Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Daisy
    Originally posted by gm
    Considering it is a two mile each way walk over a freeway bridge...
    Drive and park before you hit the bit you find confusing. Or you could carpool, then you could drink.
    I'm teetotal, but thanks
    I found the laundromat, I'll find the grub....mission time!

Comment

Originally posted by gm
      I'm teetotal, but thanks
      Of course if you're heading the wrong way up a one way street you might find it hard to persuade the local police

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
        Originally posted by gm
        I'm teetotal, but thanks
        Of course if you're heading the wrong way up a one way street you might find it hard to persuade the local police
        I got pulled over by a cop for drinking (all my Navy buddies in the car were wasted). It took me 10 minutes to explain I DON'T drink - mostly cuz the guys in the car were laughing hysterically at the cop the whole time. He just kept getting madder and madder as I passed all his tests. I'm sure he could smell their booze on me. . . . it was funny at the time . . .

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          Of course, going to Eugene searching for good Mexican food is like going to Mexico City in search of grillled salmon with a local pinot noir.
          Bingo! As a long ago So Cal transplant, I've pretty much given up on ever finding great Mex in the PNW. FWIW, I love the chili verde (and little else) at Taco Loco (900 W 7th) and if I feel like a commercial L.A. fix, there's always El Torito at Valley River Center (it's the only El Torito in Oregon; rumor has it the owner of ET was dating a local on the sly and decided to open a branch up here). We had a good mom and pop on River Road (Tio Pepe), run by a couple from Van Nuys, but health problems caused the restaurant to go downhill in recent years. The carne asada burritos at Burrito Amigo (several locations around town) are decent.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
            Originally posted by malmo
            Do you really think that a real homestyle Mexican place can be found on Google?
            That's actually a disparaging comment.
            Actually not. You are not the arbiter of such things.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
              Do you really think that a real homestyle Mexican place can be found on Google?
              That's actually a disparaging comment.
              Actually not. You are not the arbiter of such things.
              But you CAN find a good mexican restaurant on Google. One example might be a link to a credible newspaper review. Others would include links to Trip Advisor or Chowhound reviews by previous patrons. Maybe just the menu might do it for you (for instance, any place that includes cochinita pibil, green corn tamales, barbacoa or a Oaxacan mole on the menu would tell me that it's an adventurous place worth a try).

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie

BTW, me thinks that what Garry refers to is the dilution factor, because Mexicans have learned the hard way that gringos can't handle to really hot stuff, so they prepare it differently in the North.
                And therein lies the problem. I simply hate it when people alter cuisines to cater to the tastes of locals. And mexican food normally isn't so hot as it is spicy. The heat comes from the application of various table sauces (most of which taste like tomato juice around here).

Comment

Went by Malmo's suggested place for lunch today, but alas it was closed. I circled the block and ended up at the Plaza Latina supermarket, where I enjoyed some very tasty fare. Will try 628 Blair again, and hope it is open!

Comment

It sounds like the Blair Which Project to me ...

Comment

Originally posted by gm
                      Went by Malmo's suggested place for lunch today, but alas it was closed. I circled the block and ended up at the Plaza Latina supermarket, where I enjoyed some very tasty fare. Will try 628 Blair again, and hope it is open!
                      Plaza Latina rocks! Very much a local's place. I hesitated to recommend it because it's hardly a fancy place, unless you count a few plastic tables attached to a supermarket as fancy. If you want to gain a few pounds, try a bag of their homemade chips and check out their homemade green and red salsas in the deli section. Their chips and salsa are what I dream about when I'm away from home for any length of time.

Comment

Im in Mexico and cant find any good Eugene food, although the Bowerman burrito with duck sause at the Hayward Hut was quite good. :P
                        phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                        X