Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Edwin Moses comeback

I for one hope he achieves his goal. Might even motivate me to go back to the gym and stop the middle age spread which I see in the mirror each morning!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.j ... tid=142326

Re: Edwin Moses comeback

Realistically, a 200m in 25.25 at 48 years of age is pretty good. To do it twice in succession and over the hurdles nonetheless....I'll cheer for him, but doubt it very much.
    "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
    by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Excellent math, Pego, hadn't thought of it in those terms.

An additional problem he might well be facing is in really having to learn about stride patterns all over again. In other words, in addition to being predictably slower, he'll also be likely to find that his stride length is shorter so he'll have to work hard to find a brand-new rhythm that accomodates both of these factors.

Will be great for the sport if he can pull it off, but I'm afraid I too am among the doubters.

Comment

No way on God's green earth does Moses qualify. I would actually be highly surprised if he even cracks 54 seconds or so for 400 hurdles.

He was a great champion in his day, but his day is long past. He belongs in masters competitions.

Comment

I'll save judgement until after his first race, except to say that he's not the type to make brash statements.

When was the last time he ran as slow as 50.50? Heats included. Was it '76?

Comment

He has been out of competition for 15 years. He is also 48 years old.

It's great that he's stayed in pretty good shape. But there is a big difference between being in pretty good shape and being able to compete with world class athletes.

The fact that he did not run slower than 50.50 after 1976 (or whenever it was) is meaningless and has no bearing on whether he could run 50.50 today.

Comment

I didn't say it had any meaning. I'm just asking.

Comment

To run 50-point over the sticks means that you probably have AT LEAST 47-point flat 400 speed. WR for guys 45-49 is 50.20 ( Fred Sowerby ).

Comment

Moses will probably make the trial standard. In short he will be invited to the Olympic trials. Making the team will be a long shot to say the least. He is probably the greatest US track and field athlete ever. Anything is possible when Moses is concerned. He has defied the odds before, and getting invited to the trials won't be a big deal. However, he may have a hard time getting past the first round.

HE WILL BE AT THE TRIALS.

Comment

<HE WILL BE AT THE TRIALS.>

yeah, sitting right next to me in the stands.

I really thought the folks on the forum had a grasp of what it takes to excel in this sport. Yet most of you actually believe that Moses can perform a miracle (pun intended) and make an olympic final. A 50 second 400IH split is no jog around the track. I'll make a bet right now that he doesn't break 53.00. Any takers?

Comment

Comment

Thanks to Rob for the props. Let's be clear; there is no diminishing what Moses did during his competitive heyday. But the contention that Moses will easily make the Oly trials at 48 years old and after 15 years away from the sport is ludicrous.

Comment

Look, all ex-athletes believe in our heart of hearts that we have "one more race" in us. Especially sprinters.

All we have to do is go for a few runs in the park, do some straightaways and we're good to go.

EM may have a more realistic training model, but the thinking that is driving this effort is, well, optimistic.

Other former elite athletes who now run masters ( Bill Rodgers, Sunder Nix, Willie Gault ) have learned that regaining their form is much easier said than done.

Comment

If ANYONE could pull this off, it's Edwin, not just because of his surfeit of talent, but as you remember, he was the ultimate student of the event, breaking everything down into its component parts. The mind is willing, but the flesh . . ., sadly I must add my name to the lengthening list of doubters. It was right around 48 that I discovered that I could no longer 3 step the 110 hurdles, even at 39". His turnover will remain the same, but even a age-induced 15-stride pattern may have to drop to 16 on the last three hurdles. Then the leg strength will betray him. Age is a treacherous foe.

Comment

Tafnut...Very well said! We all love and admire Edwin Moses...but we are also realistic.

Comment

Working...
                              X