3. Amy Yoder-Begley (Nike) nr
    4. Molly Huddle (Saucony) 9
    5. Blake Russell (Reebok) nr
    6. Lisa Koll (Iowa State) nr
    7. Katie McGregor (Reebok) 4
    8. Amy Hastings (adidas) 8
    9. Magdalena Lewy Boulet (unattached) nr
    10. Sharon Thompson (unattached) nr

With the 1-2 combination in Flanagan and Goucher, this has the makings of becoming a sit-and-kick session for these two, but not a fast race for the field; both are returning for the 5.000m later in the meet. I don:t believe any other athlete in the race has the strength/speed element needed to fartlek and sprint with these two, so the top two will break away and use it as a tune-up session for their real showdown at 5.000m. Kastor picked up the pace following 1.200m four years ago, and won by nearly 49 seconds.

Comment

"I have my moments when I get overwhelmed and think, what happens if I blow up at Trials and don't make the team," Goucher said.

"This could all be over. A lot depends on how I do at the Trials and the Olympics, and the reality is that if I don't run fast people aren't really going to care what I'm endorsing. My whole thing has always been that if I don't run well and perform well, nobody's going to care. I don't want to have my face out there everywhere and be a horrible runner."
      Good story with video and early fotos of Goucher:s childhood.
      http://www.nbcolympics.com/trackandfiel ... 42335.html

Comment

start list:

Event 14 Women 10000 Meter Run
        ================================================== =============================
        Friday 6/27/2008 - 9:20 PM
        World: 29:31.78 9/8/1993 Junxia Wang, CHN
        American: 30:34.49 5/4/2008 Shalane Flanagan, Nike
        OT: 31:09.65 7/16/2004 Deena Kastor, Asics
        Name Year Team
        ================================================== =============================
        Section 1 Timed Finals
        1 1129 Amy Rudolph adidas, Providen
        2 508 Heather Gibson Asics Aggie, Pie
        3 463 Shalane Flanagan Nike, Pittsboro,
        4 1188 Sara Slattery adidas, Lafayett
        5 512 Alex Gits Stanford, Edina,
        6 1135 Blake Russell Reebok, Pacific
        7 334 Melissa Cook New Balance, Flo
        8 754 Lisa Koll Iowa State, Ames
        9 175 Amy Begley Nike, Beaverton,
        10 591 Amy Hastings adidas, Flagstaf
        11 1273 Sharon Thompson unattached, Swar
        12 1223 Jill Steffens New Balance, Ath
        13 960 Katherine Newberry New York A C, Wi
        14 1350 Melissa White Hansons-Brooks,
        15 367 Desiree Davila Hansons-Brooks,
        16 525 Allison Grace ZAP Fitness, Blo
        17 261 Serena Burla RIADHA, New York
        18 872 Katie McGregor Reebok, Saint Lo
        19 800 Magdalena Lewy Boulet Saucony, Oakland
        20 524 Kara Goucher Nike, Portland,
        21 650 Molly Huddle Saucony, Elmira,
        22 1122 Stephanie Rothstein unattached, Euge
        23 416 Elva Dryer Nike, Gunnison,
        24 1235 Tara Storage Run Ohio - S S R

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
          With the 1-2 combination in Flanagan and Goucher, this has the makings of becoming a sit-and-kick session for these two, but not a fast race for the field; both are returning for the 5.000m later in the meet. I don:t believe any other athlete in the race has the strength/speed element needed to fartlek and sprint with these two, so the top two will break away and use it as a tune-up session for their real showdown at 5.000m. Kastor picked up the pace following 1.200m four years ago, and won by nearly 49 seconds.
          On the other hand, with Russell, McGregor and a few others it might still be A-standard fast.

And just because Flanagan and Goucher are entered/declared in the 5000 doesn't mean either or both might not change her mind and scratch the 5 after making the 10 team.

Comment

In that heat, that is a possibility - one which I haven:t discounted. Will the icing on their cake melt if they attempt two more races after their 10.000m runs?

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
              In that heat, that is a possibility - one which I haven:t discounted. Will the icing on their cake melt if they attempt two more races after their 10.000m runs?
              I wouldn't worry too much about the heat, at least if you're referring to the 10,000. That's being run tonight at 9:20, about four hours after the high temperature will have hit. By the time they run the race, it could well be in the 60s.

The heats for the 5000 will be run on Monday at 8:50, the final on Friday at 8:55, so again, not much to worry about in terms of heat at the time of these races.

Comment

Locals say the temp is mid-70s as the race starts. First laps in 82.5, 84.5, 1K 3:24.

Comment

2K, Lewy 6:35.6, Begley, Dryer, Goucher, Flanagan, Koll

Comment

DJ, DON"T STOP! I can't get coverage anywhere else, thank you so so much! No USA on my TV and there's no live stream! AAHHH

Comment

3K, Lead single-file chain is 17 people
                      Lewy 9:47.2, Begley, Flanagan, Goucher,

Comment

Where's McGregor in there? How does Koll look?

Comment

4K, 13:09.0 Flanagan, Lewy

Flanagan steps it up around the turn and stretches things on the back stretch, on second turn there are 5 separating from the field: Flanagan, Goucher, Begley, Koll, McGregor.

Flanagan ran the lap in 71.2.

Comment

Next lap 73.7

5K 16:10.64, Flanagan, Goucher, Begley, Kool, McGregor, Slattery

Two groups of 3, with 30m separating the two groups.

Comment

Flan, Gouch, Beg gradually pulling away from McGreg, Koll, Slat, who are about 25 m ahead of Blake Russell and Rudolph.

Comment

Working...
                              X