3. Chris Solinsky (Nike) 4
    4. Jonathon Riley (Nike) 5
    5. Brent Vaughn (Colorado) nr
    6. Adam Goucher (Nike) 3
    7. Bobby Curtis (Villanova) nr
    8. Ian Dobson (adidas) 9
    9. Bolota Asmerom (Nike) 8
    10. Rod Koborsi (Reebok) (6)

This race shall be the clash of two big threads: "Is the Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?" vs. "No More Rabbits in Zürich".

Some guys need that "A", or they:re simply taking this meet as one for experience if they:re just trying out their racing shoes and tactical prowess. The weather may (not) play a factor in how one pursues his dream. Hopefully the finalists run an honest pace and let destiny ride its course.

Comment

m5000

Originally posted by EPelle
      This race shall be the clash of two big threads: "Is the Weather Acting Funny in Your Neighbourhood?" vs. "No More Rabbits in Zürich".

Some guys need that "A", or they:re simply taking this meet as one for experience if they:re just trying out their racing shoes and tactical prowess. The weather may (not) play a factor in how one pursues his dream. Hopefully the finalists run an honest pace and let destiny ride its course.
      Vaughn made the "A" standard @ Stanford 2 months ago, but was outkicked by 5+ seconds @ NCAA where he faded to 3rd, so he needs to set a 13:20 pace (64/lap).
      none

Comment

pulled over from another earlier thread on the Current Events board:

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 15:19 Post subject: Adam Goucher status?
        Anyone know what Adam Goucher's status is coming into the OT? For all I know and from what little we've seen of him this year he may not even be running. So, how about it Alberto....can you give us a status report?

I've always admired his guts and grit and talent....and hope he is fit enough to give it a good go at the OT's.

jkjoregon

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 16:25 Post subject:
        Well the OT 5000 heat is tomorrow, so we should find out soon.

hayward102

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 16:45 Post subject:
        In the Oregonian, Salazar said Goucher is over the back pain that was bothering him and will be racing.

"A month at altitude in Park City, training free from distraction, has prepared both Gouchers, Salazar said.

Adam recently recovered from back soreness that was limiting him, putting him back in the mix to have a chance at another Olympics.

And Kara is in better shape than she was last August, Salazar reported."

http://www.oregonlive.com/trackandfield ... ummit.html

runforfun

Posted: 26 Jun 2008 19:29 Post subject:
        Thanks for those replies...I will be watching tomorrow, and I did read the piece on the home page where Salazar said Adam had recovered from the back pain and would be competing. Just hope his training hasn't been limited so much that he will be significantly sub par.

Comment

That first heat looks much more loaded than the second heat to me.

I have a hard time seeing this team being anything other that Lagat, Teg and Solinsky but, hey, it's the Trials and there's always plenty of surprises. I also think this is the year that Pre's OT record finally gets broken, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was by more than one guy.

Comment

I'm assuming (and I could be wrong) that if Hassan Mead were to run faster than 13:37.91 (which I am not assuming), that he would be the new U.S. junior record holder at 5000 meters, breaking Galen Rupp's mark. Mead's 19th birthday, incidentally, is tomorrow, June 28th.

Comment

Re: m5000

Originally posted by gh
              5000 METERS
              1. Bernard Lagat (Nike) 1
              2. Matt Tegenkamp (Nike) 2
              3. Chris Solinsky (Nike) 4
              4. Jonathon Riley (Nike) 5
              5. Brent Vaughn (Colorado) nr
              6. Adam Goucher (Nike) 3
              7. Bobby Curtis (Villanova) nr
              8. Ian Dobson (adidas) 9
              9. Bolota Asmerom (Nike) 8
              10. Rod Koborsi (Reebok) (6)
              Old chart. #5 Goucher, #6 Vaughn, #7 Dobson, #8 Galen Rupp, #9 Curtis, #10 Asmerom.

Comment

Originally posted by Zat0pek

I have a hard time seeing this team being anything other that Lagat, Teg and Solinsky but, hey, it's the Trials and there's always plenty of surprises. I also think this is the year that Pre's OT record finally gets broken, and I wouldn't be surprised if it was by more than one guy.
                I agree with all that you say, but I have this feeling that Bobby Curtis will be third. My reasoning: I don't see anyone pushing the pace very hard and Solinsky (or whoever else is in it in the kick at the end) is vulnerable to a fast finish off a moderate to slow pace...Curtis is sharp right now and has the speed.

Comment

m5000

Originally posted by runforfun

I agree with all that you say, but I have this feeling that Bobby Curtis will be third. My reasoning: I don't see anyone pushing the pace very hard and Solinsky (or whoever else is in it in the kick at the end) is vulnerable to a fast finish off a moderate to slow pace...Curtis is sharp right now and has the speed.
                  I agree. Goucher needs to set a 13:20 pace to make the "A" standard, but Vaughn was humiliated on the last lap by Curtis, so he also needs the 13:20 pace. That is 2 pacers. Will they run or jog?
                  none

Comment

Originally posted by runforfun

Solinsky may now have more finishing speed, especially off of a medium or semi-quick pace. Look what they did with Teg's finish. If they are not confident of the finishing 400, they will run sub 3:00 for the last 1200 and maybe sub 4 for 1600. Remember, he did this in NCAA meets several years back and I do not thing that he has fallen off the wagon since. Remember also he has run some pretty good times 13:12/7:36(?)/3:36(7?). I think that he will be hardest to beat off of a modest pace for the first 5 laps because he is probably best at 3000.

