Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NBC Olympic Downloads

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... rss_sports

I have a MAC. Anyone know if it will be compatible for downloading?

Users must have Microsoft Windows Vista to use the service, which runs on the operating system's Media Center. According to Microsoft, about 100 million people have Vista.

Sounds like a "no," bu I'm hoping.

Looks like it is a no. Odd NBC would choose a technology with so little reach. Going with Flash or even SilverLight (MS's direct competitor with Flash) they could have had much better market penetration.

Comment

Everthing says Vista. You might get lucky and see it work with XP Media Center, but I wouldn't bet on it.

Windows Media Center in Windows Vista features some great advancements over previous versions, including an improved user interface with easier navigation and breakthrough media visualization. Windows Media Center also offers built-in support for archiving TV shows directly to video DVDs, faster overall performance, and an improved platform for content owners to deliver new online entertainment services and experiences.
      http://www.microsoft.com/windows/produc ... enter.mspx

Comment

Originally posted by bhall
        Looks like it is a no. Odd NBC would choose a technology with so little reach. Going with Flash or even SilverLight (MS's direct competitor with Flash) they could have had much better market penetration.
        Maybe the answer is concealed by the "at no charge". Sounds rather unlike NBC. Perhaps Microsoft paid a sponsorship fee to push Vista?

Pat Palmer

Comment

NBC Olympic downloads

Today's update:

Comment

I am able to watch them now on my MAC. Thank goodness!

Hope it lasts through Olympics.

Comment

NBC Olympic downloads

It varies, depending on where you live; for example, in Latin America:

"It will include 13 different channels where users can choose whatever event they want to see 24 hours a day."

Comment

Funny I havent been able to watch the 400m final on the NBC Olympics website. All the other videos show up fine except this one.

Any ideas ?

Comment

"technical" the Washington Post is not. They just parroted what MS / NBC sent them without checking it out themselves.

Not sure about a Mac but my old Dell XP / laptop:
                  - Went to the NBC web stie
                  http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfield/index.html
                  - Clicked on one of the Trials video's
                  - Downloaded and installed MS Silver -'yo_mamma" (SllverLight)
                  - Ran the video just fine.

So Washington Post - Ya don't need Vista!

Sheesh...

Comment

Working...
                  X