Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paavo Nurmi Games, Turku (Kruger 65.25)

Not many high-level marks but it's probably the only meet I'll get to watch in real life this year so I feel compelled to say something about it

Weather: acceptably warm at 13°C, moderate breeze from completely random directions.

First the traditional mad search for somewhere to park the car; necessary part of getting the proper feeling of course After finding a probably completely illegal parking place in some remote alley, a ten-minute dash to the stadium to find out that m5000 is about to finish in times that can only lead one to conclude that - not even counting for any improvements other than shoes and track surface - today's top Finns would have a more than worthy opponent in Paavo the Great. (They very simply don't train hard enough...) Men's discus was a more interesting competition and even all of the more obscure throwers got big bankses (or whatever is the plural of "banks"?) from the crowd for every throw (after all, it's my traditional self-assigned duty to ensure that this is the case :wink Kruger won after a good series, 65.25 being the top mark; he seems to be finding his form. Mikko Kyyrö took second, breaking 60 with his last throw of 60.22 after a ~62m foul earlier on.

Women's pole vault was the other crowd favourite event and I had naturally found a seat about two meters from the vault pit (great opportunity to watch all the pretty girls ) Even a new national record was hoped but for one reason or another, none of the top girls performed as well as expected. Minna Nikkanen (NR holder with 435) and Vanessa Vandy (one of our leading medal hopes for Bydgoszcz with a SB of 431) both cleared all heights up to and including 413, the former with great ease, the latter with some difficulties. After that, both were surprisingly unable to make further clearances; Vandy has had technical problems in the last couple of meets which of course means there won't be so much pressure on her at World Juniors. A couple other Bydgoszczers also competed, but without achieving marks of note.

Left without watching two very weak fields run the w800; then the mad dash back to the car and an even madder speeding home before my bladder exploded, all part of the Traditional Feeling that will never be beaten...

resulta at http://www.tilastopaja.fi/ilmo/aikataulu.php?kisa=98

Comment

maybe not in the 5k, but finland has the 2 fastest marathoners in finland history with both running 2:10 this year breaking esa tikanen's 30 year tinland marathon record.

Comment

Originally posted by doug091463
        maybe not in the 5k, but finland has the 2 fastest marathoners in finland history with both running 2:10 this year breaking esa tikanen's 30 year finland marathon record.

Comment

Working...
        X