• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mexican Food in Eugene

Any recommendations?
    "Who's Kidding Who?"

http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2008/04/24/ ... xican.html

You're going to find real Mexican food on Blair Blvd or River Road.

Comment

There used to be a terrific Mexican place called Moreno's. Unfortunately, it closed two years ago.

Comment

Of course, going to Eugene searching for good Mexican food is like going to Mexico City in search of grillled salmon with a local pinot noir.

Comment

mexican food in the north? haha.... "come back to texas....besides the mexican food sucks north of here anyway"

Comment

Originally posted by gh
            Of course, going to Eugene searching for good Mexican food is like going to Mexico City in search of grillled salmon with a local pinot noir.
            Not really. Migrant workers make the yearly trek from as far away as Brownsville Texas all the way up the I5 corridor to Washington State and back every year. Heavy savers, many Mexican families end up establishing roots in the Northwest and starting businesses in an area where many of them have expertise - restaurants, authentic Mexican restaurants.

Of course, Mexican heroin and pot dealers also work the i5 corridor as well,but that's a different story.

Comment

My not-insignificant experience with Mexican restaurants up and down the length of the I-5 corridor (my ex-wife was half Mexican and grew up in Washington) is that the relationship to "good" Mexican food is inversely proportional to the proximity to the 49th parallel. There's something about the higher latitudes that sucks all the life and excitement out of the cuisine. Habaneros morph into jalapeños, jalapeños become pepperoncini....

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                http://www.eugeneweekly.com/2008/04/24/chow/mexican.html

You're going to find real Mexican food on Blair Blvd or River Road.
                Thanks.

BTW, me thinks that what Garry refers to is the dilution factor, because Mexicans have learned the hard way that gringos can't handle to really hot stuff, so they prepare it differently in the North.
                "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Not just the Scoville Units; also the depth and breadth of the menu. The farther north you go, harder it becomes to find anything outside the holy trinity of burrito/taco/tostada.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                    My not-insignificant experience with Mexican restaurants up and down the length of the I-5 corridor (my ex-wife was half Mexican and grew up in Washington) is that the relationship to "good" Mexican food is inversely proportional to the proximity to the 49th parallel. There's something about the higher latitudes that sucks all the life and excitement out of the cuisine. Habaneros morph into jalapeños, jalapeños become pepperoncini....
                    Some of that is ingrediants (or lack thereof) and some is expertise. After one saves and opens a small family restaurant, will you still make your own tortillas. Maybe if you brought grandma along, but you sure as hell ain't getting an anlgo teenager to do the necessary grunt work in a restaurant.

Mexican restaurants here, we have lots of good ones, from classic Mexican cusine to some really good taco stands. Grilled salmon & local pinot noir, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      Not just the Scoville Units; also the depth and breadth of the menu. The farther north you go, harder it becomes to find anything outside the holy trinity of burrito/taco/tostada.
                      I ain't talking bout no burrito/taco/tostata places. I'm talking authentic, homestyle Mexican food, and you won't find them listed in Chamber of Commerce restaurant guides. I have one place in mind. If they're still in business, I'll post it on this thread to let you know.

If you aren't impressed, I'll pay for your meal and drinks.

Comment

628 Blair is the address for the Mexican joint.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                          628 Blair is the address for the Mexican joint.
                          Thanks, I'll go, but get your wallet ready for a run. Those of us who think Taco Bell is what mexican food is supposed to be, will probably be sorely disappointed by something such as you describe! :twisted:

Comment

?????? Is epelle writing for you now? I have no idea what you're trying to say?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              Those of us who think Taco Bell is what mexican food is supposed to be, will probably be sorely disappointed by something such as you describe!
                              If you like taco bell surely you'll like real mexican food? On the other hand since you seem to think real food is inferior to twinkies then malmo might well be in trouble.

Comment

Working...
                              X