• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jnathletics
    • Oct 2005
    • In the Mitten

NBC T&F poll

Hey everyone thought you might be interested that NBC has a Poll asking if the trials should be the end all be all for selection. Right now No is winning 56%-44%. Hopefully, others here agree that it is the best way to select the team

vote at

Question
    Tyson Gay's injury will keep him out of the 200m at the Olympics. Should the U.S. Olympic Track and Field team be determined exclusively based on results at the Trials?
  • marknhj
    • Oct 2005

Thanks for the link. I just voted no.

Comment

• Daisy
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by marknhj
      So now I know who these know-nothings are.

Comment

• Marlow
        • Jan 2008
        • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Originally posted by marknhj
        As did I - NO still winning!!! :twisted:

Comment

• cladthin
          • Oct 2005
          • Right there.

I'm a yes man.

Why don't they put up another poll asking us what we think of the quality, or lack thereof, of their trials production?

Comment

• tandfman
            • Oct 2005

Suppose they asked the question "Should Wallace Spearmon be on the Olympic team?"

Seriously, aren't we better off with a healthy Spearmon running one race than with an iffy Gay who would have the same task of getting through four rounds of the 100 before the 200 that undid him in Eugene? (Yes, I know Gay did that successfully last year, but last year, there weren't as many rounds in Indy and last year he didn't pull up in the 200.)

Comment

• Aiden
              • Feb 2008

Originally posted by tandfman
              Suppose they asked the question "Should Wallace Spearmon be on the Olympic team?"

Seriously, aren't we better off with a healthy Spearmon running one race than with an iffy Gay who would have the same task of getting through four rounds of the 100 before the 200 that undid him in Eugene? (Yes, I know Gay did that successfully last year, but last year, there weren't as many rounds in Indy and last year he didn't pull up in the 200.)
              Problem here is the injury took place at the trials. Supposing we had some sort of selection process apart from this competition, don't you think Gay would have been chosen anyway?

Addressing the thread topic on my own, I'm more inclined these days to believe in the trials. There was a time I was adamant about picking the "obvious" men and women to go to the Games. But 1, I like the idea of a no name, or at least a big underdog, making the team. Only the current trials system allows that possible Hollywood outcome. And 2, the trials, however imperfectly, seem to show who is really in shape and ready to perform at the Olympics.

Plenty of holes there for debate, but that's my take.

Comment

• cladthin
                • Oct 2005
                • Right there.

Maybe some of the Jamaican posters can confirm or deny this but I've heard that only their top two are automatics and their third could be picked.

Comment

• Marlow
                  • Jan 2008
                  • Back on my 3-month hiatus!

Originally posted by tandfman

As much as I like WS, the answer is no, we're not better off. He and TG need a match race in a month. If TG wins, they go again 3-4 days later. If that's too soon for Gay's leg, than WS does go. The team must be selected ON the track, but not necessarily at the OT for the 3rd position. My position would be clearer to everyone if Jennski had missed that third opening jump.

And, about that, this WAS a case where she should have started 20cm lower, just to get a jump and and then pass to what was her opening ht. She missed twice simply because she had been sitting around (not literally, she did continue her 'land' warmup) too long.

Comment

• Jack Slocombe
                    • Oct 2005
                    • Groveland & Sunnyvale CA, & Poulsbo, WA

From Marlow.
                    "As much as I like WS, the answer is no, we're not better off. He and TG need a match race in a month."

Scuse me....The games will have started, (8/8/08), a bit late mate. Or we could poll Bush, McCain, Obama and Clinton, 3 votes to overturn.

I do not want to see a PC competitor. You either make at the OT or you dont. We, as fans, have to have someone to feel sorry for.

BTW: It's cane season, so hunker down.

Comment

• lonewolf
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Indian Territory

I concur that Jennski used poor strategy in sitting it out until 14'11".. I was having flashbacks to O'Brien at NO in 92.

Comment

Working...
                      X