• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Edwin Moses comeback

His legacy! like Jordan!

Comment

>His legacy! like Jordan!

I just love when things are written in secret code. What the hell does that mean?

Jordan made a comeback - competed well but not at his past level. Had fun and contributed to the team. His place in basketball history is untarnished by this effort. I feel his comeback showed the spirit of the competitor and the love of the game. His inability to perform as a superstar didn't keep him from playing and enjoying himself.

Moses isn't attempting to run 47. He knows that's not possible. He has evaluated his current ability and set a lofty goal which he may or may not accomplish, but will have fun in the attempt. The joy is in the journey, whether or not you reach your destination. Like Jordan - yes.

Comment

At age 47 I don't give Edwin any chance of running that kind of time. I am really surprised he feels that he can, given his apparently analytical nature. You know age is a horrific equalizer when runners of my ability finish next to Bill Rogers (an elite athlete who has remained in competitive trim low these many years).

Comment

Nothing Edwin does (or fails to do) now will ever diminish the thrill of watch him and Mike Shine kick butt in Montreal. But I get tired of watching my heroes overstay their welcome on the public stage:
          • watching a helpless, over the hill Ali getting pummeled by Larry Holmes
          • Joe Namath getting traded to Kansas City
          • Carl Lewis finishing "butt-naked last" in the Trials
          • an aging Sugar Ray Leonard getting knocked out

Comment

How about:

Willie Mays stumbling around the outfield for the Mets; Johnny Unitas' forgettable final year with the Chargers; Emmitt Smith's current travails in Arizona; Evander Holyfield's stubborn insistence that he is still capable of winning the heavyweight title; Franco Harris' horrendous half-season with the Seahawks.

Comment

>At age 47 I don't give Edwin any chance of running that kind of time. I am
              >really surprised he feels that he can, given his apparently analytical nature.
              >You know age is a horrific equalizer when runners of my ability finish next to
              >Bill Rogers (an elite athlete who has remained in competitive trim low these
              >many years).
              I give you, Giuseppe, no chance of running that kind of time. But, Edwin is not you. Any individual's experience with aging cannot be used as an good model of aging for another individual. For that matter, grouped experiences and statistics on the effects of aging cannot be applied to any specific individual. So, all we are left with is that which Edwin tells us about himself, or shows us through his performances. As you mentioned he is analytical, and I doubt he would enter into something like this lightly.

While it is a great challenge and a seemingly impossible task, that is what makes it worth doing. Anyone can aspire to run mediocre times (I know, because I do). It only makes sense that a great athlete like Moses would aspire to something seemingly beyond his, or any other 48 yr old's, grasp.

T&FN should have Edwin write periodic journal entries regarding his training and how it's going (kind of like they did with Krummenaker and Jennings last year). It would be interesting to see what he is doing for his workouts and how he is progressing.

Comment

"T&FN should have Edwin write periodic journal entries regarding his training and how it's going (kind of like they did with Krummenaker and Jennings last year). It would be interesting to see what he is doing for his workouts and how he is progressing."

Excellent idea!! Even if he did not achieve his destination, the journey would be extremely enlightening and instructive to the rest of us. Do it!

Comment

>Nothing Edwin does (or fails to do) now will ever diminish the thrill of watch
                  >him and Mike Shine kick butt in Montreal. But I get tired of watching my
                  >heroes overstay their welcome on the public stage:

I'm sorry to hear that your heroes let you down. But what the hell should they care what you or anyone else thinks. Its their life. They compete for themselves not for the fans. If Armstrong loses the tour this year will that make him a failure?

I'm kind of tired of fans living vicariously through the lives of their heroes. I think it is a tribute to the sport and the athlete when the athlete wants to participate beyond their prime - for the joy of sport and competition.

Comment

>>I'm kind of tired of fans living vicariously through the lives of
                    >their heroes. I think it is a tribute to the sport and the athlete when the
                    >athlete wants to participate beyond their prime - for the joy of sport and
                    >competition.>>

Shouldn't you be reading Runners' World?

Comment

edwin moses is a past master of 400hurdles, he will surley go under 50.30,dont you know khoji murofushi threw the hammer 60+ mts when he was above 60years and aloretor

Comment

>>>I'm kind of tired of fans living vicariously through the lives of
                        >their
                        >heroes. I think it is a tribute to the sport and the athlete when the
                        >athlete
                        >wants to participate beyond their prime - for the joy of sport
                        >and
                        >competition.>>

>Shouldn't you be reading Runners' World?

I say screw "realist"...the spirit of this sport lives in the souls of those who love the sport, not just those who are good at it. Realist is no real fan of this sport...maybe he would be, if he got off his ass and contributed to the sport that the rest of us love.

Comment

Shouldn't you be reading Runners' World?

Realist-

Are you comparing Moses' attempt to the thousands of fun-runners who are out pounding the pavement on the weekend before reading their copy of RW?

If so, you are partially correct. Sport is about competing at the highest level possible for the thrill of competion and testing the body's limits. For some this is running 17 minutes at a local 5k. For others its running 44 400 at the OG. Yet others want to see what they can do for a marathon at 60 years old. For EM its doing what he was the best at the world at - running 400h.

He currently is not the best in the world at the event. He won't ever be the best in the world again. However, if he wants to attempt to see what he can do again why should anybody criticize him for his endeavor? It doesn't lessen what he has already accomplished nor does it harm the sport in anyway - if anything it helps the sport.

If we all stop as soon as we reach our physical peaks we will be writing off about 3/5 of our lives. Also, if those of us that don't have world class ability (regardless of age) think like you do, the sport would be limited to a very select few. Would you discourage a 25 year old with a 56 second PR from attempting to qualify? If not, why would you discourage EM? If nothing else this attempt will show that life doesn't have to stop at 32.

Comment

living in the past

Like George Foreman, EM is still chasing dreams of past glory. No one is begrudging is efforts and how he spends his spare time is his business. But this might well be the second most embarassing thing he's ever done.

Comment

Re: living in the past

>Like George Foreman, EM is still chasing dreams of past glory. No one is
                              >begrudging is efforts and how he spends his spare time is his business. But
                              >this might well be the second most embarassing thing he's ever done.

Would you think it would be embarassing if Steve Scott decided to run some 5ks, found he was still doing pretty well and thought he would give a shot at making the OTQ?

I just don't understand why this is "embarassing"? and, who are you to be embarassed for someone else, or to say he should be embarassed when he's not? Live your own life and let him live his.

And, yes, by your comments you are begrudging his efforts and passing judgement of how he spends his time.

Comment

Re: living in the past

C'mon Platinum, that's kinda harsh (I think we all know what he's referring to).

In any case, Edwin Moses can only win with this attempt. He's 48yr old and it's 50.5. If he comes anywhere close to this time, he is a hero. If he falls short, he need only be humble and we all get to feel good about a great athlete accepting his age but embrassing his love for his sport. Track and field is not like boxing...you don't take a beating for dreams of personal glory. In fact, that's what makes this sport so wonderful -- everyone, regardless, of their capabilities gets to compete. Some race to victory, others just cross the line. There's nothing embarrassing about it.

I will however tell you what is embarrassing ...the antics of the US 4x100m relay team in 2000. Now that's embarrassing!

Comment

Working...
                                X