Comment

the results are in boys:

Men 5000 Meter Run
                      ================================================== ==============
                      World: W 12:37.35 5/31/2004 Kenenisa Bekele, ETH
                      American: A 12:58.21 8/14/1996 Bob Kennedy, Nike
                      OT: T 13:22.8h 7/9/1972 Steve Prefontaine, Oregon
                      Hayward: S 13:07.83 1998 Luke Kipkosgei, Kenya
                      Name Year Team Prelims
                      Heat 1 Preliminaries
                      1 Matt Tegenkamp Nike 13:54.62Q
                      2 Jonathon Riley Nike 13:54.69Q
                      3 Bernard Lagat Nike 13:54.93Q
                      4 Stephen Pifer Colorado 13:55.10Q
                      5 Adam Goucher Nike 13:56.25Q
                      6 Josh Rohatinsky Nike 13:56.94Q
                      7 Thomas Morgan ZAP Fitness 13:57.28q
                      8 Matthew Gabrielson Reebok 14:00.92q
                      9 Ryan Vail unattached 14:05.26q
                      10 Brent Vaughn Nike 14:06.90q
                      11 Hassan Mead unattached 14:07.44
                      12 Andrew Carlson T USA Minn/N Bal 14:13.78
                      Heat 2 Preliminaries
                      1 Galen Rupp unattached 13:59.14Q
                      2 Chris Solinsky Nike 13:59.65Q
                      3 Robert Curtis Reebok 14:00.00Q
                      4 Bolota Asmerom Oregon TC Elite 14:00.48Q
                      5 Ian Dobson adidas 14:01.42Q
                      6 Kyle King ZAP Fitness 14:04.82Q
                      7 Ryan Bak Oregon TC Elite 14:07.42
                      8 Anthony Gallo Run Flagstaff Mz 14:12.54
                      9 James Strang Arkansas 14:12.68
                      10 Ryan Kirkpatrick Reebok 14:29.66
                      11 Rod Koborsi Reebok 14:30.41
                      -- Patrick Tarpy Reebok DNF
                      World: W 12:37.35 5/31/2004 Kenenisa Bekele, ETH
                      American: A 12:58.21 8/14/1996 Bob Kennedy, Nike
                      OT: T 13:22.8h 7/9/1972 Steve Prefontaine, Oregon
                      Hayward: S 13:07.83 1998 Luke Kipkosgei, Kenya
                      Name Year Team Prelims
                      Preliminaries
                      1 Matt Tegenkamp Nike 13:54.62Q
                      2 Galen Rupp unattached 13:59.14Q
                      3 Jonathon Riley Nike 13:54.69Q
                      4 Chris Solinsky Nike 13:59.65Q
                      5 Bernard Lagat Nike 13:54.93Q
                      6 Robert Curtis Reebok 14:00.00Q
                      7 Stephen Pifer Colorado 13:55.10Q
                      8 Bolota Asmerom Oregon TC Elite 14:00.48Q
                      9 Adam Goucher Nike 13:56.25Q
                      10 Ian Dobson adidas 14:01.42Q
                      11 Josh Rohatinsky Nike 13:56.94Q
                      12 Kyle King ZAP Fitness 14:04.82Q
                      13 Thomas Morgan ZAP Fitness 13:57.28q
                      14 Matthew Gabrielson Reebok 14:00.92q
                      15 Ryan Vail unattached 14:05.26q
                      16 Brent Vaughn Nike 14:06.90q
                      17 Ryan Bak Oregon TC Elite 14:07.42
                      18 Hassan Mead unattached 14:07.44
                      19 Anthony Gallo Run Flagstaff Mz 14:12.54
                      20 James Strang Arkansas 14:12.68
                      21 Andrew Carlson T USA Minn/N Bal 14:13.78
                      22 Ryan Kirkpatrick Reebok 14:29.66
                      23 Rod Koborsi Reebok 14:30.41
                      -- Patrick Tarpy Reebok DNF

I'm surprised Rupp won his heat, not that I imagine Solinsky was fighting him tooth and nail for it obviously. Bobby Curtis was up there too. Can't wait to see what happens in the final.

Comment

Originally posted by irun
                        t

I'm surprised Rupp won his heat, not that I imagine Solinsky was fighting him tooth and nail for it obviously. Bobby Curtis was up there too. Can't wait to see what happens in the final.

The top 5 came around the final bend more or less shoulder to shoulder, and in the final 40-50m Rupp sprinted ahead on the outside while gesturing to the crowd.

Comment

I:m surprised heat two runners didn:t attack the pace more the final 1.000m in an effort to stay relative abreast of the previous heat, which knocked only two out. Vaughn, if it isn:t his health which is in question, played a very dangerous game in the first heat.

Comment

Yep, Rupp sprinted in while the other 4 eased in, assured of advancing. That was perhaps Rupp's "final" (he'll likely opt for the 10,000 and will skip the 5000 final on Monday) and he got his "win" in front of the home crowd.

Comment

Event quotes:
                              http://www.usatf.org/events/2008/Olympi ... es/P11.asp

Galen Rupp, 1st in Heat 2

"Coming in, the best thing was to work out the kinks and feel the atmosphere. That's what it's all about. It was a great dress rehearsal today, and I'm going to get ready for the final."

"My focus is on the 10k, but we will see how things go."

"The people here are so great. I can't thank them enough for their support."

"There has been some speculation about me, and my health, but obviously if I wasn't feeling well, I would have backed off and took top six."

"Sunday is the day I will have to make a decision."

"I have been looking forward to this for a while. Being from here, it's awesome to be able to run here. The last month was ten times more mental than it was physical."

Comment

Working...
                              X