Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jaack

I'd say the Decathlon is one of the least favoured events from an audience perspective.
    If you were at Hayward this past Sunday and Monday, you'd see something entirely different. Although other events didn't start until 7pm Monday, several people were there at 11:30am for the decathlon and stayed throughout.
    "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Yep - men could do the heptathlon in one day on the circuit, definitely. However, at the champs they should stick to 2 days, the same as women.

It would give a faster, more efficient programme that would be open to more countries. This idea has potential, you know ...

Actually, for the circuit, I'd favour the introduction of a 3 or 4 event multi-event consisting of a run, a jump and a throw, like they had in Glasgow earlier this year indoors. Maybe the shot putt, long jump and 400m? Same for men and women and open to the combined eventers.

Comment

I also think less is more but for a different reason. Posted similar elsewhere, but repeated now here. I would go with a one-day hexathlon, same for both men and women. Three track and three field events, testing different capabilities: speed (100m), speed-endurance combined with hurdling (400h), endurance in the form of middle-distance (1500m), vertical jump (high jump), horizontal jump (long jump) and a throw (discus).

With fewer events, more athletes might become attracted. Technically difficult events, such as pole vault, are poor in that respect.

Comment

Originally posted by AthleticsInBritain
          Yep - men could do the heptathlon in one day on the circuit, definitely. However, at the champs they should stick to 2 days, the same as women.
          But then that would make it too different from what happens at the champs, and people would lose interest in the one-day competitions because they can't be compared to the "real" one which happens in two days at OG and WC (and by extension, it would have to be two days at NCAA, Olympic trials, etc).

Make it one-day across the board, so it's the same in the NCAA, trials, the pro circuit, and WC/OG.

Comment

This subject was discussed at length in a recent thread. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Comment

Here it is:

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=30448

Comment

Working...
              X