Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What will be better, the Trials or Olympic 100?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What will be better, the Trials or Olympic 100?

I say the Trials.

Mo, Montgomery, Gatlin, Bernard Williams, J.J. Johnson, Mickey Grimes, Coby Miller, Shawn Crawford, etc.

With only 3 Americans allowed in the Games, the addition of Collins, Brown, Campbell and Aliu just doesn't make up for those who'll be missing.

What think ye?

Re: What will be better, the Trials or Olympic 100?

>I say the Trials.. . .

What think ye?<

I think you're right. And the 200 is another event where Sacto could be better than Athens.

Comment

>>I say the Trials.. . .

What think ye?<

I think you're right. And the
      >200 is another event where Sacto could be better than Athens.

100, yes. 200.... so and so. Athens local star still running.

Comment

By better you mean time-wise or suspense-wise? The Oly Final is still the Oly Final, and the international smack talk is a vital part. Sometimes it's the Brits, or the Canadians, or the Jamaicans, but you always know that the entire reputation of US sprint dominance is on the line. I immensely enjoy the Trials, but the Oly Final is the Real Deal.

Comment

If you want to talk just the final, then perhaps the OG is better, but in talking about the last day of 100 competition, with semis as well as final, then the OT wins, because the 16 guys cutting to 8 generally has a lot more drama than the OG version (which remains killer itself).

And if you're talking the whole meet, then OT wins hands down, because the first round at OG is a useless bit of silliness and most of the quarters are frequently somewhat lacking also.

Comment

>By better you mean time-wise or suspense-wise? The Oly Final is still the Oly
            >Final, and the international smack talk is a vital part. Sometimes it's the
            >Brits, or the Canadians, or the Jamaicans, but you always know that the entire
            >reputation of US sprint dominance is on the line. I immensely enjoy the Trials,
            >but the Oly Final is the Real Deal.

You beat me to it, tafnut, I was going to say the exact same thing. There's only one OG. As was written in an old T&FN Olympic issue, " There is no hush like the hush that falls over the stadium before the start of of the Olympics Men's 100 meter final."

Comment

GH must be talking of OTs from years past, when most of the OT qualifiers had made the Oly qualifying time. In the distance races now at the OTs the biggest drama is finding 3 runners who have made the A standard.

Comment

The topic of this thread is the sprints (specifically the 100m).

Comment

Even more specifically, the men's 100m.

Comment

Historically, while expecting too much from
                    many sensational 100m events through the very
                    famous US Trials, they usually ended like some
                    kinds of damp squibs (in 1992 for example).
                    That is the beauty of the Trials knowing that
                    infact, we never know where the show is going
                    to come from...
                    I bet 110m/h, 200m men and women, long-jump men
                    will be on fire... among many other events I
                    hope.

Comment

Now lets not be to vain now!!! The oly trials are very big but come on it is the olympics were talking about come on there is no comparing the two. For starters Hello it is the Olympics for goodness sakes! Contrary to what you think I would rather see the world go at it rather than some over confident Americans anytime especially every 4 years! Second hmmmm how should I put this mildly Sacremento is not actually the track capital the fans are not that knowledgeable lets just be honest. I must say there a lot better than the fans in palo alto but I understand it is about developing a fan base outside of the major track and field cities! Thirdly The stadium is a joke if you want to call it one it is all temporary seating. I'll just leave it at this I know some of you may have run in an enclosed stadium and I think you will agree there is a difference bettween the two 2 atmospheres! I'm willing to bet anything if you ask a professional athlete which they perfer I think they will agree with me!
                      P.S. And on us oly trials vs. THE OLY GAMES hmmm I dont remember but what as the name of the american on americans that made the podium???

Comment

The podium at the World Champs in paris!

Comment

For me, going to the trials is my quadrennial highlight.
                          Back to the original question: Yes, the trials
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Second hmmmm how should I put this
                            >mildly Sacremento is not actually the track capital the fans are not that
                            >knowledgeable lets just be honest. I must say there a lot better than the fans
                            >in palo alto but I understand it is about developing a fan base outside of the
                            >major track and field cities! Thirdly The stadium is a joke if you want to
                            >call it one it is all temporary seating. I'll just leave it at this I know some
                            >of you may have run in an enclosed stadium and I think you will agree there is
                            >a difference bettween the two 2 atmospheres!>>

Question for "you guys are funny": have you ever been to an OT? Or an OG?

In either place, when you're in the stadium, no matter what a pile of crap it might be, you only think of one thing and that's the action unfolding in front of you. As one who has been to many versions of both, I can tell you in all sincerity that there's more excitement (for those who are there), top to bottom, in an OT 100 (all rounds) than there is for an OG 100 (all rounds).

Comment

'And if you're talking the whole meet, then OT wins hands down, because the first round at OG is a useless bit of silliness and most of the quarters are frequently somewhat lacking also.'

Sorry, when Gh talked of the whole meet I naturally assumed he meant the whole of the trials.

Comment

Working...
                              X