Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marion Jones

Will Marion Jones win a gold medal in the 100m, 200m,at the 2004 Olypics in Ahtens,Greese.

Re: Marion Jones

I think she will be back in full form and hopefully a bit sharper and will win golds in both individual events. I also think she will compete in both relays and will win golds there too. She should wait until she has accomplished more on the track in terms of going for FloJo's records before competing in the long jump. There are too many risks of her injuring her back and or knees. Follow the path of Carl Lewis by concentrating on the long jump when the speed begins to fade.

Comment

Lewis' path was actually to concentrate on everything until the speed began to fade. He then focused primarily on the long jump.

Comment

>Lewis' path was actually to concentrate on everything until the speed began to
        >fade. He then focused primarily on the long jump.

i'm not sure about that

how many 200's did he run between '88 & '92?

Comment

Carl didn't run many 200m races from 1988-1992. The only races I can think of are the qualifying rounds and the final of the USA Olympic Trials Men's 200m, and the qualfying rounds and final of the 1988 Seoul OG Men's 200m.
          He did 'come back' to the 200m event within competition in 1993 competing in the Stuttgart World Championships Men's 200m qualifying rounds and final where he finished in 3rd place (Bronze medal position)in 19.99s

Comment

When I said "concentrate on everything," I really meant running and jumping as a general matter.

Even if he did not run many 200 races between 88 and 92, he was still concentrating on both sprinting and jumping.

That represents a different approach from the previous poster's suggestion that Marion concentrate on sprints but not jumping and then eventually switch to concentrate on jumping but not sprints.

Comment

"After a year away from track and field while on maternity leave, Marion Jones returns to competition in the
              60 meters
              on Friday night at the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden."

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/02/04/sport ... a1&ei=5062

Comment

Even if he did not run many 200 races between 88 and
                >92, he was still concentrating on both sprinting and jumping.

if you're a sprinter by name (i.e. a 100/200 guy) & you basically don't run a 200 in 4y,how can you still be defined as "concentrating" on sprinting?

Comment

Eldrick,

Donovan Bailey almost never ran the 200m. Was he still considered a sprinter? Yes.

Carl Lewis was a sprinter, and concentrated on sprinting.

Thank you for the semantic argument.

Comment

>Eldrick,

Donovan Bailey almost never ran the 200m. Was he still considered
                    >a sprinter? Yes.

Carl Lewis was a sprinter, and concentrated on
                    >sprinting.

Carl was a COMPLETE sprinter (100 & 200),bailey was not.

if you're a complete sprinter & don't run the 200m anymore,well, i would say that you're not a full-time sprinter anymore

he was half-100m runner/half LJ-er between '88-'92

you would have to say he gave up the 200m to concentrate on the LJ during those years,but evidence of '90/'91 showed that he had not lost any of his speed & could probably performed as well as ever over 200 during those years as in the early '80's

you're main assertion was that he concentrated solely on LJ after his sprinting waned - i argue that he concentrated on LJ all his career

Comment

<"After a year away from track and field while on maternity leave, Marion Jones returns to competition in the
                      60 meters
                      on Friday night at the Millrose Games at Madison Square Garden.">

....and all the author talks about is, how she is "tainted". It makes you sick.
                      "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                      by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                      X