Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT Scheduling Question

I thought the rational for holding this event over 10 days was to mirror the schedule of the Olympic Games. But the OT is 8 days of competition with two open days in the middle, whereas the Oly Games is 9 straight days, no breaks. (Also, the OG have morning and evening sessions every day, unlike Eugene.)

Just a way for the locals to get an extra day of everyone's tourist dollars??? (He says cynically!)

I have found that the break days, while may be good for the athletes, they are a dogsend for the fans

Comment

It's my understanding that that decision is driven by tv. NBC wants meaningful content on two weekends. Just about the only way to do that is to throw two rest days in the middle of the week. IIRC, It's been that way for many years.

In comparing the Trials with the Games, remember, too, that the Trials have no marathons or 50km walk, nor are there relays.

Comment

Re: OT Scheduling Question

Originally posted by bad hammy
        I thought the rational for holding this event over 10 days was to mirror the schedule of the Olympic Games. But the OT is 8 days of competition with two open days in the middle, whereas the Oly Games is 9 straight days, no breaks. (Also, the OG have morning and evening sessions every day, unlike Eugene.)

Just a way for the locals to get an extra day of everyone's tourist dollars??? (He says cynically!)
        I think each individual event more or less mirrors the OG schedule, it's less important that the overall meet mirror it.

Comment

Yes; if all the stay-at-homes want to see 4 days of the OT on mainstream channels, that means 4 weekend days and that mandates competition on the first Friday in order to get enough events far enough down the loop so they can be contested then.

And TV money remains crucial to us.

You really don't want to see it happen any other way in an overall sense of what's good for the sport.

Comment

Working...
          X