Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BREAUX GREER

Does anyone know if he is in or out of OG?

He will have to file an appeal if he wants to compete as the rules apparently state you must compete in the final in order to qualify for the OG even with the "A" standard.

Personally, it was clear at the Trials that December to late June wasn't enough time for the rotator cuff to heal so he needs to just go on the shelf until next spring.
    "Long may you run"- Neil Young

Comment

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
      He will have to file an appeal if he wants to compete as the rules apparently state you must compete in the final in order to qualify for the OG even with the "A" standard.
      The rules are as clear as mud. I think if he ever challenged a decision excluding him from the team, he'd win.

Originally posted by Mellow Johnny
      Personally, it was clear at the Trials that December to late June wasn't enough time for the rotator cuff to heal so he needs to just go on the shelf until next spring.
      I agree completely. I suspect he does too. That couldn't have been much fun.

Comment

USATF has placed Greer on the U.S. Olympic Team to compete in Beijing...

Comment

Good for him. I hope his shoulder is fit by then and he can really throw.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave
            Then he'll look like a fool for what he said in the Flotrack interview. It's not going to improve that much between now and Beijing. After what he said in the interview, he'd only be going to China for the 'Fun Factor'.

Comment

Well one good thing about the Canadian process- it does try to eliminate athletes who are injured or not ready to give their best at the Olympics.

I think it is ridiculous that an athlete can make a team on a mark from so long ago and without showing any sign that they are ready to be competitive.

Going for the fun factor is disrespectful and a waste of money IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Originally posted by Dave
                Then he'll look like a fool for what he said in the Flotrack interview. It's not going to improve that much between now and Beijing. After what he said in the interview, he'd only be going to China for the 'Fun Factor'.
                I cant believe he filed for this appeal or had anything to do with his placement on the team after that interview. If he did I am not sure what for. He should just stay home and heal. Of course as unpredictable as he is, he will probably go out and win a gold and NBC will eat it up

Comment

Originally posted by mojo
                  Really? Not me. The 'Fun Factor' is always important to me as an athlete (sic) and coach. If he can go and not displace anyone else, and has 'earned' a spot (which according to the rules of the IOC, IAAF, USOC, and USATF he has), why shouldn't he go and have fun?

Comment

The worst that happens is he goes to Beijing and does bad. He didn't bump anyone else off the team; I am all for letting him compete.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      Really? Not me. The 'Fun Factor' is always important to me as an athlete (sic) and coach. If he can go and not displace anyone else, and has 'earned' a spot (which according to the rules of the IOC, IAAF, USOC, and USATF he has), why shouldn't he go and have fun?
                      Oh come on...of course athletes should have fun. :roll: Competing to the best of your abiltiy is fun.

No self respecting athlete should go to an Olympics without knowing that they can do the best they can. Whether that be make the finals or have a shot at a PB. Those things are fun.

Sure he may not be taking anyone's place but I still think there should some mechanism (which we have up here) in which an injured athlete must show that they are ready to compete-up here that means achieving at least a B standard in a case like Greer's.

As a coach I would not let an athlete I coach go on a team (and in fact have been in this situation albeit not the Olympics) to just be a tourist.

Obviously your country's criteria lets him go-I think that is wrong. Greer should also say-hey i can go but i won't unless i can do well.

Comment

The worse that can happen for Greer is that while competing in Beijing, he injures his shoulder even more. I would say he should stay home and concentrate on Berlin in 2009.

Comment

Sure he may not be taking anyone's place but I still think there should some mechanism (which we have up here) in which an injured athlete must show that they are ready to compete
                          Jeez, you criticize your country's Oly selection procedures 51.5 weeks out of the year, and suddenly the Canuckian OC is the bastion of common sense? We have a protocol in place to send people to Beijing. Greer fulfills those criteria, so I think it's entirely up to him whether he accepts the spot and NO ONE ( :twisted: ) else gets a vote but him. But, as I pointed out earlier, if he did accept the spot and go, that would contradict what he said in the Flotrack interview (which wouldn't be all that hard to do, because he even contradicts himself several times, depending on whether it is the Good Bro or the Evil Bro talking (he doesn't have a split personality, he has a compound fractured personality (which I enjoy listening to, absurd as his statements are (and yeah, I think his #1 priority is to create Shock and Awe in his listeners)))) [is that a new MB record for embedded parens?]

Comment

I do criticize aspects of my country's selection criteria just as I am criticizing part of yours. I have never said our system is completely wrong. And yes I believe athletes must prove fitness if they have been injured and not performed well for close to a year. :shock: No one should get on the team due to some long ago performance. THAT aspect of AC's standards I wholeheartedlly agree with.

Of course Greer gets to decide because that is the way your current system works. I believe it is wrong and should be changed. I have no say in that but I can still be critical of what I see as a serious flaw.

So yeah Greer can go but he shouldn't. And I doubt he will for many reasons.

Comment

Breaux's interview was likely pure theater. I think he knew that it was very unlikely that anyone else would throw an A standard so by competing in the qualifiers, he was one the team. As a result, he could be outrageous in the interview. Can you imagine if he had walked in and said: "Dude, no one else will get an A throw so I am just going through the motions today so I can use my "A" throws from last year to petition my way on. I'll spend the next several weeks getting well in order to throw in Beijing." Now, that would have been an outrageous interview.

Comment

Working...
                              X