Re: Oh, PLEASE

I now pronouce this topic dead.

Comment

Comment

Re: Put the past in the past

Comment

Thanks, but I humbly think that both are precise and well-balanced. %-)

Comment

Go check out the new Moses thread on the druggie board. This post sums up what he is all about, which is ego

<<"But Moses reckons there is a lot less passion in the sport these days, and he admitted to Don Riddell of CNN's World Sport that the growth of drugs use has come as no great surprise."

'"But when I was responsible for running the drug operations in the United States for Track and Field and the Olympic committee we knew this was going to happen.

"So 12 years after I resigned from doing that job the reality is really setting in. But for those of us who were intimate with drug testing, it's no big surprise.'

What the hell is Moses talking about? Does he live on the same planet the rest of us do? "Growth of drug use"!!!???!!!??? compared to the '70s and '80s. He's full of sh!t. 100% full of it>>

Comment

Moses won't make it, and it's a pity
              >he feels the need to try. He should savour his past achievements and if he
              >wants to 'find out about himself' then he should try something different... It will be a sad sight to see him trailing
              >around behind some yound and up-coming wannabes, who weren't even born when he
              >won his first race (or maybe even his last race, for some of them). T&F IS
              >elitist - by its very nature: It is not a social sport.

Rob-

As mentioned above I also don't think he will make it but admire the attempt. If he comes anywhere close it will be a tremendous accomplishment. Why will it be "sad" for you to see him run slower? Chances are pretty good that even at this advanced age EM will be able to run faster than most collegiate conference champions.

Its not important that it makes you sad whose life is it? Why do you feel a need to live in HIS past glory while he feels a need to see what he can do TODAY? Why should he move to something different? This is what he knows better than anyone else in the world.

"Track is by nature elitist"? Just because it is an individual sport doesn't make it elitist. Polo is elitist, golf is elitist, track is not. It has the highest participation rate of any sport on the high school level in this country.

Comment

Comment

Rob -

Obviously "bizarre" is in the eye of the beholder.

It makes you sad because he used to be faster? I think its sad when people decide to throw in the towel at 30 because they are "too old"?

>I don't feel a need to live in his (or anyone else's) past
                  >glory. One can only live in one's own past glory, should one choose
                  >to.

Again, if you aren't living in his past why does his participation make you sad? Why sould you even care?

Track is a competitive sport requiring the highest level of physical
                  >performance in order to succeed. Success is measured in 1/100ths of a second,
                  >and success is all important (that's the only reason we have a drugs problem in
                  >the sport).

So the only way that one is successful is if he attains the highest (elite) level in the sport? All the particpants running 50+ for 300 hurdles in hs are unsuccessful? Kids who come in 5th in a league duel but set a big PR are not successful? Come one! This is the core of your confusion. What was success for EM 20+ years ago isn't the same as what success would be today. Success is an indivdual thing in this individual sport that's what makes it a great sport for the masses not just for the elite!

>of the word 'elitist': In my view, one has to be elite to succeed;

No, your view is wrong. One doesn't need to be elite to be successful in track. One only need to perform at their highest level. PRS, age prs, optimal effort = success.

Comment

Comment

Rob-

I agree to disagree. I do want to clarify my perspective - the most important thing about sport is not to simply participate but to realize one's potential through sincere effort, whether this ultimately results in an athlete becoming a world champion an elite level athlete or hacker is not as important as the effort.

Very few of us are gifted enough to become world or olympic champs - this is to a great extent genetically predetermined and is out of our control but we all have the ability to realize our ultimate potential through serious effort. The purity of T&F make it the ideal sport for this self-realization.

Comment

It just doesn't make sense to say that Moses' proposed comeback will tarnish or dimish his past achievements. Nonsense. His activities this year at nearly 50 will have precisely nothing to do with his glory years from 1976 on. He very clearly and obviously IS NOT the same athlete as then and so what he does or does not do in 2004 will have exactly zero relevance to his historical stature or legacy. Was anyone screaming and moaning when Al Oerter talked about a competitive comeback in 1980? Oerter happened to be surprisingly good then, but even if he had thrown 120 feet it wouldn't have diminished his historical record in the SLIGHTEST.

For God's sakes, Moses wants to play around and see what he can make his body do. None of us should have any great hopes for him (although he will certainly place higher than Jon Gill on the annual US list). But, by the same token, none of us need be offended, horrified, disgusted, etc. If any of you feel these emotions coming on, take a chill pill.

Comment

>Why will it be "sad" for you to see him run slower?

Because he used to be able to run faster.>>

Life is such a tragic affair

Comment

Working...
                          X