some of the best runs I've ever had were in the rain. You just got to have the right clothes (it doesn't take much to keep warm with all the heat you generate while running.)

Comment

Answer to #3 (the "mentally"part): read every post you can by Mr. Squackee, malmo, zatopek, cyril, me, epelle....anyone else guys? then you decide. Ignore Marlow, he's a sprinter/hurdler and they're crazy. Also ignore gh, he is a couch potato and a lost cause.

Comment

Working...
                              X