U.S. 800 runners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U.S. 800 runners

How do the U.S. 800 runners stack up against the rest of the world?

New kids on th block this year/ Marc Sylvester UT and James Hatch Arkansas. Just a gut feeling.

Re: U.S. 800 runners

>How do the U.S. 800 runners stack up against the rest of the world?<

Well, let's see. Lawt year, we had nobody in the top 10 on the world list and only one in the top 20.

Next question.

Comment

The IAAF ranked Krummenacker 10th in the world.
      Lets not forget he is the reigning world indoor champion in the 800.

Alas, poor Krummenacker, he is expected to carry both US 1500 and 800 meter running. That is what you get when you have just one elite runner.

Is it possible for Krummenacker to double in both the 800 and 1500. Remember, he has the "A" standard for both events.

Comment

Hoping for US success in 800 & 1500 (make that 800-on-up)in an Olympic year, you get an idea of what it is to be a RedSox or Cubs fan. But it's what makes being a fan worthwhile. What's more likely?(and they're all very possible): Sox or Cubs in WS, or American in 800 or 1500 final at Athens?

Comment

Come on give Krummenacker some credit. He should make the finals in the 800meters.

"Krummenacker is the one American that scares me"

- Ranked Kenyan 800meter runner 2002. Laget(?) Does anyone else remember this quote.

Heck, since US milers are falling flat it will be all the more exciting when they suddenly start winning. Can you imagine if someone like Jason Lunn comes out of no where and posts a 3:50 mile at prefontaine. Even a 3:52 miles would generate excitement in the US miling community. Since expectation have been lowered any US mile time under 3:54 will get attention.
          In Kenya a 3:54 mile is as common place as a 4:00 mile is in the states.
          Still there are some talented US milers and 800 meter runners. Some of this talent is bound to develop.
          Remember, the Redsox cannot lose the world series forever.

Comment

I agree - Krum should make the final. But 1500 more likely than 800. In either, it's all about the finishing kick. Hope he'll have it, like at World Indoor.

Comment

There is little chance Krummenacker is going to run the 1500. He has stated plainly he will run only the 800 at the Olympics. After the Olympics he will probably give the 1500 another try. Maybe he will stay to shoot for a sub 3:50 mile. He has proven in the past that he has the necessary speed to accomplish this.

It is kind of sad that Krummenacker is the only ranked US distance runner.

Comment

I'd love to see Webb seriously train for and race this event. He has the talent to run well under 1:44, and winning Oly Gold is a far more realistic prospect for him in the 800 than the 15...

Comment

I respectfully disagree. Webb has a far better future at 5,000m than 800m.

Comment

I have to agree with 5k Guy.

Webb may be a good athlete but if you consider the competition, he has no chance to winning the 800m OG final, let alone making the final.

Remember who makes up this tough and very DEEP event: Bungei, Mulaudzi, Borzakovski, Guerni, Sepeng, Bram Som, Longo, Kipketer, Bucher, Mutua, Krummenacker, Kimutai, J. Koech, etc. etc.

Now adays all the events are tough. Even if he moves up to 5k I don't seem him being a huge threat as that has become a stacked field as well. 5k athletes used to think they could move then to the 10k but now with Bekele, Shiine and Nicholas Kemboi & Co. that's no longer an option as well.

Comment

Lets stop talking about Webb until he runs at least a 3:55 mile as a professional. Right now he is a 3:58 miler; making him just an average professional.

Right now in the immediate future Krummenacker, Torres, Meb, and Robison are the elites among the American runners. Torres made the finals in Paris, which surprised a few.

Comment

I'd love to see Webb seriously train for and race this event.

That just what I was thinking, earlier today.

Comment

Webb may be a good athlete but if you consider the competition, he has no chance to winning the 800m OG final, let alone making the final.

At this point in his career, the 800 may give Webb the best chance to make the Olympics and learn from it. Then again, why compte if winning isnt the ultimate goal.

Comment

Then again, why compte if winning isnt the
                            >ultimate goal.
                            If that were true, then I assume you would have over 99% of every field come to the starting line, assess their chance of winning, and walk away. I think competing encompasses much more than just trying to win. And in races of 800 or more, you may perform better if you run your best rather than foolishly try to win. Now training to win may be another matter for some people, but again not everyone.

Comment

Do NOT ever forget DAVE WOTTLE !

Comment

Working...
                              X