14:55 for 1st 5k
    14:26 for 2nd 5k = 29:31
    The good news is that I still have a pulse. ops:
    Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
      Originally posted by Mennisco
      Originally posted by CookyMonzta
      In any case, the Chinese will have their hands full, because they have no one right now who is in the class of Wang or the Ethiopians. .
      or Wangui...

The fastest 5K ever covered by a woman is still Wang's 14:06 to finish off that 29:31.78. Tirunesh D.'s last 2K of 5:32.18, yesterday, is pretty blazing when you look at the fastest 2K track races, which includes some Wang-zian splits from what I'm guessing were 3K races:

http://www.alltime-athletics.com/w_2000ok.htm
      no wang junxia's 5k splits in her world record 10k were
      14:55 for 1st 5k
      14:26 for 2nd 5k = 29:31
      Check your arithmetic, bub. I think you are just a bit off. You may also want to check your 1993 T&FN collection. Her splits were 15:05 and 14:26.

For a woman who just ran 14:11, 14:31 to cover the last 5K should be quite easy. Painful for that last mile, but easy overall. 15:00 should be a very easy opener for her.

Then again, she may want to put the competition on their backs early, and try for 14:50+14:40.

Comment

what about meseret defar? she will definetely run the 5k, but if tirunesh dibaba runs the 10 and 5k double i wonder if defar will try to double as well either in the 1500 or 5k.. i think t. dibaba and defar might be the 2 best girls in the world in anything from 1500 to 10k.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
          what about meseret defar? she will definetely run the 5k, but if tirunesh dibaba runs the 10 and 5k double i wonder if defar will try to double as well either in the 1500 or 5k.. i think t. dibaba and defar might be the 2 best girls in the world in anything from 1500 to 10k.
          What is Defar's best 1,500? I figure 3:57 should be easy for her. I'm thinking that maybe Pamela Jelimo might try for a double, but only if the 800 final is run before the 1,500 heats. She will obviously go all-out for the 800.

Comment

Anyone have Dibaba's lap splits or know some where that I can find them. I have the 1k splits of the leader and a couple of the final laps.

I suppose I could wait until it's reaired on the 15th. Any chance the broadcast will be put up on the USATF site like Berlin meet was? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by MK
              Anyone have Dibaba's lap splits or know some where that I can find them. I have the 1k splits of the leader and a couple of the final laps.

I suppose I could wait until it's reaired on the 15th. Any chance the broadcast will be put up on the USATF site like Berlin meet was? Thanks.
              If you subscribed to Track and Field News you would get eTrack e-mailed to you; I think those splits are very likely to be there, possibly very detailed.

Comment

Originally posted by pickle47
                With . . . what looked to be some erratic pacing, she can go lower yet!
                Originally posted by Jaack
                AMAZING and the erratic pacing of that implies a sub 14 is very possible
                It is a common, almost universal belief that perfectly even pacing from lap-to-lap produces the best performance, but this is not borne out by what is known about human physiology:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11740303

In other words, a certain amount of variability in the pace is actually good. A better way to judge pace is the first half split as a % of the final time. An analysis of men's 5/10 records shows that nearly even halves (i.e., 50% +/- 0.4% produce the biggest improvements; see http://rundynamics2.webs.com/PEpace.pdf (Fig. 3, p. 5).

Interpolating the halfway time from the 2,000 and 3,000 intermediate times of Dabiba's new WR, I find she went out in ~7:10 and came home in ~7:02, so the first half time was ~50.5% of the final time (i.e., she 'split negative'). On that basis, I would agree that she could have done better.

Picky, picky, picky . . .

Comment

Originally posted by joeltetreault
                  Switching back to Dibaba's splits, her last 3k was run in an astonishing 8:27.52 (14:11.15 - 5:43.63). That split would be 52nd on the alltime 3000m list:.....
                  Athletics International notes that her three fastest kilos during the race add to 8:20.52!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    Originally posted by joeltetreault
                    Switching back to Dibaba's splits, her last 3k was run in an astonishing 8:27.52 (14:11.15 - 5:43.63). That split would be 52nd on the alltime 3000m list:.....
                    Athletics International notes that her three fastest kilos during the race add to 8:20.52!
                    In comparison, Defar's top 3 kilos from her 14:16 WR:

2:51.0, 2:51.9, 2:47.1

gives a cumulative 3000m of 8:30.0. Her race was much more evenly paced though. The 8:20.52 really underscores how impressive Dibaba's run was, to be that fast with splits all over the place.

Comment

Working...
                    X