Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two water staions in the 5000?

With six attendants trying to shove cups of water at the competitors on each lap?

Who came up with this idea? Does anyone realize that the Olympic Trials is not a charity 5k?

Re: Two water staions in the 5000?

Originally posted by malmo
    With six attendants trying to shove cups of water at the competitors on each lap?

Who came up with this idea? Does anyone realize that the Olympic Trials is not a charity 5k?
    Hey Malmo, did any of the athletes take any? Is that even allowed in a track race (I've never seen/heard of that in a track race............but I'm a pretty ignorant human, so....)?

Comment

I can't recall which meet, but I know I've seen sponges (maybe water cups, too) offered -- seems it was in a 10,000, and iirc there was one aid station, on the backstretch.

Comment

Originally posted by steve
        ...Is that even allowed in a track race (I've never seen/heard of that in a track race............but I'm a pretty ignorant human, so....)?
        I:ve run a major race on American soil in +40C temps. The meet organisers decided to run a water hose across lanes one through eight and poke holes in it. It was a distraction running four times through it at the 200m marker (attempting to not trip on the hose), but it was a relief to run through the water. No competitors complained.

Comment

malmo wrote, ""With six attendants trying to shove cups of water at the competitors on each lap?

And those attendants had feet in lane 2, channeling the field of runners into a narrow path resembling the finish chute of a cross country race, and getting the attendants a few seconds of TV exposure.

If such water dispensing is permissible during an on-track race, attendants ought to move further back from the inside lanes; if any runners seek a cup, they could glide out a bit to receive it.

"Does anyone realize that the Olympic Trials is not a charity 5k?"

Water cups at those charity races create a secondary hazard as most recipients seem to drop them, half-full, on the running surface where other runners can step on them and subsequently fall. I've seen such a fall lead to hospitalization.

Comment

Hengelo had tables with H2O cups on the backstretch for the 5 and 10,000s.
            Bekele had a slightly surprised look when someone attempted to hand him a cup on the last lap.

Comment

No one took water in the 5K but several women took water in the 10K...many of them took it several times.

Was definitely weird to see it in the 5K...guys were moving so fast it would be comical to see it if any of them had tried.
              "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
                No one took water in the 5K but several women took water in the 10K...many of them took it several times.

Was definitely weird to see it in the 5K...guys were moving so fast it would be comical to see it if any of them had tried.
                The only "successful" water sips I saw were when the cup holder actually attempted to run alongside the thirsty runner. Lewy Boulet dropped her first attempt but on the second one the guy holding the water starting running when she approached and they were able to make a successful hand-off.

Comment

Would someone with science background comment on the fluid-absorption-need or something over this distance? Am I off-base in thinking it's too short a distance/time to be significant? Maybe 10k or longer, but 5k? By the time you get thirsty it's too late.

I remember being ticked off at well-meaning neighborhood rustics turning front-yard hoses on some of us in long races on hot days--not the water or cooling, just the lack of choice, and disruption for some of us who were on death marches and gonna topple just from the force of the streams and violently different temp's. Better to die at the finish with support services around.

Comment

Begley took a swig in the 10.000m.
                    http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/galler ... _USAOlyT08

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
                      Why are the cups so tall, and not paper so that a runner can easily crush in his/her hand and fling to the side?

10k, I can understand on a muggy day. 5k is too fast of a race. Doubt anyone took any in the 5k.

Comment

Originally posted by jrun
                        Originally posted by EPelle
                        5k is too fast of a race. Doubt anyone took any in the 5k.
                        Even more comical to see they had it again last night in the 5K's where it was much cooler than it had been on Friday night.
                        "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

I laughed at this same deal last year here in Indy at the Nats, at the end of the back straight. NOT ONE PERSON took any in the 5 K.. do not recall what transpired in the 10k.. Those guys and gals are haulin a*s, no time for any drinky-poo.

Comment

Didn't the rules of T&F once preclude water stations in races of 10K or less on the track? Maybe I'm misremembering.

Comment

I can't imagine that taking fluids during a 5K or 10K would enhance one's performance. Not that one couldn't be volume-depleted by the end of a 10K, it's just there would be such a limited time for any absorption to occur. Nor wouls a few ounces of a cool liquid do much to lower an elevated core temperature. Silly.

Comment

Working...
                              X