5. Walter Davis (Nike) 7
    6. Reindell Cole (Cal State Northridge) nr
    7. Tony Allmond (SC Cheetahs) 9
    8. JaRod Tobler (unattached) nr
    9. Matt Turner (Arizona State) nr
    10. Joseph Allen (Shore AC) 10

start lists

Event 27 Men Long Jump
    ================================================== =============================
    Top 12 Advance by Mark
    Friday 6/27/2008 - 7:30 PM
    Auto Qualifier: 8.00
    World: 8.95m 8/30/1991 Mike Powell, USA
    American: 8.95m 8/30/1991 Mike Powell, Foot Locker AC
    OT: 8.76m 7/18/1988 Carl Lewis, Santa Monica TC
    Name Year Team
    ================================================== =============================
    Flight 1 Prelims
    1 1023 Dwight Phillips Nike, Snellville
    2 120 Joe Allen Nike, Cranbury,
    3 177 Tone Belt Louisville, Loui
    4 1058 Trevell Quinley Nike, Chula Vist
    5 1186 Jeremy Singleton unattached, Step
    6 325 Reindell Cole Cal-Northridge,
    7 466 Randall Flimmons unattached, Atla
    8 698 Brian Johnson unattached, Bato
    9 479 Norris Frederick Washington, Seat
    10 122 Tony Allmond Cheetahs Intl.,
    11 1368 Elvie Williams unattached, Span
    12 169 O'Darien Bassett Troy, Carrollton
    Flight 2 Prelims
    1 1062 Bashir Ramzy unattached, Chul
    2 1294 Matthew Turner unattached, Temp
    3 1331 Leonidas Watson Team XO, Oceansi
    4 1281 JaRod Tobler unattached, Char
    5 1184 Allen Simms unattached, Char
    6 399 Kevin Dilworth unattached, Gran
    7 937 Mikese Morse South Florida, T
    8 579 Tyrone Harris Shore A C, Talla
    9 935 Mike Morrison unattached, Mari
    10 1005 Miguel Pate Nike, St. Franci
    11 372 Walter Davis Nike, Baton Roug
    12 106 Dexter Adams N. Carolina St.,

Comment

Walter Davis had three fouls.

Looked as if he wasn't particularly trying to get in a good fair jump, just wanted to get on the runway.

Comment

Is there really a club called Cheetahs International? :lol:

Comment

What happened to John Moffitt ?

Comment

Originally posted by dakota
            you have NO idea how many times through the years that I and the rest of my announcing brethren have blurted out Cheaters. (i hasten to add just because of the word itself, not because of anybody representing the cclub.

I have taken to crossing it out on the sheets, and hand-writing CHEE-TUZ to keep my tongue from finding an R in there anywhere

Comment

Event 27 Men Long Jump
              Sunday 6/29/2008 - 3:30 PM
              Auto Qualifier: 8.00
              World: 8.95m 8/30/1991 Mike Powell, USA
              American: 8.95m 8/30/1991 Mike Powell, Foot Locker AC
              OT: 8.76m 7/18/1988 Carl Lewis, Santa Monica TC
              Hayward: 8.49m M Powell 93, Saladino Pan 07
              Name Year Team
              Flight 1 Finals
              1 1294 Matthew Turner unattached 8.09m
              2 169 O'Darien Bassett Troy 7.89m
              3 1023 Dwight Phillips Nike 7.93m
              4 1281 JaRod Tobler unattached 8.16m
              5 1005 Miguel Pate Nike 8.24m
              6 935 Mike Morrison unattached 7.82m
              7 325 Reindell Cole Cal-Northridge 7.84m
              8 1058 Trevell Quinley Nike 8.00m
              9 698 Brian Johnson unattached 8.09m
              10 466 Randall Flimmons unattached 7.94m
              11 937 Mikese Morse South Florida 7.79m
              12 120 Joe Allen Nike 7.99m
              13 1062 Bashir Ramzy unattached 7.74m

gm (or anybody)--any idea why Ramzy got in as 13th man?

Comment

Fun comp to watch, with Quinley getting the win on a last-round PR jump. Phillips just didn't have enough to make the team.

Comment

Tough to see Phillips not make it. The 2nd Athens gold medalist of the day (along with Mack) to not make it to Beijing.
                  "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Way more drama than you can imagine: Quinley actually equalled his PR to move into 3rd in the fifth round, and in the process got the A he needed to go to Beijing. But wait! The mark was wind-aided, so even though he was in 3rd, Phillips in 4th was still on the team at that point.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                      But wait! The mark was wind-aided, so even though he was in 3rd, Phillips in 4th was still on the team at that point.
                      How many were aware of that at the time? It would have made great television if they knew about it. I assume they didn't. More likely came out with a comment that Phillips is on the team as it is "impossible for Quinley to jump a legal A today". Nice way to kill the drama.

The hypothetical scenario above is based on Eyestone's comments in the womens 10K

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Originally posted by dakota
                        you have NO idea how many times through the years that I and the rest of my announcing brethren have blurted out Cheaters. (i hasten to add just because of the word itself, not because of anybody representing the cclub.

I have taken to crossing it out on the sheets, and hand-writing CHEE-TUZ to keep my tongue from finding an R in there anywhere
                        Funny. There was a time when "Cheetahs" could be uttered without irony or sarcasm. On second thought, it's not so funny.

Comment

Originally posted by Daisy
                          Originally posted by gh
                          But wait! The mark was wind-aided, so even though he was in 3rd, Phillips in 4th was still on the team at that point.
                          How many were aware of that at the time? It would have made great television if they knew about it. I assume they didn't. More likely came out with a comment that Phillips is on the team as it is "impossible for Quinley to jump a legal A today". Nice way to kill the drama.

The hypothetical scenario above is based on Eyestone's comments in the womens 10K
                          Unfortunately, even we in the booth were unaware of it. There is no visible readout of the wind gauge for the jumps and some overly officious sort on the infield kept shooing our spotter away, so getting wind info was spotty. At the time, we didn't know it was illegal.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by gh

Unfortunately, even we in the booth were unaware of it. There is no visible readout of the wind gauge for the jumps and some overly officious sort on the infield kept shooing our spotter away, so getting wind info was spotty. At the time, we didn't know it was illegal.
                            This alone is a good reason for a pseudo-live broadcast. Not to mention no false starts.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                              Originally posted by gh

This alone is a good reason for a pseudo-live broadcast. Not to mention no false starts.

Comment

Working...
                              X